Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions on usernames

Options
  • 05-01-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭

Are there are restrictions on usernames? For instance could i create an account (obviously i would close this one first) that contains a swear word or rude phrase? What if that swear word or rude phrase was in a different language? Would that be acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is there a particular example you have in mind?

In general, we try to avoid downright swear words or offensive words as usernames, but we also try to strike a balance between sensibility and freedom of expression. If there is a username you want to raise, please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any update on this? I've PM'd you a couple of times since the new year with no reply.

Any update on this?

I apologise, I have been quite busy in real life and have not spent further time on this. I will have a response for you soon.

apologies for posting the second comment this morning asking for an update. I couldn't see the comment i posted last night so assumed that i had forgotten to post it.

• Advertisement

No worries, that is one of the downsides of pre-moderation

OK, sorry for the delay. The Boards Terms of Use states the following. I'm of the opinion that it applies regardless of language used, and I will follow up accordingly.
    You may not select or use a username that:

Contains "Boards" or otherwise misrepresents your relationship with boards.ie or any other party;
    Contains any profanity, is vulgar or offensive, or promotes an illegal activity;
    Violates any trade mark or other proprietary right; or
    Misleadingly impersonates someone else.

Thanks for getting back to me Dudara. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement