Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best films to test your dolby digital surround sound.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ivan E wrote:
    Coincidentally mossym, was apollo 13 released as a special edition or some way differently than the normal pressed dvds and did it have 5.1? Or is the below information incorrect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/dvd

check the release date on the dts version...movie released in 95..dts version dvd released in march 99..

Rating:Rating: PG

Runtime:140 Minutes

Label: Universal

Studio: Universal Studios

Release Date: 1999-03-16

DVD Format: Keep Case, Widescreen Anamorphic, 2.35:1, 0, Color, Sides:1 (SS-RSDL)

DVD Features: Audio Track 1: English, DTS, Audio Track 2: English, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

so seeing as though the Matrix only hit cinemas in summer 99...do you still think it's dvd was before appollo 13?

oh, and btw, they are just two i thought of, i'm sure i could go back a find a lot mroe before the matrix as well.

and if you really want to get into surround sound history..have a look at the details for the laserdisc releases of braveheart..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112573/laserdisc

and more history

Dolby developed a digital surround sound compression scheme for the cinema. Dolby Stereo Digital (now simply called Dolby Digital) was first featured on the 1992 film Batman Returns. Introduced to the home theater market as Dolby AC-3 with the 1995 laserdisc release of Clear and Present Danger, the format did not become widespread in the consumer market, partly because of extra hardware that was necessary to make use of it, until it was adopted as part of the DVD specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Okay, that wasn't clear from your post. You seem to be suggesting that it was released in '95 with a dts soundtrack. I'm sure all movies released to dvd retrospectively included a 5.1 soundtrack.

What I am saying is that I was lead to believe that the Matrix was one of the first movies to design its soundtrack around the 5.1 format making full use of its benefits and that was very evident on the dvd release. I did say 'believe' and 'could be wrong'.

I can't find anything to support that or find anything to suggest what movie did. Looking into some of the issues of promoting dvd's when they first arrived, it seems most effort was put into focusing on the clarity of the images. It's only on demonstrating that they noticed how interested people were in the sound being generated.

to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the Matrix was the first movie to have planned effects for 5.1. .i.e. they decided to put special sounds into scenes jsut for 5.1 benefit..and planned that before it was shot.

but, i have my doubts In 1999 the dvd culture was not that old. dvd sales weren't a fraction of what they are now. now sales of dvds are a factor in any movie. Back then they weren't. to spend extra time on something for the dvd release may not have made sense back then

what i was arguing was your point that the matrix was the first movie to make full use of surround sound. planned or otherwise. the matrix has a good soundtrack, but i'd rate saving private ryan above it.

However, i can't svay for definite that it was planned before it was shot..so lets agree to disagree..:).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like the surround sound on "castaway", good plane crash sounds, and water sounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Star Wars: A Musical Journey (which comes free with the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack) is a lovely demo disk - perfect for showing off your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Ivan E wrote:
    I can't find anything to support that or find anything to suggest what movie did. Looking into some of the issues of promoting dvd's when they first arrived, it seems most effort was put into focusing on the clarity of the images. It's only on demonstrating that they noticed how interested people were in the sound being generated.

Unfortunately thats still the case, people still buying big screen plasmas....and using the built in speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Matrix, Saving Private Ryan and Star Wars all get my vote. Also the DVD of The Incredibles included a short movie called Jack Jack Attack which was nice too, especially when Jack Jack bursts into flames !!

Master & Commander sounded fantastic in the cinema but on DVD I was disappointed, the canon balls didn't have the same dynamic range, I think they used compression to reduce it.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

A brilliant way to demo your surround system is 6.1 dts Top Gun. Enough use of LFE to shake your fillings out!
    Se7en dts is excellent.
    MACTFSOTW is one of the best too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tonio

I know it is not strictly a film but the sound of that tree falling in the rain forest episode of Planet Earth on the BBC HD channel last Sunday was awesome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Surprised no-one mentioned Blade II here. The quality of sound on the disc is superb, a real benchmark of what most other movies should strive towards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i hears the mummy or the mummy returns was meant to be excellent...maybe that was just for image quality...i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I know its an absolutely crap film but its recognised as one of the best to test your subwoofer/low end specifically - Godzilla...

Get to the scene where he's walking up the street... seriously high impacting low frequency sounds from a light tremble to earth shattering...

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Saving Private Ryan R1 is the DTS reference disc.
    I found Master and Commander to be incredible in sourround, and U-571 is a great example of how good a simple 5.1 mix can be.
    There's a scene in Dragonheart where the dragon flies around Quaids head and, if your system is set up correctly, the dragon flies around your room! I think it's Chapter 13.

Other than that it's as mentioned above, LOTRs, Galdiator (the opening battle is a great test of dynamics), Snakes on a Plane (rental) has a good 6.1 ES DTS track and Battle Royale 2 has an amazing if unsubtle soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Most of the animations have great sound - check out the LFEs when the little girl laughs in Mosters Inc or when the dentist taps the fish tank in Finding Nemo. Or the bird in A Bug's Life. Or the robot in The Incredibles. Love them all.
    Metropolis(anime) has great DTS. Ice Age has great 5.1 also.

Also I recommend I, Robot; Minority Report; Terminator 2; Gladiator; The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over; Superman Returns, Phantom of the Opera (96/24), GalaxyQuest (Region 1 full bitrate DTS)..

As TV Series go Rome has very impressive DD 5.1

There are loads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IamtheSaint

Hands down I just do not think there is a better surround movie than
    The Polar Express. with a great subwoofer like klipsch 10 inch or 12 inch your entire house rumbles and vibrates and you just can't take the pressure of the sub woofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

My favorite movie just for sound alone has to be We Were Soldiers
    While the Matrix, LOTR etx are good, I can't beat two scenes in this movie, the first is helicopter assault where they are coming on both sides from behind you and the second is an airstrike, quite valley where you can hear the wind go through the grass and then the scream of a jet and multiple explosions all around you. AWESOME!

Advertisement