Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to Find Housing

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

SteM wrote: »
    No you're right, I don't love my dog :rolleyes:
    When they have to resort to insults or telling people what way they feel about their pet, you know who's the more reasonable objective person.

And if they're on their own it's very easy to say they'd sleep on a park bench rather than give up their dog, but if they'd a family?

No point in saying "don't get a dog" to people who have a dog already either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jay_mate_jay

When they have to resort to insults or telling people what way they feel about their pet, you know who's the more reasonable objective person.

And if they're on their own it's very easy to say they'd sleep on a park bench rather than give up their dog, but if they'd a family?

No point in saying "don't get a dog" to people who have a dog already either.

Similarly its pointless saying 'Just get rid' because quite simply its not an option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Similarly its pointless saying 'Just get rid' because quite simply its not an option

Why isn't it?

It's only a dog. Would you prefer to be homeless?

Then you will have difficulty finding accommodation.

Interesting too the way people simply pointing out this indisputable fact = cruel to dogs. :D

Could friends or family take him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

We're going a little of topic here folks.

If you'd like to debate the pros and cons of pet ownership, I'm sure there's an appropriate forum somewhere.

Otherwise let's take it for granted the OP is going to find it harder to source rental accommodation with a pet.

Does anyone have any useful suggestion how the OP might make the presence of a pet less off-putting to a potential landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

There's an IT article here. It might give you some ideas but from reading it it looks like apartments are usually a no-go with pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

I was wondering what tips or if anyone had any recommendations they could lend please

We are a very respectable family with good jobs and a very well behaved dog trying to move into a rental home in the Swords area in Dublin but nothing seems to be aligning.

Would anyone be able to help please!

I was talking to my former colleague who is renting with a dog. She basically did sort of a resume for her dog: included photos of him, described his daily care, character, habits etc. She said she was asked to pay a higher deposit as an extra security so maybe you could offer the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Very small sample size but the only people I know renting with a dog got their place through word of mouth at their work from someone who had dogs themselves. Working out fine, the place isn't exactly a palace but all seem happy.

Maybe put a notice up in work if allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im genuinely astounded by the negativity surrounding pets and children renting, how are any family's meant to stand a chsnce?

Having moved from England where this is not even an issue as long as you can prove you can pay your way and that you won't trash the gaff, I begin to see where the issues lie in the rental crisis.

We are lucky at the moment that we are living with family so we can bide our time a little but I'm shocked at so much of a negative response, even more so at the people who thinks it's okay to just dispose of a dog that's been a member of the family longer than my child has! Therefore love has no bounds for both my child and dog

Solid advice would be buy a house before you get a dog.

OP , disregard anyone comparing dogs to children or giving them the same priority as a human being, theyre not quite in the frame of mind to think rationally about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I had a tenant put a dog in and did not tell me. Back door destroyed, urine smell of the cupboard under the stairs where a dog had a duvet. Skirting board eaten as dog teething. Smell everywhere. Sofa destroyed as well. Carpets were cleaned and the smell was awful.
    I was not happy and after that it was no to all dogs.

Then another brought a cat in without my permission. I allergies and had a feeling cats were there but could not prove it. Carpet was cleaned and hair lifted in the pile in the end I had to replace the carpet.

You need to be upfront with your potential landlord. Your landlord could give you notice in the 6months and you are back to square one. Ask your landlord now to add areference for the dog and state if damage was made by the dog. Offer a larger deposit and definately give as much information about it. If the dog is small maybe bring with you on second viewing or offer to bring the dog so landlord can see it. Take photos of where you are now and even off the protential landlord to visit where you are now so they know the house will be looked after. If the dog is in dog daycare let them know if you are out all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

2 nice families that landllord spends 5 minutes talking to both, both seem grand, not much to distinguish between them. One has a dog, the other doesn't. Landlord rents to the family without the dog. People here may not like it but that would be the case 90% of the time. Why should the landlord take on an extra risk, no matter how unlikely, if didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Doesn't help is a complete understatement. It's a huge problem, most landlords will want nothing to do with you.

Just don’t say you have a god damn dog and you’ll be grand ffs. You don’t have to tell the landlord every small detail

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just don’t say you have a god damn dog and you’ll be grand ffs. You don’t have to tell the landlord every small detail
    Really bright answer I must say. Dog easily discovered and if landlord is serious he/she will have a no pet clause in the lease, OP will receive a warning notice to get rid of dog within 14 days followed by a 28 days termination notice for breach of lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

We rented a few times with a Dog. The best way we found was to go see the property and express interest.

Once the process get started mention the Dog to the landlord as he already have indicated that he do consider you as a possible tenant.

Offer to meet in person to meet the dog, and to pay a extra month deposit if possible, to add a liability clause in the contract if needed.

It’s a bit more complicated but not impossible to find something. Houses will be easier as some apartments have a no pets policy.

Daft have a pets alowed filter available, but if not mentioned No pets in the add I would always give it a try.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Graham wrote: »
    Mod

Does anyone have any useful suggestion how the OP might make the presence of a pet less off-putting to a potential landlord?

A wig and a dress, ET style ;)

Noticeboard in the vets in swords/santry? They might be seen by potentially understanding and more pet loving landlords.

Or try posting on the Boards pet/animal pages?

Getting a reference for the dog is a great idea - and one of the cutest things ever. :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Getting a reference for the dog is a great idea - and one of the cutest things ever. :o:D
    It's a waste of the OP's time imo. With the current rental market, for every prospective tenant with a "Doggy CV" for the landlord to review, there's probably 20 others interested in the property without any pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

During the downturn I was forced to accept tenants with a dog. While the dog didn’t destroy my property and I am a dog lover, the attitude of those tenants to me and my property at that time where they took advantage has left a significant marker in my mind.

Since then I associate dogs as low point in being a LL, to the point of now where I would likely go out of my way to avoid a reoccurrence. I strongly suspect I am not alone in this.
    On this basis, Id suggest trying to present humility to any perspective landlord, showing a recognition that the dog is a problem, where perhaps upfront offering to supply an additional deposit or a one off cost of replacing some carpets, a deep clean when leaving, even the cost of replacing a back door upfront might help persuade some prospective LLSs. I know this is going to run to a few K's but for me that's what it would take. Perhaps using the part 4 timeline as the exact time to pay the one off cost would lower the risk for the tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Moonjet wrote: »
    It's a waste of the OP's time imo. With the current rental market, for every prospective tenant with a "Doggy CV" for the landlord to review, there's probably 20 others interested in the property without any pets.

And yet renters with a dog occasionally manage to find somewhere to live.

Advertisement