Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggling to Find Housing

Options
  • 14-01-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was wondering what tips or if anyone had any recommendations they could lend please

We are a very respectable family with good jobs and a very well behaved dog trying to move into a rental home in the Swords area in Dublin but nothing seems to be aligning.

Would anyone be able to help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Have you left your details in with local EA's? They may let you know of properties that are coming up for rent before they are advertised.

Not to come across as too negative, but having a dog in this rental market doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Not to come across as too negative, but having a dog in this rental market doesn't help.

Doesn't help is a complete understatement. It's a huge problem, most landlords will want nothing to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aye it's the dog I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Most potential neighbours will want nothing to do with you either.

antix80 wrote: »

I don't think the neighbours get a say

• Advertisement

I don't think the neighbours get a say

You'd be surprised. The LL may want to keep neighbours on side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

As others have mentioned. Speaking from ll point of view, i dont get care what type of jobs you have etc. if you have dogs or cats, i stay well away from them. Initially when i was first a ll, i was open to them as i have a dog myself however through experience of scratches on doors,floors,couch marks, odd smells. Complaints from neighbours all lead me to believe they are not worth the hassle. You can offer extra deposit amounts but tbh, i still woulsnt want any pets in my places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yup you are gonna have to lose the dog op.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jay_mate_jay

I struggle to believe that every landlord will refuse dogs.

I could not get rid of him so I suppose I'll have to keep trying

Every LL probably won't but every EA will - try going directly to LL's and offering a large pet deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

You want to live in the swords area so you're limiting location, you need a family property so you're further limiting your property type in a difficult rental market. You've already got a small subset of properties to choose from but you are limiting it even further by having a dog in afraid. Not every landlord will refuse a dog but all it takes is every landlord in your limited subset to refuse and you'll struggle to get a place.

That’s tough, I understand how hard that would be to give up your dog. What kind of a dog is it ? How big is your family ?
    You should think of Drogheda , it’s only 20 mins up the road, lots of space , good motorway , cheaper and possibly more houses to rent .

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

My friend is renting a lovely 2bed house (newly refurbished) in Stoneybatter and she has a dog that she brought with her all the way from Canada.

My previous colleague is renting an apt in Sandyford and she has a dog that she brought with her all the way from Sweden.

It wasn't easy to bring their pets here and find accommodation but they managed. They are both renting directly from landlords and were very upfront about having pets.

Do not give up on your pet :) You will find a home for all of you! I'd suggest not limiting yourself just to Swords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I was wondering what tips or if anyone had any recommendations they could lend please

We are a very respectable family with good jobs and a very well behaved dog trying to move into a rental home in the Swords area in Dublin but nothing seems to be aligning.

Would anyone be able to help please!

before I even came into this thread I was gambling in my mind, HAP or dog.

Put the dog in a kennel, youve literally taken 90% of rentals off your chances.

before I even came into this thread I was gambling in my mind, HAP or dog.

Put the dog in a kennel, youve literally taken 90% of rentals off your chances.

Why don't you check yourself into a kennel?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I like dogs, I do , but the majority of landlords don't. People see them as another child or part of the family or whatever, but your landlord sees a smelly house he has to change all the carpets in and possibly furniture damage or complaints from neighbours.

I know landlords who have dogs who would never dare allow a dog in a rental. There are ofcourse houses that take them but you really are removing your chances in 90% of the rental market in Ireland.

The easiest way to find a house that will take a dog is to find one that takes students and is a bit run down. But then its not a place to raise kids, family with a dog on hap is the absolute hardest demographic to house, the OP is ticks all but one of the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I'd rather have a dog in my rental property any day than children....

OP, please don't give up, there are landlords out there that will accept your pet. Just broaden your search and be prepared to offer an extra deposit. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I am a landlord and we accepted a dog.

The garden is very big though and there are no carpets downstairs.

I dont like dogs myself but the tenants have kept the house very well.

I want the house back soon and everything else available in the area and there isnt much is about four hundred euros more than I am charging. Most of the properties have small gardens too so I dont know what the tenants are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

antix80 wrote: »

Because of a dog? Do they lower the house prices or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Barking maybe.
    You make that comment to them just for being realistic? I adore dogs but property owners and agents are regularly reluctant to have them in their rental unit.

• Advertisement

Barking maybe.

You make that comment to them just for being realistic? I adore dogs but property owners and agents are regularly reluctant to have them in their rental unit.

It's a very cruel thing to say imo You wouldn't think of giving your child away just because you can't find a new apt. I am being very realistic, I know it's not going to be easy to find a place with a dog but it is possible (as I mentioned two of my friends have dogs and are renting). Most people here are so negative, its so sad.

Landlords out there are charging huge amounts in rent for badly furnished, disgusting, mouldy, cold apartments, cop on - it is just a dog! Deposit should cover any damages (increase it if you are worried). Like someone said before children could do more damage to your property than a dog.

Anyone who tells him to give away his pet to a kennel has no heart. Hope someone will treat you like that one day - dispose, just because you are not convinient anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

It's a very cruel thing to say imo You wouldn't think of giving your child away just because you can't find a new apt. I am being very realistic, I know it's not going to be easy to find a place with a dog but it is possible (as I mentioned two of my friends have dogs and are renting). Most people here are so negative, its so sad.

Landlords out there are charging huge amounts in rent for badly furnished, disgusting, mouldy, cold apartments, cop on - it is just a dog! Deposit should cover any damages (increase it if you are worried). Like someone said before children could do more damage to your property than a dog.

Anyone who tells him to give away his pet to a kennel has no heart. Hope someone will treat you like that one day - dispose, just because you are not convinient anymore.

Well the OP wanted honest advice, they got honest advice... Facts don't care about feelings, cold but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Most apartments and high density developments from the last 20 years don't allow dogs, individual landlords don't necessarily have a choice. The problem with Swords is that a huge swathe of the available housing falls into that property age bracket.

Removing negativity and comments about simply giving the dog away (which is far from an option) it appears my likely solutions are persistance, higher deposit offered and going direct to landlords. But with most things in daft.ie going through agencies how do you go direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like dogs but once had to house share with a girl who owned one. Honestly the bang of dog would hit you in the face upon opening the front door. Add to that the mess whenever it got sick and scuttered or puked and enough hair to fill a mattress left after it. It was a fairly large dog, think people who leave them unattended all day while they're at work have no business keeping one. Wasn't that sorry to see them leave.

Don't advertise the fact that you have a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Way to get kicked out of any place they might get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

You wouldn't think of giving your child away just because you can't find a new apt.

No because he's my child and not a dog. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog but if I couldn't find a suitable place to stay because of him then I would consider giving him up. Comparing the love I have for my child to a dog is bonkers imo.

I feel like you'd have to in some strange way.. Like could the LL could consider it a breach of contrsct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tretorn wrote: »
    I am a landlord and we accepted a dog.

The garden is very big though and there are no carpets downstairs.

I dont like dogs myself but the tenants have kept the house very well.

I want the house back soon and everything else available in the area and there isnt much is about four hundred euros more than I am charging. Most of the properties have small gardens too so I dont know what the tenants are going to do.

Until the day you rent to a irresponsible dog owner and see the damage they can cause. Then it becomes a blanket ban. I know lots of landlords, it always goes that way. Family's with children are next on the list.
    Removing negativity and comments about simply giving the dog away (which is far from an option) it appears my likely solutions are persistence, higher deposit offered and going direct to landlords. But with most things in daft.ie going through agencies how do you go direct?

Your options are very limited.
    • You want a specific area within the city limits.
    • Supply is constrained right now.
    • Pets are not wanted by most landlords.
    • Children are not wanted by most landlords.

You can of course still get a property. But the chances of getting somewhere are significantly less and the work involved in getting one will be significantly more.

If you want to increase your chances and reduce the workload.
    • Increase your search area, it will add more property's to the pool.
    • Consider moving out of the city, country homes are more accepting of family's and pets.
    • Find a home for the dog.

Advertisement