Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil big drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It not mumblings. Oil fired power plants that were used as back-up are now being used as primary electricity generation systems. Large companies are also switching systems to oil where possible.

On the positive side more refining capacity has been coming on stream. But refining uses a lot of gas, so cost of refining will remain high.

Realistically, the only thing that will solve the issue is peace in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭obi604

I have a day/night meter for electricity. 7.9 cent a kilowatt at night and 27.4 cent a kw during the day

What I might do to heat water is use the immersion in the morning at the cheaper 7.9 cent a kilowatt (an hour or so)

And then use oil for the evening time. But.......im not sure how much oil would be needed with the boiler on for an hour, not sure if 0.5 litres or 2.5 litres etc

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What size jet is in the burner? With no rads turned on and a standard sized copper cylinder it should run for approximately 30 minutes of the timed 60 minutes. A 0.6 jet delivers 2.27 litres per hour in constant running, jets are measured in US gallons per hour. That should give you some idea of the fuel being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

I always surprised how fast oil companies reacts to price increases on Brent crude. It went up 4 percent (Saudi mentionet production cuts what a coincidence when oil was going dow) in few days and they up the prices straight away. I don't think they had to restock their tanks 3 times in 5 days and were buying oil for increased price. On the other end when price goes down they wait until they use inventories and then reduce the price. In Kerry kerosene went up from 620 to 685 in 5 days. Honestly the price of home heating oil should be set and regulated by government it is essential for people and we are the ones producing money for State so they should by looking for us as well. KEEP US WARM FOR REASONABLE PRICE for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭obi604

Not sure on the size of the jet burner. It’s a 20 year old firebird oil burner. Let’s say it uses 1 litre of oil for the hour it’s turned on - that’s still 1.24 Euro.

and the immersion for an hour would be 0.2743 x 3 = 82 cent

so looks cheaper to use immersion versus oil, even on day rate electricity ………..I think

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Villa05

I know, but didn't want to panic the herd too much

Thanks for you post yesterday prompted me to pull the trigger

Can't see peace in Ukraine, given what is being done their. Has to be a Ukraine win, Russian pull out. Even at that there will be reluctance to business with R under the current regime

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow - 10% increase surely above the line of the percentage in rises in Crude/Refinery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

That was with TopOil at the time. I literally checked it this morning to see if I'd made the right decision at the time and it was up to 665. It's now 700. Mad.

For what it's worth, SUMMER22 takes a tenner off it.

• Advertisement

The increase in oil price takes 10-14 days. Oil price has not been that volatile recently. The refining margin has. And a fuel station does get a delivery 2-3 times a week. (The biggest road tankers can carry about 35,000 litres - that's just 1,000 cars @ average 35 litres)

The US dollar change is almost immediate as its paid when the fuel leaves the refinery - so can be as short as 2 days

The refining price change is about 3-7 days depending on where it comes from. If Pembroke, Stanlow or Milford haven in the UK or Whitegate in Cork, prices will feed into pumps in 4-5 days.

To give an example on refining changes for heating oil / diesel - 15th July $47, 25th July $35, 1st Aug $42, 11th Aug $32 (this was what brought heating oil to €1200 early last week literally 5 days after the price dropped), yesterday $58 - a $26 difference between lowest and highest in just 5 weeks!

On 11th Aug the dollar was at 1.037, so it was a double boost and meant that many oil suppliers dropped under €1200 for 3-4 days.

The $58 refining margin yesterday and 99c exchange rate equates to a litre price difference from the refinery since Aug 11th of 19.5c. Add 13.5% vat and it is 22c - or €220 per 1,000 litres.

The increase in oil prices this week still ahs to feed in as does the further refining increase since Monday. You will find it difficult to get 1,000 litres for under €1400 at the end of next week unless refining margins drop suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

Not the bright future in front of us. If you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Texoil yesterday quoted me €700 for 500 litres. Thats literally double what I paid for 500 litres less than 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its only going one way folks and thats up. Need a half fill myself and should have pulled the trigger last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly. But the bullet yesterday. Father in law was supposed to have organised it with a lad working for one of the companies locally but that didn't work out. 1000l for 1324.

Unfortunately not.

The increase in refinery combined with the dollar under parity equated to over 22c jump inc vat) from Aug 11th low to what will feed in next week. That's about 18% on kerosene (far less percentage wise on diesel as duty and other costs are fixed - and little difference in petrol as refining cost is under $20 for petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

My usual supplier in Cork has gone up 14% or so since hitting a low of €1,200 per 1,000L

an my guess is another €60 or so to be added next week to bring it to €1420 based on the refining increase earlier this week - at that, the supplier has a gross profit of about €70-€80 before costs.

On 18th Aug (last Thurs, post 1408) I said to be quick and order asap at €1200 as I could see €1350 coming this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

I ordered from McGuckian Oil, Cork this evening at 136 per litre.

They told me that tomorrow morning, they are increasing this to 139 per litre.

It's getting complicated.

If Iran has oil sanctions lifted, not alone can their export the full production capability of their own (which would only apparently add 1.4 million barrels per day to global supply), but the Russians will ship them crude, Iran will refine it and ship that too, allowing Russia to ship oil through the backdoor. Be interesting to see if Europe would let that slide. I can't see it myself.

On the other hand Saudi's Energy Minister is talking about pushing OPEC to reduce production. Personally, I hope he gets piles, and the piles burst, and he sits on chili powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

At the moment, the Saudis are buying Russian oil for their own use, and exporting Saudi oil... But who's to know what's actually happening with it.

We could be getting Russian oil or a mix of oil, all with a "made in Saudi Arabia stamp"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is the worst named thread in the history of Internet threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Name made sense over 2y ago when I opened this thread 😂😂😂

This is the worst post on the history of......

If you've nothing constructive to say, say nothing.

😔

Ok, as above

+ a smiley ☺️ as it is intended to be funny.

+ text to explain that this was humour borne out of expectation and frustration at the current oil price situation.

+ a request that thread should be renamed to "Latest Heating Oil Price" or something more informative and less misleading.

Fair enough.

Crazy times ahead.

I've 600L in the (900L) tank, and 1000L in an ibc.

I'd be happier if I could top up the tank at a reasonable rate, but that ain't happening.

More stuff to worry about. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I've just got rid of my two IBC tanks after I was advised that they are not good for storing kerosene.

This was borne out after I had to replace the pump on my boiler and regularly replace (three times) the nozzle, all during last winter after using kerosene that was stored in the IBC tanks for approx nine months. Both the pump and the nozzle filters were full of thick pink goo!!

Any comments? Has anyone had the same or similar problem?

• Advertisement

What was previously stored in the ibc prior to you getting it?

Did you wash and dry the inside before you filled it with kero?

Advertisement