Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Northern Distributor Road

Options
  • 17-05-2019 10:46pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The publication of the CMATS public consultation this week has revealed a plan for the Cork Northern Distributor Road, an inner north ring.

This is likely to be fairly costly given the terrain it will cross.

480564.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

An interesting development in today's paper

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Planning-refusal-hints-at-progress-on-Corks-Northern-Ring-Road--fe066f2d-8e74-47d5-a9e7-19557234edb5-ds

CORK politicians are seeking answers on Government plans for a Northern Ring Road in the city after a developer was denied permission for a housing estate extension as the site is too close to the preferred route.

Should it not encircle the city? So outside Blarney and Da 'Collig?

It'll just be a commuter road, where it is, driving housing development along it and choking it up. M50 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Should it not encircle the city? So outside Blarney and Da 'Collig?

It'll just be a commuter road, where it is, driving housing development along it and choking it up. M50 anyone?

This is separate to the NRR and is meant for local traffic movements.

The planning permission denied is for the route of the NRR and not this road.

I've asked for the posts to be moved.

Ah I mis-read

Still think that the NRR should be outside Blarney

Does the NDR still come down Mayfield/Silversprings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Ah I mis-read

Still think that the NRR should be outside Blarney

Does the NDR still come down Mayfield/Silversprings?

See the map at the top of the thread.

Yeah I am on mobile and it LOOKS like it does, just want someone to confirm the lunacy of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

When I lived in Cork it was nearly impossible to drive directly from somewhere like Victoria Cross out to the Mallow Road. You had to either go into the City Centre and take the N20 out from there or go all the way around the South Ring and onto city street/road hybrids to get to the Blarney Bypass. The few times I tried to do a movement like that directly it was ... interesting to say the least.

Along with light rail, electrification of their suburban network and a proper ring road bypass, Cork would be doing well if it had everything that is now proposed.

SeanW wrote: »
    When I lived in Cork it was nearly impossible to drive directly from somewhere like Victoria Cross out to the Mallow Road.

Up to Anglers Rest, out to Muskerry, Blarney, Mallow road

The people of Cloghroe/Tower will be upset you forgot them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

For the western quadrant, there are many options but of course all of them are L roads, barely wide enough in places to fit 2 cars, with lots of junctions and accesses, loss of priority, steep gradients etc etc

For a city the size of Cork, before you consider that that section of the city ring has the city’s biggest employee along it, it’s totally inadequate. The fact that it’s a struggle to get anything of note advanced along there is worse.

They don't count, just west Blarney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Meh, I couldn't tell you about any of those places, I just remember getting lost :D :pac:

Really needs a proper road by right, going out that way.

SeanW wrote: »
    Meh, I couldn't tell you about any of those places, I just remember getting lost :D :pac:

Really needs a proper road by right, going out that way.

All i know is from Great Gas at Leemount Cross to Cloghroe is one of the worst roads i've driven in a rig, between the bends and the humpback bridge you wouldn't want to be lifting it unless you think you're Michael Knight or Bo & Luke Duke :D I've seen many a vehicle hit the ditch along there over the years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Housing development in Mayfield refused due to potential corridor infringement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40061141.html

marno21 wrote: »
    Housing development in Mayfield refused due to potential corridor infringement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40061141.html

Is this site in question the waste land behind the fox and hounds where a Tesco was once proposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Its on that long field that run between the road at the back of the horse and hound and the current North Ring Road!

Just a comment on the article, two very different reasons listed as reject reasons. Road and ecological park don't normally go hand and hand

rounders wrote: »
    Its on that long field that run between the road at the back of the horse and hound and the current North Ring Road!

Just a comment on the article, two very different reasons listed as reject reasons. Road and ecological park don't normally go hand and hand

I’m convinced it’s the bog land between the north ring road and the Banduff road right behind the housing estate where the fox and hounds is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

I’m convinced it’s the bog land between the north ring road and the Banduff road right behind the housing estate where the fox and hounds is

I think it's a Floodplain

rounders wrote: »
    I think it's a Floodplain

I did hear that before, plus it’s full of wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

The only wildlife I ever see in there is rats and travellers horses. And it s used for fly tipping.

yogmeister wrote: »
    The only wildlife I ever see in there is rats and travellers horses. And it s used for fly tipping.

Accurate enough, have seen the odd fox and badger over the years but not a regular occurrence, they most likely come from the Rathcooney Road passing through

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Seems like they mean business not letting any planning through near a potential route.

Cannot see this starting construction before 2030 though or am I being too pessimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

So as not to clutter up the north ring thread.

Looking at the maps, this will start on the N8 at Tivoli and head straight up the hill past Silversprings, before diverging just past Mayfield. If it takes that route, its snookered from the start. The Tivoli junction is a bottleneck with a HGV unfriendly right hand turn at the top of it, then Mayfield itself is a bottleneck.

Neither can be fixed within the scope of this project. So is it doomed from the start?

So as not to clutter up the north ring thread.

Looking at the maps, this will start on the N8 at Tivoli and head straight up the hill past Silversprings, before diverging just past Mayfield. If it takes that route, its snookered from the start. The Tivoli junction is a bottleneck with a HGV unfriendly right hand turn at the top of it, then Mayfield itself is a bottleneck.

Neither can be fixed within the scope of this project. So is it doomed from the start?

Now add in several hundred homes at the Tivoli docks site...

That hill also runs right through residential areas, and we want to direct MORE HGV's up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Now add in several hundred homes at the Tivoli docks site...

That hill also runs right through residential areas, and we want to direct MORE HGV's up there?

I'm not sure it's intended as a HGV route, but I agree with all concerns raised. re-using the Silversprings to Mayfield section won't work in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Trouble is though, there really is no other option. Where else could it go?

• Advertisement

533825.JPG

Anywhere east of Tivoli junction is nothing but farmland. Steep incline would need to be dealt with but not insurmountable.

Advertisement