Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Midsomer Murders on VMTV over the next few days below.
    Note that Series 13 was originally broadcast in 2010 on ITV. The series has been shown twice on VM3 previously.

Wed 1st Aug: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 1
    Wed: VM3 1am - Series 14 Episode 8

Fri: VM1 10pm - Series 13 Episode 7
    Fri: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 2

Sat: VM1 10pm - Series 13 Episode 8

Sun: VM1 10pm - Series 14 Episode 1
    Sun: VM2 1am - Series 13 Episode 4

Mon: VM3 9pm - Series 14 Episode 7

Wed: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 5

Thu: VM3 9pm - Series 13, Episode 4

Fri: VM1 10pm - Series 14 Episode 2
    Fri: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 6

So it's split across the 3 channels - again showing there is no channel for any distinctive target group.
    VM1 has it on on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at 10pm. This is prime time viewing - for a series that is 9 years old - and skews heavily towards a much older age group. There was a time Sunday night at 9pm was the go to place for blockbuster movie premieres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    VM1 has it on on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at 10pm. This is prime time viewing - for a series that is 9 years old - and skews heavily towards a much older age group. There was a time Sunday night at 9pm was the go to place for blockbuster movie premieres.

Crazy scheduling, Your talking ITV3 scheduling. Basically Virgin Media are getting away with Murder.... in the Mid-Summer .... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I didn't know this but Mark Cagney had presented his last ever Ireland AM on VM1 this morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mark-cagney-ireland-am-2-4747427-Jul2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I didn't know this but Mark Cagney had presented his last ever Ireland AM on VM1 this morning.

Yeah he did.I never really watched it (never at home in the mornings) but they gave him a good send off. Interesting to see some of the behind the camera bits
    https://youtu.be/369HuYrGHmo?t=269 (not my video)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Maybe he'll present the Nightshift revival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

As far as I know, the BBC finished broadcasting the most recent episodes of Red Rock on weekday afternoons. I wonder was VMI waiting for the BBC to show those episodes before VMI shows the last two episodes.

As far as I know, the BBC finished broadcasting the most recent episodes of Red Rock on weekday afternoons. I wonder was VMI waiting for the BBC to show those episodes before VMI shows the last two episodes.

Nope, just Virgin Media dragging out the show for all its worth, and in the end - completely ruining what what TV3s best products show.

Nope, just Virgin Media dragging out the show for all its worth, and in the end - completely ruining what what TV3s best products show.

Why didn't VMI just draw a line under the whole thing? Does it not have any other Irish production in the pipeline?

Give me Red Rock over all the ITV import/reality bollocks any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seeing ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ for the first time today - Complete Reeling in the Years rip-off, but it’s using TV3 footage from the past.

• Advertisement

Why didn't VMI just draw a line under the whole thing? Does it not have any other Irish production in the pipeline?

I think they just like having it in their Autumn/New Season schedule launches. Just wanting to show that they're investing in drama. The 40 episodes that should be just 1 series have been dragged out over 3 years now. Writing was on the wall since TV3 got back all the ITV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

My guess is that once they show the last 2 episodes the rights to the programme revert back to the production company who are then free to approach other broadcasters about making new episodes .

The longer that takes the less likely that it will be picked up .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s apparently an accounting practice in commissioning programmes from indies which means the broadcaster doesn’t have to book the spend on the programme until its broadcast. I’m not saying this is the reason that the final Red Rock hasn’t been broadcast yet mind you, but it apparently resulted in postponement of broadcasts of other programmes - most infamously the miniseries Amber aired four years after it was produced.

icdg wrote: »
    There’s apparently an accounting practice in commissioning programmes from indies which means the broadcaster doesn’t have to book the spend on the programme until its broadcast. I’m not saying this is the reason that the final Red Rock hasn’t been broadcast yet mind you, but it apparently resulted in postponement of broadcasts of other programmes - most infamously the miniseries Amber aired four years after it was produced.

If the programme has already been produced by the indie then how does the broadcaster save money by postponing the broadcast of the programme?

Give me Red Rock over all the ITV import/reality bollocks any day.

Ah, now, it's hardly Line of Duty or The Bill, is it?!

At least with dramas produced for the ITV Network you only have to wait 7 days (or 1 day if the drama is being broadcast on consecutive nights) for the next episode!

Ah, now, it's hardly Line of Duty or The Bill, is it?!

At least with dramas produced for the ITV Network you only have to wait 7 days (or 1 day if the drama is being broadcast on consecutive nights) for the next episode!

The Bill was hardly the line of duty and it stands up to The Bill well.

If the programme has already been produced by the indie then how does the broadcaster save money by postponing the broadcast of the programme?

They don’t, ultimately. But if your department has a budget of €100m, and you spend €120m in 2018, you can delay a €20m programme to 2019 to book that €20m that year instead. Of course then you only have €80m to spend in 2019.

Or, try Laura Slattery’s explanation instead:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/amber-resurfaces-as-rt%25C3%25A9-one-strips-mystery-drama-1.1656437%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is Virgin Media Sport showing the Uefa Super Cup match between Liverpool & Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

mikeym wrote: »
    Is Virgin Media Sport showing the Uefa Super Cup match between Liverpool & Chelsea?

- Yes.

Probably the first time the Super Cup match is not shown free to air on Irish TV.

But Virgin Media TV have more important programmes to show on their 3 channels like ITV repeats of Poirot, The Chase, Long Lost Family, Midsomer Murders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most people won't even know its on if it's hidden away on their cable network.

They don’t, ultimately. But if your department has a budget of €100m, and you spend €120m in 2018, you can delay a €20m programme to 2019 to book that €20m that year instead. Of course then you only have €80m to spend in 2019.

Or, try Laura Slattery’s explanation instead:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/amber-resurfaces-as-rt%25C3%25A9-one-strips-mystery-drama-1.1656437%3fmode=amp

Her explanation of that quirk in international accounting rules is intriguing. So, ultimately, it's financial window-dressing, i.e. being seen to be "breaking even", I guess.

Probably the first time the Super Cup match is not shown free to air on Irish TV.

But Virgin Media TV have more important programmes to show on their 3 channels like ITV repeats of Poirot, The Chase, Long Lost Family, Midsomer Murders.

What's wrong with that?! Sure, my mum always giving out about the amount of time my dad spends watching sport on TV!

Its all a money grab, people are getting sick of paying high prices for sports channels.

There are ad's for The Super Cup shown regularly on Virgin Media One which promotes the match for Virgin Media Sport.

Also Martin King & Muireann O'Connell had Lou Ferrigno along with The 2 Johnnies & Chef John Relihan as guests today on the Six O'Clock Show.

https://twitter.com/SixOClockShow/status/1159536508304596992

https://twitter.com/SixOClockShow/status/1159536947922198528

VM One showing an apology captain and prerecorded programming (60 Minute Makeover) instead of Ireland AM at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

VM One showing an apology captain and prerecorded programming (60 Minute Makeover) instead of Ireland AM at present.
    There were high winds in the area last night and there are power outages in Dublin this morning

Looks like Virgin Media One are now showing the Uefa Super Cup.

Good to see them showing the football live and free.
    Will be interesting to see how their Champions League coverage will go. I predict they'll position a live match on Tuesday up against RTE2. Similar to what happened towards the tail end of last season. All hope goes on a game on VM1 on a Wednesday night, but can't see that happening

• Advertisement

Yeah great. I just read the TV guide on the website.

The time for the match tomorrow night is from 7:30pm until 11pm on VM1.

Virgin Media Sport's coverage will still begin at 7pm.

I just seen the EPG's for VM One & VM Two now.

Emmerdale is unchanged to begin at 7pm on VM One with the Super Cup match beginning there afterwards at 7:30pm.

The Coronation Street double bill along with the News at 8 in-between will be on VM Two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I just seen the EPG's for VM One & VM Two now.

Emmerdale is unchanged to begin at 7pm on VM One with the Super Cup match beginning there afterwards at 7:30pm.

The Coronation Street double bill along with the News at 8 in-between will be on VM Two.

had Corrie to record on link on my sky box and it never recorded the 2 eps of corrie.

I suppose the blame lies with Sky does it? ... or VM?

once before when corrie was moved to VM2 I am sure it recorded corrie automatically on series link when it was on VM2 , but not this time

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

had Corrie to record on link on my sky box and it never recorded the 2 eps of corrie.

once before when corrie was moved to VM2 I am sure it recorded corrie automatically on series link when it was on VM2 , but not this time
    I'd say the blame lies with VM, and not having the second episode tagged properly for series link.

I still find the idea of TV3/Virgin Media Ireland antagonising soap fans hard to take in, to be honest!

Theres always catchup on the Sky. Im not sure about the cable setup.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when Virgin Media will be announcing their Autumn/Winter schedule? They did it on Aug 23rd last year. I wonder what surprises there will be this year. It would be great to see more home produced content, we already know Ireland’s Got Talent was scrapped.

Separately, I heard Mark Cagney (former Ireland AM host) on with Ray D’arcy yesterday. Apparently his contract was not renewed. I very very rarely watched the show but seems like there is little loyalty to the staff especially as he did the job for 20 years. He said he is not bitter towards them though.

He always seemed bored on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Virgin Media will be announcing their Autumn/Winter schedule? They did it on Aug 23rd last year. I wonder what surprises there will be this year. It would be great to see more home produced content, we already know Ireland’s Got Talent was scrapped.

Separately, I heard Mark Cagney (former Ireland AM host) on with Ray D’arcy yesterday. Apparently his contract was not renewed. I very very rarely watched the show but seems like there is little loyalty to the staff especially as he did the job for 20 years. He said he is not bitter towards them though.

August 29th for Virgin Media and August 22nd for RTE

Maybe we will have a reboot of the Nightshift music show after... well, too long off air.

Watch all the music videos you want on YouTube. The obsession with Nighshift is something else.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Watch all the music videos you want on YouTube. The obsession with Nighshift is something else.

+1
    This will never return

+1
    This will never return

I'm sure they said that about Love Island when it was axed in 2007.

I'm sure if Nightshift was made relevant to the Spotify generation, the revival would be a huge hit.

I expect the Autumn Schedule launch to include the following:

Ireland AM new presenter
    Gogglebox Series 5
    Red Rock (last 2 episodes)
    Blood (Series 2)
    The Restaurant (Series 13)
    Livin With Lucy (rest of the 5 episodes they recorded last year)
    Doctor In the House (Series 5)
    To increase the amount of times Judge Rinder can be shown in a single day to 9 :l

And the usual ITV returnees of X Factors, Britain's Got Talent, I'm a Celeb, Love Island versions set in Aus, UK Winter, UK Summer, USA etc..

Bang on about the same Champions League, Europa League, Six Nations, Horse racing coverage.

Overall, I'm not expecting much. There has been very little homeproduced programmes in the past few months, with nothing in the papers about upcoming programmes. Lots dropped in the past few year with The Sunday Show, Red Rock, Clubhouse, Ireland's Got Talent, Pat Kenny alongside cutting back on T6OCS, Xpose and ending Bank Holiday editions of Ireland AM.

And the usual ITV returnees of X Factors, Britain's Got Talent, I'm a Celeb, Love Island versions set in Aus, UK Winter, UK Summer, USA etc..

New Irish Drama : Darklands
    Also a Lisa McGee Drama courtesy of Channel 5. (The Deceived) set in Donegal.

ITV have already announced that BGT The Champions will air from Aug 29

Celebrity X Factor and in the new year X Factor The Champions, no normal run of the X Factor for 2019. OR VISAVERSA.

It will all be announced on the 28th with RTÉ's announced on 22nd.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Watch all the videos of people going on romantic holidays in exotic locations you want on YouTube. The media obsession with Love Land is something else.

Its_steve116

Please cease disrupting threads with discussion on a programme which aired very late at night on a channel which no longer exists and most people wouldn’t remember.

You may if you wish, start one (1) separate thread on it. If you get replies to it good luck, but I won’t be allowing it to continue in the form of a conversation with yourself if it doesn’t.

Otherwise consider the matter off topic for discussion

Its_steve116

Please cease disrupting threads with discussion on a programme which aired very late at night on a channel which no longer exists and most people wouldn’t remember.

You may if you wish, start one (1) separate thread on it. If you get replies to it good luck, but I won’t be allowing it to continue in the form of a conversation with yourself if it doesn’t.

Otherwise consider the matter off topic for discussion
    I think I have a thread about it on my old account.

Just to be pedantic its Virgin Media TWO now.

Not to name that other show explicitly, but think about it, a new music show would really benefit the Irish music economy. Irish filmmakers too. There are some really good music and film makers in this country. That "This Ain't No Disco" thing between Donal Dineen and Myles O'Reilly, if you haven't seen it, is really good; it's on YouTube for those who are interested. Same with the recent RTÉ One documentary Starboard Home; a film about Dublin with a great soundtrack from some or our finest music talent. A new similar show on VMT, not necessarily N********t, would be a good idea. There's a serious gap in the market for it.

Sadly, VMT is more interested in trashy reality TV shows.

I think sadly you could say that about most content on Irish TV. Virgin Media aren't too worried about the audience. It has continued to grow over the last number of months, largely eating into RTÉ's share of the audience.

Virgin Media will be a diet of Repeats, no clear identity for any of their channels. Mixing The Chase with Love Island, and nothing much else in between.

• Advertisement
Advertisement