Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder will Shane be the one too turn on Miz and set up the mania match ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will Shane be the one too turn on Miz and set up the mania match ??

Had thought this all along.

I suspect it will be a call up or someone from Raw - probably Alexa - who works with Asuka. Smackdown will need something if Becky & Charlotte both go to Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hope Becky doesn't show up tonight.

Let the suspension simmer and Charlotte gets to be a massive bitch, which she does well!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

J. Marston wrote: »

Let the suspension simmer and Charlotte gets to be a massive bitch, which she does well!

Crazy to think they wanted Becky as a heel all the way back at Summerslam when Charlotte is a terrible face anyways.

Much much more suited to being a heel, similar to Orton in that respect (although Orton in general is just lame these days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

We touched on it before here, but a Kofi V DB title match could well be on the cards now at Mania

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’ve said before that’s what I wanted at Mania, and I don’t see how you do anything else now, after that match. They booked Kofi like a beast. Great match and thrilled for him.

I also wanted to say...people complain about the McMahons interjecting themselves into stories, but I really like that Shane is using his character to do a story with Miz and USO’s. I adore the Usos and think getting a match vs Shane is a big thing for them. He’s not trying to put himself into the Bryan story at the top of the card, but is boosting the mid card.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Thought the first 5mins with Charlotte was good the rest wasn't up to much,Joe and Aj livened up the gauntlet match a bit but overall the most boring smackdown in a long time.

Road-dog clearly monitoring your posts. :D

I agree. This was the way to go. Really sell the idea that this is the match.

Monokne wrote: »
    Road-dog clearly monitoring your posts. :D

I agree. This was the way to go. Really sell the idea that this is the match.

Only worry is she'll be like Alexa where she's a very entertaining bitch and she'll get cheered eventually.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's a worry at all. I think Charlotte has the Roman Reigns vibe where people see her as the protected star and resent it. That's why I felt she never really took as a babyface. Alexa has more of a charm. Charlotte feels entitled to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's hard to argue that Charlotte hasn't earned her spot so I wouldn't call her entitled. Let's be truthful for a second - Charlotte and Ronda would be the better match.

It's hard to argue that Charlotte hasn't earned her spot so I wouldn't call her entitled. Let's be truthful for a second - Charlotte and Ronda would be the better match.

Don't think many would question that but story should trump star ratings sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What does earned her spot really mean? She's walked into and out of Wrestlemania as champion 2 of the last 3 Manias, and was in a multi person title match at the other

She's got plenty, she's not been the one down the card like Becky for most of her time on the main roster

Becky v Ronda is the hot thing now, it just is. Charlotte is fantastic in ring, better than Becky probably and maybe even the best in the WWE, but if wrestling was all about in ring then Dean Malenko would have been a man but wrestlings about more than just in ring ability

The addition of Charlotte is because she's their golden girl, the chosen one, the one they want, they're steering into that curve on screen instead of fighting it like they did with Roman but it doesn't change the fact she's being put in the main event, instead of being the main event

I also suspect they don't want to turn Ronda fully, so a 3 way has face Becky, tweenish Ronda, heel Charlotte

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't get this - based on what? Some predescribed notion of one being a better performer than the other?

Part - actually more like 80% of the issue with WWE currently actually isn't the matches. They're slick, clean and for the most part (when people like Lana etc. aren't involved) all look good.

The issue is they cannot build a storyline for anyone outside of 'You bad - I good, I must beat you up' for months on end.

50/50 booking, no one ever being a definitive winner is another part.

The reason people are behind this - Becky aside - is that it builds into an overall arc that has actually organically built since Survivor Series. It's rare in WWE now to have actually put some development into a story - though I still believe they fell on this with a slice of luck from Becky being taken out prior to the match with Ronda.

Charlotte might be more naturally talented in the ring which I think was your primary point, but that's tbh irrelevant. Both are capable of brilliant matches - see Royal Rumble - Becky VS Asuka as an example (finish aside it's still an excellent match).

If WWE put even half the effort into the rest of the roster and a few storylines aside from the mundane, boring above then there'd be way less complaints.

That's why the match deserves to main event Mania. Not because X is better than Y in the ring, but because it's a storyline that has had a beginning - is currently in it's middle phase - and will climax at Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not questioning any of that - just responding to a comment which claimed there's an air of entitlement around Charlotte. Can't see how when she's earned every bit of positioning she's received.

I think Roman has earned his spot too, but they just have that feeling. Perhaps protected would be a more accurate term than entitled. It feels like regardless of their ability to connect with the crowd organically, they will still be presented at the very tippy top of their respective divisions.

I would not question her in ring, and I think she is strong on promos. Regardless, there are times when it feels like she is being pushed down our throats against our will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Necro wrote: »
    I don't get this - based on what? Some predescribed notion of one being a better performer than the other?

Part - actually more like 80% of the issue with WWE currently actually isn't the matches. They're slick, clean and for the most part (when people like Lana etc. aren't involved) all look good.

Nothing about Lana doesn't look good, whatever about her mat wrestling skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did Kofi beat Seth's gauntlet time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

At this stage the RKO is for Orton what the Canadian Destroyer was to Petey Williams. A massive crutch essentially.

• Advertisement

He's the "I didn't do it" kid of WWE. Everyone just wants to see the RKO and nothing else from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He's the "I didn't do it" kid of WWE. Everyone just wants to see the RKO and nothing else from him.

He should bring back The Punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Very interesting that we kind of that don’t know anything really about the smackdown side of things I mean for mix/Shane I think everything else is up in the air

Orton is becoming this generation's X-Pac. Heel or face no one really cares if he shows up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Orton is becoming this generation's X-Pac. Heel or face no one really cares if he shows up or not.

his character essentially hasn't changed in a decade now, which is unfortunate because he's probably one of the best professional wrestlers I've ever seen. in the ring, he actually gets a phenomenal amount out of actually doing very little.

his character is just so damn dull at this rate that he can't overcome it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    his character is just so damn dull at this rate that he can't overcome it.

Doesn’t have the want to either I’d imagine

How pushed would you be to work harder when you already earn a comfortable 7 figures with 8 figures already in the bank

Guys can reinvent themselves, look at Jericho and how well he’s done for himself on that side of things

Orton at this moment is just ‘rko outta nowhere lol’, he’s not typecast as that yet but he and WWE are doing little else to change that narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

its always funny to me but nearly all the top wrestlers talk about how good orton is but i dont think its ever came out on screen to the auidance

i think it was on jerichos podcast that hhh said that he just doesnt realise how good he could be and jericho was praising him as well

Its probably stuff that doesnt matter to us like being able to work well with anyone without previous experience with them like some might

Same as HBK he has fantastic timing in the ring, and he’s always so smooth it’s like a game at times

I can't disagree with this more strongly.

The term "X Pac heat" came about because no-one wanted to see X-Pac.

Orton is still a huge star and gets big reactions from the live audience most of the time. He also intermittently gets fresh and hot, like when he was hitting his RKO's "outta nowhere" a year or so back or in the Lesnar feud.

Clearly he coasts as a performer, his act is very stale and if you're a hardcore fan, there's not huge appeal to him.

But X Pac? No, not even close.

• Advertisement

X Pac heat would only be apt for the likes of Nia Jax really, she's getting booed because she's bloody awful not because she's a great heel

Same for Stephanie I suppose

Advertisement