Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrantuohill easiest/safest route

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just to give an update, I was down there over the weekend and the devils ladder is unbelievable. I hadn't done it in about ten years and only used it as an escape route after one of the group got very sick.
    I definitely wouldn't go near it again

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hope to climb this tomorrow with two friends...not very experinced but were not stupid either. Will let ye know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

Gillo wrote: »
    Just to give an update, I was down there over the weekend and the devils ladder is unbelievable. I hadn't done it in about ten years and only used it as an escape route after one of the group got very sick.
    I definitely wouldn't go near it again

If one of the group got very sick, why would you use the most dangerous route as your escape? Surely if you deem it ok for use by a sick person, the route is fine for a fit person looking for a bit of a climb.

I think there is quite a bit of scare mongering going on in this thread.

I did the climb a few weeks ago and this was one of the last things i read before heading up. Thankfully I decided to use my own judgement and go with the devils ladder route, i had planned to turn back if it turned out to be as bad as people were making it out to be.
    However, although the last section of the ladder is somewhat challenging I definitely would not advise people against it.
    In fact i would say it was the safest route up that day as there was a vicious easterly wind that would have hampered any of the routes that trail via the ridges.

That said, I had a very dry day for climbing and what i would suggest to people is that they would seriously take the weather into account. I imagine the devils ladder can turn into a bit of a waterfall in heavy rain. Plan to go when its fine, and you will be rewarded with an easier climb and fantastic vistas.
    ( I realise that is easier said than done, considering the shocking amount of rain we have had in the last few weeks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Hey guys, i'll be climbing this with a group tomorrow. Gonna park in Colin's Yard and take the devil's ladder. Scaremongering aside, what sort of state is that route in after the fantastic summer we've had so far?

If I don't get a reply about this today, I'll reply tomorrow evening when I return to give me own details on it :D

Ask in Cronins Yard itself, haven't been around there in a while and usually avoid that route. But they'd know the score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

So took the Cronin's Yard route, went up the ladder. Have to say it was absolutely fine. There was a bit of water flowing underfoot, but so long as you take your time and pick your route to avoid rocks that look unstable, you should be perfectly fine. There were plenty of other groups scaling the mountain and any with guides and with a large group didn't risk the ladder and tbh I can't blame them, and would also say that if you're going to take the ladder, make sure your group is small enough. Couldn't see anything up at the top as the mist was so thick, and it was freezing up there, so we didn't stay at the summit too long. I would also say to people, stay on the main path coming down from the summit to the ladder. Especially in poor visibility...

Loved it though, pity there was no view because of the mist but it was quite enjoyable :D. Definitely want to redo it when the weather improves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Slugs wrote: »
    So took the Cronin's Yard route, went up the ladder. Have to say it was absolutely fine. There was a bit of water flowing underfoot, but so long as you take your time and pick your route to avoid rocks that look unstable, you should be perfectly fine. There were plenty of other groups scaling the mountain and any with guides and with a large group didn't risk the ladder and tbh I can't blame them, and would also say that if you're going to take the ladder, make sure your group is small enough. Couldn't see anything up at the top as the mist was so thick, and it was freezing up there, so we didn't stay at the summit too long. I would also say to people, stay on the main path coming down from the summit to the ladder. Especially in poor visibility...

Loved it though, pity there was no view because of the mist but it was quite enjoyable :D. Definitely want to redo it when the weather improves :)

Well done, and thanks for the report. Pity about the weather. The only time I was up there it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

uNVKq.jpg

iuPxY.jpg

Went up on Wednesday via cronin's yard. Went via devils ladder. There was a lot of water running down the ladder. Decided not return via the ladder. Intially cloudy from the top of the ladder to the summit. Descended from the summit via brother o'sheas gully. Going up again tomorrow.

Could not imagine doing it without wet weather gear and waterproof boots with summer we are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm planning on doing this climb at the weekend, weather permitting and was wondering where would I get a map of the routes. Also is there a few different routes or is there a main one that most people do. Is there any markers as to where to follow or is there just a worn path?

Route via the Devil's Ladder is pretty obvious, follow the route carved by the thousands. The other routes are less easy to spot, particularly routes like the Heavenly Gates. No markers. Get the Harvey's Superwalker map. Would have thought a large bookstore should have it, but not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Get the Harvey's Superwalker map. Would have thought a large bookstore should have it, but not sure.

They sell them at cronin's yard. Could ring ahead to check. Tel: +353 (0)64 662 4044

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

climbed up a few times either up the caher route or devils ladder. I personally think the ladders route is faster and easy enough if your active. The caher route can be a long slog but the views are lovely

Longboard wrote: »
    They sell them at cronin's yard. Could ring ahead to check. Tel: +353 (0)64 662 4044

True. And for anyone here, if any way unsure, always go into the tearooms at the yard before setting off and they'll dispense advice. It really is an institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

We are planning on climbing this weekend.

We're thinking of the Devil's ladder route. From what I have read this is the most popular. Has anybody been up there over the past week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I passed over the top of it the other day. It doesn't really change that much year on year. It stays consistently as dangerous/safe as ever. The issue with it is other climbers above you knocking a boulder down onto your party.

If you are tackling it as a small party, on a quiet day, with only a few other walkers on the mountain; then chances are it will be grand.

If you are tackling it as a large party, or on a summer's weekend with a constant stream of walkers ascending and descending, then you are putting yourself into a little bit of danger...

Problem is; with all the other routes you need map and compass skills and ideally someone in your party needs to have been on the route beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Done most the routes up Carrauntohill at this stage.

Just wonder but could someone show me the Heavenly Gates route.

corran-routes.jpg

From this map, I'm guessing that the blue route is Howling Ridge which involves a lot of rock climbing and ropes.

Am I right in thinking that Heavenly Gates is basically the blue line up until kink on the face of Carrauntohill, from then on you go across the face of the mountain going past where it says Leaca Bhán on the map ? From there it's just the remaining normal climb from the ladder upwards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

From this map, I'm guessing that the blue route is Howling Ridge which involves a lot of rock climbing and ropes.

Am I right in thinking that Heavenly Gates is basically the blue line up until kink on the face of Carrauntohill, from then on you go across the face of the mountain going past where it says Leaca Bhán on the map ? From there it's just the remaining normal climb from the ladder upwards ?

This flash map should help.

http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php/Winter_Climbing_around_Carrauntoohil

• Registered Users Posts: 18 angland27

Im going to be around the gap of dunloe and am wondering where would be a good place near the road to set up a bottom rope for my twin 7 year olds. Any helo would be great.

That's it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveClint

I would highly recommend the Coomloughra horseshoe to anyone, provided you have a head for heights. Here's a link to a very good article. You get the three highest peaks in Ireland on this route too.
    http://walkingworldireland.com/wp/?p=845

• Advertisement

DaveClint wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the Coomloughra horseshoe to anyone, provided you have a head for heights. Here's a link to a very good article. You get the three highest peaks in Ireland on this route too.
    http://walkingworldireland.com/wp/?p=845

Is there some access issue on the concrete road in recent weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fatb0y

Wish I had seen this before going up to the summit last weekend! Used the Devil's ladder to go up and back, like someone else said in their post, it is a bit dodgy but if you take your time and watch your step, it's actually good fun as just walking on a slope can get monotonous after a while!

Took about 4 and a half hours there and back and the views were stunning!

There were a few folks talking about heavenly gates at the summit and had we been able to figure it out, would have used it for coming back down... with this map, will just have to do it again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Is there some access issue on the concrete road in recent weeks?

There's a brand new carpark in at the bottom, maybe the end of the Hydro road was blocked for the construction. The car park and the Hydro were both open two weekends ago.

concussion wrote: »
    There's a brand new carpark in at the bottom, maybe the end of the Hydro road was blocked for the construction. The car park and the Hydro were both open two weekends ago.

I think it was since the carpark was constructed that the dispute arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

lads did the galtees last weekend and gonna chance this one this weekend.

can anyone recommend the safest way up route? and how long the round trip would be

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

can anyone recommend the safest way up route? and how long the round trip would be

cheers!
    #

The safest route these days imo is Shea's Gully and down the ZigZags but be aware that there are rod closures around Killarney this Sat.

Mission Road, Killarney

Road Closed: N71
    (Road Closing Times: from 5.00am to 9.00am and 1.00pm to 8.00pm)

Starting at Kenmare Place and finishing at the junction of the N71, Mission Road and the R877, New Street.

Beech Road, Killarney

Road Closed: L3909
    (Road Closing Times: from 5.00am to 9.00am and 1.00pm to 8.00pm)

Starting at the junction of the L3909, Beech Road and the R877, New Street and finishing at the junction of the L3909, Beech Road and the N71, Mission Road.

Fossa to Killorglin

Road Closed: N72
    (Road Closing Times: from 6.00am to 9.00am)

Starting from the junction of the N72 and the R563, Milltown Road at Fossa via Ballymalis and Anglont and finishing at the junction of the N72 and N70 at Laune Bridge, Killorglin.

(Traffic diversions will be in place via the R563 through Faha and Listry and the N70 from Milltown to Killorglin.)

Killorglin to Caragh Bridge (Eastbound Lane)

Road Closed: N70 (Eastbound Lane)
    (Road Closing Times: from 6.00am to 12 noon)

Starting at the Iveragh Road Roundabout via Iveragh Road, Tullig, Quaybaun and finishing at Caragh Bridge.

(A one-way traffic diversion will be in place for traffic travelling eastbound from Caherciveen and Glenbeigh on the L4022/L4033/L4034 Local Primary routes via Dooks, Cromane, Garraun and Castleconway. Traffic travelling westbound from Killorglin to Glenbeigh will remain on the N70)

Sneem to Molls Gap

Road Closed: R568
    (Road Closing Times: from 12 noon to 8.00pm)

Starting at the junction of the R568 and the L4074 at Derreendarragh Cross and finishing at the junction of the R568 and the N71 at Molls Gap.

Kenmare to Torc

Road Closed: N71
    (Road Closing Times: from 12 noon to 8.00pm)

Starting at the junction of the N70 and N71 at Gortamullin via Molls Gap and Galway’s Bridge and finishing at Torc Waterfall Car Park.

(Motorists travelling between Killarney and Kenmare at the above times are advised to use the alternative N22/R569 route via Glenflesk and Kilgarvan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

cheers!

The Coomloughra Loop is, in my opinion, the best way to experience Carrantouhill. It's a less popular route, so quieter, and I think the vast amphitheater that greets you as you head up from Lough Eighter, past Coomloughra Lough, towards Skregmore is an amazing place.

If you complete the loop you'll have bagged the 3 highest Irish mountains too.

The route is described here;

http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/caher.html

Many places mention the Beenkeragh Ridge as being a dangerous place, but it really isn't anything to worry about, if the weather is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

cheers!

Its a bit longer but going up the Bone and down the zig zags is one of the safest routes imo http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/carrauntoohil-via-zig-zag-and-the-bone/ and is interesting too compared to the Devils ladders, etc. Its not as popular as the other routes so the path up the bone is not well worn but is easy enough to follow to the top

I agree with Dagda, you can't beat the Coomloughra Loop on a good day http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/the-coomloughra-loop-walk-carrauntoohil-kerry/ but yes a little care is advised near Beenkeragh, common sense really (i.e. not in high winds, etc).

Up O'Sheas Gully and down zig zags as mentioned by RamblingRuairi is one of my favourites, a great and safe route and is becoming one of the most popular routes on the reeks now and a good starter route. http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/carrauntoohil-via-osheas-gully-and-zig-zags-kerry/ however we got stuck behind a large and slow guided group waiting to get to whats known as the 'first level'

The I'm doing the Ring of Kerry cycle on Saturday and yes there will be a few delays and diversions around Killarney but nothing major I hope near the reeks. Note, the Road from Molls Gap to Killarney will be closed to traffic during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

To add to this, I would avoid the Devil's Ladder as it is dangerous. Due to time pressure, I had to come down the Ladder on Sat instead of the ZigZags and it is very exposed with a lot of loose rock. There are plenty of other routes that are a lot safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The devils ladder is fine for going up though.

Advertisement