Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrantuohill easiest/safest route

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone been across this yet? Haven't gone through Hags glen in a while but it seems like a great initative. Hopefully a bit of work on the ladder will follow.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Anyone been across this yet?

Ha ha.

Maria Farmer...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hotfire

Very helpful.. Hiked through Hags Glen last March. Weather was pretty bad, very wet. Going to hike there again at the end of January so will definately try out the new bridge..

SomeFool wrote: »
    Anyone been across this yet? Haven't gone through Hags glen in a while but it seems like a great initative. Hopefully a bit of work on the ladder will follow.

The laddar was so dangerous last March. Its a death trap. Very hard to keep your footing on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

If you don't fancy the Devil's Ladder, use the Zig Zags; it used to be difficult to find the start but since a lot of people started using that route the path is fairly obvious.

It comes out on Cnoc na Toinne, above the top of the ladder, so you gain some uneccessary height but its a nice walk down to the saddle. You can come back the same way obviously; there is a very small cairn marking the top of the Zig Zags, keep a sharp eye out for it on the return.

There is a warning sign at the foot of the Ladder asking people to use the Zig Zag route instead, but it uses the old name for the route, Bothar na Gige, which is a pity as most people probably wouldn't recognise that name.

• Advertisement

CrankyCod wrote: »
    If you don't fancy the Devil's Ladder, use the Zig Zags; it used to be difficult to find the start but since a lot of people started using that route the path is fairly obvious.

Was up Carrauntoohil at the start of the cold spell, it was snowing at the top and met a Polish couple who seemd a bit lost and were in the usual jeans and runners gear so favoured by lost walkers! Was showing them the route to the Zig Zags as the safest way to get them down and some cranky walker came along and started banging on about how they couldn't go down there as they were trying to conserve it after all the erosion of summer walkers. Course then another came along and started having a go at their footwear - as if the top of Carrauntoohil in the snow was the right place for a lecture. Think the cranky ones would have been happy had I sent them down over Howling Ridge, barefoot to preserve the rocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah the cranky elite of Carrauntoohill. How dare you mere mortals attempt to summit the most highest mountain in ALL OF IRELAND.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

CrankyCod wrote: »

It comes out on Cnoc na Toinne, above the top of the ladder, so you gain some uneccessary height but its a nice walk down to the saddle. You can come back the same way obviously; there is a very small cairn marking the top of the Zig Zags, keep a sharp eye out for it on the return.

There is a warning sign at the foot of the Ladder asking people to use the Zig Zag route instead, but it uses the old name for the route, Bothar na Gige, which is a pity as most people probably wouldn't recognise that name.

Hi, might try the Zig Zags this time, came down them the last time.. A little scary. Im a novice!

hotfire wrote: »
    Hi, might try the Zig Zags this time, came down them the last time.. A little scary. Im a novice!

I'm not being smart, but if the Zig Zags are scary, is Carrauntoohil for you? It is, afaik, considered the easiest route up and down, albeit a couple of miles longer than the Devil's Ladder.

Plenty of other walk around Killarney that feel a lot safer. If you like hillwalks, Mangerton is a lot more gradual.

I'm not being smart, but if the Zig Zags are scary, is Carrauntoohil for you? It is, afaik, considered the easiest route up and down, albeit a couple of miles longer than the Devil's Ladder.

Plenty of other walk around Killarney that feel a lot safer. If you like hillwalks, Mangerton is a lot more gradual.

thanks for the advice but ive climbed to the summit twice:) Loved going up, hated coming down it though! First time I climbed it I was 18. Now im a few years older :):) , decided to do it again, to see if I could make it to the summit again... Impressed myself:)

• Advertisement

hotfire wrote: »
    thanks for the advice but ive climbed to the summit twice:) Loved going up, hated coming down it though!

Well fair play then. I have gone up there with people who dislike the descent and I appreciate that everyone has their limits of what is tolerable, I've had the shakes myself on one or two points on the Reeks and caution is always far better than foolishness. You also get used to it - the more you get up there and familiarise yourself with the area the more confident you will feel about it all.

Not sure how the Zig Zags would rate against the Bone, which is a longer walk again, but is also considered one of the safer accesses. The Heavenly Gates is a lovely descent, but there are one or two areas that might feel a bit exposed around the gates themselves even though it is safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

If exposure to height is causing a problem it might be worthwhile to check out the Hydro Road route. This is a very gradual walk up, and starts near Logh Acoose. There are no really scary bits, but some people find it a bit of a slog. It's a very popular route for first ascents as it relatively easy to navigate. It's still a serious outing though, so all the usual warnings apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I found Caher to be a serious slog, with the steep gradient and rock garden at the top. Well worth it though, and the top of Carrauntoohil is easy going from there, being mindful of the steep drops off the ridge of course.

Thanks Crankycod. We've decided to go the Hydro Road route. Fingers crossed we will get good weather. Attempting it on the 29th of January and will let ye know how we get on. Thanks again for yer advice, much appreciated.

Was going to suggest the Coomloughra Circuit, which is fine in terms of ascent and descent, but the ridges are a bit airy, particularly the Beenkeragh Ridge.

Thanks Conor74 but were going to try the Hydro Road this time. Might atempt the Coomloughra Circuit in the summer.

PM me any time you intend to go up there. I seem to be out there most weekends, and if our paths cross can give you pointers on all the routes (except the technical climbs), what's worth seeing and what's worth avoiding, the names of all the various features etc. I just find the whole place fascinating, my regret is that I grew up within sight of them but didn't first venture up there until about 2 years ago. But making up for lost time! If you ever want to go for a proper guided trip, try nathankingerlee who posts here.

Oh and would highly recommend Jim Ryan's book, and the Harvey's Superwalker map.

http://www.eason.ie/look/9781905172337/Carrauntoohil-and-MacGillycuddy-s-Reeks/Jim-Ryan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macgillycuddys-Reeks-Superwalker-Harvey-Maps/dp/1851374620

Will do, thanks Conor74. Whats the route like at the moment, is it snow covered, or water logged?

Looks fine from here!

No snow on the Eastern Reeks anyway, Carrauntoohil itself in a little cloud so can't quite see. Last Saturday was a washout but weather since then has been glorious, so would imagine any water has long since run off. Forecast for the weekend is good, so think it will be perfect weather to get out there, cold, clear and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mikaels

Hi all!

Which route would you recommend for a nightly ascent ? Has any of you done that before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

For a night ascent, with route finding/map reading skills I'd go up the ZigZags; or otherwise maybe Devil's Ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

My girlfriend and I went up last Saturday. Conditions were perfect and there were beautiful views from the top as the day was completely cloudless. We left from Cronin's yard and went up via the Devil's Ladder and down the Zig Zag route. I thought it very manageable for a a first ascent and decent.

My question is is a common route to ascend from the Black Valley side?
    I don't see any marked on the Harvey's map for the area.

Lashed wrote: »
    My question is is a common route to ascend from the Black Valley side?
    I don't see any marked on the Harvey's map for the area.

The Black Valley side is much quieter, though there is a large car park area now way in beyond Cummeenduff Lough near Lake Curraghmore. From there you can ascend Curraghmore itself and on to Caher and Carrauntoohil. Can also ascend either Brassel, or go up the Eastern Reeks east of Fearbrahy Ridge up to Knocknapeasta. However, while good ascents, they are hard enough descents. Not dangerous or anything (save maybe the area at the back of Lough Googh which is pretty sheer), just hard on the legs, slippy in wet weather and may have to be taken with a bit more care. Haven't seen any paths or trails around there, apart from one from carpark to Curraghmore Lake itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

mikaels wrote: »
    Hi all!

Which route would you recommend for a nightly ascent ? Has any of you done that before?

Done it by night a couple of times, used the ladder both times, great spot for sunrise if the weather is clear!

Looks fine from here!

No snow on the Eastern Reeks anyway, Carrauntoohil itself in a little cloud so can't quite see. Last Saturday was a washout but weather since then has been glorious, so would imagine any water has long since run off. Forecast for the weekend is good, so think it will be perfect weather to get out there, cold, clear and dry.

Going up this Saturday so fingers crossed we get clear dry day:)

Will more than likely be up there myself. Either there or might try Mullaghanattin ans west.

If you get into trouble, hoot like an owl - it can be our signal! ;)

Will more than likely be up there myself. Either there or might try Mullaghanattin ans west.

If you get into trouble, hoot like an owl - it can be our signal! ;)

Not sure if i can make that sound, but if needs be I will make some kinda noise..... Listen carefullyon the day :D

Was up there yesterday, went up Stumpa an tSaimh ridge, across to O'Shea's, and then dropped down to go back up Curved Gully but waterfall was frozen so was a sheet of glassy ice and impassable. Went back up Central Gully, the grassy area to the right of it, and even at that there was a few moments where you were clinging to clumps and really hoping your boots were getting enough purchase on the very hard ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi,

Can I ask for the (best) easiest route for someone who has experience in hill walking but hasn't been out and about for a few years (a bit out of fitness but strong and experienced)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Devil's Ladder easiest to find and kind of most straight-forward, although pretty dangerous at moment, with loose boulders.

Zig Zags really nice and well do-able if you can find them.

Otherwise up Hydro Track and across Caher Ridge, without wind, is a great day out.

Advertisement