Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrantuohill easiest/safest route

Options
  • 09-04-2007 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Im thinking of doing Carrantuohill during the week. my frien is thinking of bringing his brother (17 yrs old) which is the easiest way up and down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Are you all experienced hill walkers and navigators? Do you have good hiking boots and waterproofs? If you answer no to any of the above, I'd reconsider if I were you....

If you know what you're doing, here's a good resource:

http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/index.html

Make sure you leave a route card with your B&B/Hostel, and a copy in your car, visible from the outside - Tape it to the inside of the windscreen for example.

DO NOT rely on a mobile phone, or a GPS working when you need it most - I'm not joking, and that's a considered piece of advice, instead of a recycled cliché. Many experienced walkers have died on Carrantuohill over the years....Don't take it lightly.

if it gets foggy up the top and you cant make out where your going wait until it clears!!! There are many false trails up there - ones that could lead you to a nasty end!

If it stays clear how about going up via the devils looking glass and up to the top and down via the devils ladder. If your all fit and healthy even our biggest mountain isnt too physically demanding.
    Oh and leave EARLY!! Dont get stuck up in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Take the Caher route as marked on the Kerry mountain rescue website above.

Up there last month, the devils ladder is very badly eroded. You will also have a river crossing this way, which can be hazardous.

Map and compass, and skills to read them essential for the summit and descent in any kind of fog / low vis.

Bring some water and food (bananas, sandwiches, chocolate). Good gear, hiking boots and water proofs.

Start early, 10AM is a nice time. The other tips as pointed out are well worth noting.

I'm not very experienced on the subject(only climbed it once) but I'll try and help.I took the most popular route,the Devils Ladder.The river crossing isn't too dangerous if you cross it at the right place.Just wait until there are enough stepping stones.The Devils Ladder is a bit steep but not too bad if you follow the trail.From the top of the ladder there is a well defined trail to the summit.I did it in runners and I'd definitely recommend hiking boots.It gets very slippy in places.Make sure you pick a clear day and try and stick in a group on the way up.It's a nice climb,should only take you about 5 hours but definitely start early.The Caher route looks a bit more interesting though,if it's your first climb then definitely take the Caher route.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did it with some friends a few weeks back. Took the Devil's ladder route. Was a bit out of breath with some lactic acid in my legs and forearms when I got to the top, but other than that, it wasn't too bad :) Can be a bit slippy though. Once you get to the top of the Devil's ladder, getting to the summit is easy.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

Went up it last weekend with a girl I'm mad about.

Took about 2 hours to get up. We went some really random route that was pure dodgy and involved lots of unaided rock climbing.

Wore a t-shirt and jeans. All we had with us was a spare top and a cheesecake.

When we got to the top, we had sex.

Best sex ever.

We started at about 3 and were back down for half 7.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

If there was an emoticon for slow hand clap, I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as an antedote to the 'I did it in 2 hrs and had sex on the top with my super fit girl friend' Brigade (for whom i have nothing but respect :D you young people, where do you get the energy!)

my self and the brother did it (The climb) a few years back did beenkearagh first then carrantuohill took us 8 hours 6 going up 2 going down. the soles of the brothers boots came off on the top of beenkearagh. he said he was ok then slipped down about 12 feet on the ridge connecting the 2 (I only found out later) we went on got to the top of carrantuohil dehydrated, got down via devils ladder brother found that loosing the soles of his shoes meant that the stones were hurting his feet leading to slow progress for him and as I was now very dehydrated even slower progress for me brother had run out and I gave him some of mine.
    we bascially fecked up but thankfully got away with it.

so make sure everybody brings enough water for themselves and have spare stored in the car for when you get back. take your easy the group should go as fast as the slowest member.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Went up it last weekend with a girl I'm mad about....we had sex...We went some really random route that was pure dodgy...We started at about 3 and were back down for half 7.
    Fixed your post. I guess it all counts as outdoor pursuits.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Went up over the Paddy's day weekend.
    Took the Caher route and can recommend it.
    Have heard too many warnings about the Devils ladder to even consider it..

E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 zayrah

Hi, did the Devils Ladder last w/end - had the boots, the waterproofs, the water and the food and loads of rain!!! All I can say is never again - it is extremely badly eroded, and people using it is not making it any better. There was a river running down the middle which made it even more dangerous. As for people doing it without proper gear - just thank your lucky stars you got away with it - one slip and there's nothing you can do. Use the Caher route - might be a longer walk but ultimately safer and you won't be contributing to the erosion on the Ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm from Killarney and there is a route known as the zig zags that the locals use to the left of the devils ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

I climbed it during the summer and then in good weather conditions I thought the devils ladder was dangerous, at this time of the year I would advise extreme caution on that route.

Take care dude

I used the Devils Ladder last February - Downright dangerous, especially the last 10 metres as you reach the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Do the Caher route, no dodgy areas just a small bit of vertigo!
    It's only half the horseshoe route - a there and back across the Caher.
    There are many slips and falls on the ladder - even in good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Has anyone else noticed the wheelchair parking spaces in the car park?

I mean if you need to get priority parking in the car park is there a paved path up the hill that has been hidden from me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'm pretty sure that the new coffee shop/shower facility is obliged to provide them by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Just interested to see the comment about taping your route card to the window of your car so it can be seen from the outside.

What are others opinions on this? Everything I have read says that this was a good idea in the past but the sad reality is that these days all you are doing is giving little scumbag thieves an exact idea of just how long they have to work on your car.

In my ignorance and inexperience, I don't see what having the route card visible in your car does for you? If someone has gone to find your car then presumably they already know your missing, so surely a route card in your B&B or with your neighbour or your mother or whatever is the best bet??

Just interested to see the comment about taping your route card to the window of your car so it can be seen from the outside.

What are others opinions on this? Everything I have read says that this was a good idea in the past but the sad reality is that these days all you are doing is giving little scumbag thieves an exact idea of just how long they have to work on your car.

In my ignorance and inexperience, I don't see what having the route card visible in your car does for you? If someone has gone to find your car then presumably they already know your missing, so surely a route card in your B&B or with your neighbour or your mother or whatever is the best bet??

Depends on where you're leaving your car to be honest. If I'm all the way down in Kerry, hundreds of miles away from home and anyone I'd be happy to leave with information on my whereabouts, I'll leave something visible in the car.

If you take Cronins Yard for example, they'll likely put a call into the Kerry team if a car is still parked there an hour or so after dark that's been there most of the day. Leaving a route card in the car window, or even just a (carefully) estimated latest return time will potentially avoid a false alarm. In the same breath, it'll also leave a concerned passer by in a position to raise the alarm if you're still not back and it's hours later.....

You're right to worry though I guess, even about false alarms for example. In my case, I put in a return time 1 hour or so later than my very latest estimate return time, along with my phone number and my walking partners phone number (different networks).

It just depends on what's most important to you - Your cars safety or your safety in a sense. To be honest though, scum will break in anyway, whether or not you're still two hours walk away. An opportunistic thief will take the chance. Leave your excess gear at home, empty the glovebox and leave it open, leave the boot empty and the parcel shelf out, and make sure the car alarm is activated and I don't think there's much more you could do.

I went for a night walk during the week last week, leaving my car parked at the entrance to a forestry path in Wicklow. I wouldn't have even contemplated doing this without leaving an ETR (estimated time of return) on a piece of paper with my phone number on the dashboard... It's only fair to those who'd otherwise understandably think someone's in trouble.

Could be wrong, but that's always been my line of thinking on it anyway.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I went for a night walk during the week last week, leaving my car parked at the entrance to a forestry path in Wicklow. I wouldn't have even contemplated doing this without leaving an ETR (estimated time of return) on a piece of paper with my phone number on the dashboard... It's only fair to those who'd otherwise understandably think someone's in trouble.

Could be wrong, but that's always been my line of thinking on it anyway.

Gil

Well it's hard to argue with that logic!

Thanks Gil....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

im thinking of going up the caher ridge route. wheres best place to leave the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Hi, I'd be interested to know this too, if anyone can advise. Also, can anyone recommend overnight accommodation nearby, somewhere comfortable but reasonable, and not far from a pub ;) ?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Manuel wrote: »
    Hi, I'd be interested to know this too, if anyone can advise. Also, can anyone recommend overnight accommodation nearby, somewhere comfortable but reasonable, and not far from a pub ;) ?
    Thanks.
    im probably too late but couchsurfing.com is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Try the An Oige hostel in Aghadoe it's about 20 mins from Kilarney, two minutes walk to the pub. And the showers are amazing, it's like getting hit with a car wash spray, feels great after a day on the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahaskmearse

Did the coomloughra horseshoe at the weekend and its something I would defo recommend to any experienced walkers.

http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/caher.html

I stayed at the http://www.kerryway.net/kerry_way_accommodation/lough_acoose_house_bed_breakfast.php

Just to let you know devils ladder is now closed due to how dangerous it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Really, they have closed it..? To be honest not a bad idea since how bad it has become, and with the amount of people who go up every year that are not properly togged out for hiking/climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am driving down at the moment should be ready to start at twelve. Does anyone know where to park for the caher route? I heard of parking/shop facilities but can't find them on GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Do not take the Devil's Ladder - it is an accident waiting to happen (only a matter of time).
    Take the Hydro Trail and then Caher.
    It amazes me that people go up there w/out basic navigation skills.... when you do you roll a dice and hope for the best.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rubyracer

adagio wrote: »
    Do not take the Devil's Ladder - it is an accident waiting to happen (only a matter of time).
    Take the Hydro Trail and then Caher.
    It amazes me that people go up there w/out basic navigation skills.... when you do you roll a dice and hope for the best.
    Enjoy.
    I went up (13) with my 11 yr old brother, two 15 yr old cousins and 2 adults (one my dad). We started off with t-shirts and trainers. We went up the devil's ladder 5 minutes bfore the adults and were waiting 1 hour when we reached the summit. I dont see why people are making such a fuss it is pretty easy. As long as your not crazy - or if you are crazy but you are a good climber (like me and my cousins) you should be fine. Take care!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

any pics ?

Advertisement