Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JBL 10 Speaker/Google Home on steroids. £74

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any links going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

If some can fix title it would be helpful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

givecredit wrote:
    Half price at 74 stg. Use pm/pw to northern Ireland. This is a Google home speaker made by JBL. It's better sounding them the home. It's water proof, has battery so is portable. Has Bluetooth. And so much more.

Looks decent for the money. I like the waterproof feature and the reviews online are fantastic. Strange that it's not really sold in Europe, not even listed on Amazon UK. Only downside I can see is the 5 hour battery, my megaboom does 20 hours. Got it a few years ago, has been underwater, still going strong. €130 well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

tedpan wrote: »
    Looks decent for the money. I like the waterproof feature and the reviews online are fantastic. Strange that it's not really sold in Europe, not even listed on Amazon UK. Only downside I can see is the 5 hour battery, my megaboom does 20 hours. Got it a few years ago, has been underwater, still going strong. €130 well spent.

I'm assuming this can be used plugged in all the time, so has the advantage that you can just move it with you to another room/deck etc by just unplugging and having 5 hours usage. Was tempted by a Google home, even more tempted by this as a result of it's portability. Wonder can the battery be replaced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Qwerty? wrote:
    I'm assuming this can be used plugged in all the time, so has the advantage that you can just move it with you to another room/deck etc by just unplugging and having 5 hours usage. Was tempted by a Google home, even more tempted by this as a result of it's portability. Wonder can the battery be replaced

It's a good deal for the money. It's a sealed unit to make it waterproof so the battery can't be replaced, but will last for several years. JBL/Harmon make quality stuff

Qwerty? wrote: »

Yes, It can be plugged in 24/7. Just disconnect to move around house/office/garden etc.

built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. Power by USB Cable. So years down the road when built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery is no longer charging you could use power bank for portability. But at that stage something new will have caught your eye/ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

givecredit wrote: »
    If some can fix title it would be helpful.

You can do it, go to Edit, Advanced, then you can edit it

I'm assuming it can be delivered to address pal?

Yes, No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How would this compare with Google home? It it likely to get Google assistant updates?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks OP, love the Google Home we have in the Kitchen. This will be perfect for the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hmmm. The fact that the wireless light at the front is always on would mean I would not want it beside the bed. Also is missing updates like broadcast feature which would worry me for future updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Hmmm. The fact that the wireless light at the front is always on would mean I would not want it beside the bed. Also is missing updates like broadcast feature which would worry me for future updates.

Put some black insulation tape over the led

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Updates (I assume) would be via the Google home/assistant app as opposed to the speaker itself, i.e. the speaker hardware, it's the software (again I assume) that would get updates.

Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Looks decent for sure and at the offer price is good.
    However it seems a little hampered. Seems like there are no plans to allow making phone calls and it's a few iterations behind the Google Home software wise.
    The main bug bear I would have is that it's limited in its hands free operation.
    It's fine when plugged in and is in always on listening mode but when you are using it from the battery alone then it goes into power saver mode after 10 mins to save power. You will then have to get up and press the Google assistant button on it to allow it to hear voice commands again. (For example the Amazon Tap is in always on listening mode all the time when using battery)
    I am sure it could be fixed with a software update but JBL seem to be saying that they have no plans to update it to allow always on listening
    That and the silly WiFi light on the front would be a deal breaker for me.

You sure it's missing the broadcast feature? I'm sure I've seen/read recent reviews saying it has it. Also, black tape for the light so that's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭jones

Cheers op ordered one last night for that price it's a great deal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Up to £149 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Like a dog I missed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Like a dog I missed this.

http___makeagif.com__media_5-20-2014_6QyxVP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Updates (I assume) would be via the Google home/assistant app as opposed to the speaker itself, i.e. the speaker hardware, it's the software (again I assume) that would get updates.

Open to correction.
    Doesn't appear to be. Reviews I watched on YouTube said the broadcast feature can be requested from the speaker but only broadcasts to Google home official speakers. Other way around and the JBL will not get the broadcast. Maybe it is fixed.

Also the led light, yep tape could work but it wouldn't look tidy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭jones

Order is on route dying to see how this sounds have been tempted to get google home for ages now so this is a nice toe in the water moment for me. Many people order?

jones wrote: »
    Order is on route dying to see how this sounds have been tempted to get google home for ages now so this is a nice toe in the water moment for me. Many people order?

Yeah, mine is on its way too, should be with parcel motel tomorrow or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Would be interested in real life reviews... anyone who is getting one I am sure we would all like to hear reviews.
    Having had a Amazon Tap I really miss the portability options.

Was thinking of a Tichome Mini also but not sure it's worth its current price of about €85.

Would be interested in real life reviews... anyone who is getting one I am sure we would all like to hear reviews.
    Having had a Amazon Tap I really miss the portability options.

Was thinking of a Tichome Mini also but not sure it's worth its current price of about €85.
    Mine landed in parcel wizard today. Should be in my hands tomorrow.

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Mine landed in parcel wizard today. Should be in my hands tomorrow.

Mine was delivered to addresspal yesterday, so hopefully in my local PO tomorrow. I played around with a echo dot for a few days, loved the idea but hated that you couldn't just carry it into another room without plugging it in and restarting music etc. Also all my music is on Google Play, so hopefully this will tick all the boxes

Advertisement