Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24-Hour Comics and Irish Free Comics Day 2008

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

magwea wrote: »
    At the moment i'm not sure if i should ink the pencils at all since if i do i'm going to need to redraw some pages.

if you were to ink them how would you do it? If I recall correctly the paper the pencils are on while fine for the pencils wouldn't take ink very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

I'm a very cheap man: probably on very low grade paper with fountain pen ink. I have a homemade light box so i would do it on different sheets.

No point being precious about it, since i hardly know what i'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Nice one- it looks deadly as it is and will look deadly if you try anything different.
    Patrick I take your point you made earlier, but I think you miss-read what I said: I wasn't making a suggestion at all, I was simply asking the question. And furthermore Magwea had alluded to inking it himself earlier on in the post!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

So he did - I obviously got a bit muddled there.

No point being precious about it, since i hardly know what i'm doing.

I wasn't thinking about being really precious about the work, in fact I think thats a massive downfall I think alot people have when it comes to artwork, they become way to precious about it and end up not going anywhere. I do find though when it comes to inking most people say they don't like inking, it never works for them etc etc and alot of the time it is down to poor paper and ink choices rather then the actual inking process. [and can I just say thats just a general observation of inking, not something directed at you magwea]

I'm actually going to start a different thread on this as I think I'm wandering off topic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I tried downloading the file, but it downloads halfway then encounters a 404 error, and I've tried multiple times. Any chance you could upload it to Megaupload dude?

Saruwatari wrote: »
    I tried downloading the file, but it downloads halfway then encounters a 404 error, and I've tried multiple times. Any chance you could upload it to Megaupload dude?

I've temp uploaded it to me server [hope thats ok megwea?]

ztoical wrote: »
    I've temp uploaded it to me server [hope thats ok megwea?]
    Ooh, thanks a bunch Cliodhna! It downloaded no problem this time. :D

I don't mind at all, cheers for putting it on your server ztoical, very fancy stuff, hope i don't hog much of your bandwidth. I'll have to sort something else out if rapidshare is giving people gruff.

Yo Saruwatari, sorry for the crappy link earlier, hope you enjoyed the comic in the end. I'd murder to have your 24-hour comic's hatching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Hi folks- my 24 hr is available to see here if anyones interested!

• Advertisement

Awesome stuff Hoovers, great to read the finished comic. The dentist after fixing Igor's teeth is hoist with his own petard. Random acts of violence what comics are all about.

Hahah! Brilliant stuff Ronan, I kind of twitched at the groin part, but absolutely great stuff. :D The last panel was awesome as well...
    Awesome stuff as well Magwea, I'm quite jealous of how easily you drew the mountains in the background! Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced the CBR file, goddamn. Maybe I put it in my comics folder...

Hey all, back from Japan on a massive comics buzz after being locked up a mountain and with nothing to do but draw comics - so amazing, theres some pictures going up slowly over here - I got a bunch of pages emailed while I was away and I'm going to get everything up over the next few weeks. I want to redesign the website but I might put the pages up on the existing comicspace site this week just to have them up an then do the site redesign.

If you did some pages for 24 hour comics day this year and haven't emailed them to me then please do.

I am incredibly jealous, those photos are amazing. Get any good manga when you were over?

And back just in time before the comic creator's challenge dealine.

I am incredibly jealous, those photos are amazing. Get any good manga when you were over?

The location we were at was amazing, I don't think the photos come close to showing how great the views were. Woods were meant to be full of monkies but I didn't see any :(

Hit up a book off [book store chain there, well worth finding one if your ever in Japan] and got like 30 books for 100yen each which is like 80p. Must admit I picked up a pile of Yaoi titles [o no boys run away] Also got some really nice art books which I'll try and scan some pages in from.
    And back just in time before the comic creator's challenge dealine.

Yes, was just talking to Fysh about. Been listening to a bunch of the Mars Volta which has me itching to draw - have to get the comics I did in Japan finished as they are doing a big publication of them all but really want to get stuff done for this round of the challenge.

ztoical wrote: »
    Must admit I picked up a pile of Yaoi titles [o no boys run away] Also got some really nice art books which I'll try and scan some pages in from..

I love freaking out my none comic reading friends about these "crazy comics from japan". I mostly find yaoi completely disconcerting, at least bara i can understand in principal.

Gorgeous photos there Cliodhna. Is this Lingua-yoke event an annual thing or what? Oh, welcome back as well!
    I'd kill to go to Book Off, I'd bring every penny I have. The nearest one is damn America though... >_>
    I'm interested in seeing some scans from those art books you mentioned as well! :P

have posted some of the 24 hour comics to the comicspace site - still missing a few *cough* fysh *cough*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I just realised today that I'd forgotten to scan mine. Hmmm, I shall try to sort that out shortly, although it's bloody terrible so I suspect just burning it and denying all knowledge of it might be a better thing to do with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Hey just like to thank everyone again for taking part.I saw some of the comics up on comic space and they look quite nice.Diggin Ronans Random Acts of Violence (especially the last panel) and the random reaction comic.Its hard to imagine that such stories developed over the course of one day.Thats why there should be a 365 day comic..thats the next step :D
    Cant wait to see what else gets submitted over the next few days.

Until then peace,land and bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Do any of you guys have an idea of when will the next year's free comics day will take place?

Do any of you guys have an idea of when will the next year's free comics day will take place?

do you mean "Free comic book day" or "the Irish free comic book day"?

Free comic book day will take place on the 2nd of May 2009 but I doubt any of the comic shops in the country know wither they will be getting any of the free comic day comics in yet.

There has been discussion of the a second irish free comic book day in 2009 possibly again around the same time as 24 hour comic day but its still very much in the planning stages right now.

Advertisement