Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Book

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Never heard of it tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Nerin wrote: »
    yeah,sacred texts i do believe was the site.
    he gave me floppys of all the old stuff,what i meant was instead of ravenwolf(ughhh) id love a big dusty agrippa. hmmmm *shudders*
    also on my list of For the Win! books is Cunningham, the two Wicca solitary ones,and the book on magical plants and herbs. very nice indeed.
    also,just for a nice medieval type book to have, Gerards Herbal is beautiful.
    Cunningham was my introduction to the form of paganism I personally practice now. Definitiely ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Abhainn-Rivers

Hey i was wondering if anyone else had read this book its called 'Solitary Witch' and its written by Silver Ravenwolf.

I found it a great book full of information so wif anyone has a thirst for Wicca Knowledge they should check it out!

I shock myself but I actually have this book! I found it to be a lot better that others of hers I flicked through. I think though thats because she clearly uses a lot of other people's resources and I would have appreciated knowing where she sourced the information.

It's a good resource book for getting someone thinking but at the end of the day the book does not a Pagan/witch make. There are thousands of ideas out there from people practicing all the time.

Okay and has anyone heard of the book ''Outer temple of Witchcraft''

Eeek recently bought this and more of Penczak's works. He's highly repetitive and I think much of this is due to the length of time between publications particularly with when with Llewellyn...each book is like a year apart. Also once again citation is an issue. Also he references the Lightworker community which is what I think most of Ireland refers to as New Agers, but he has a point it's post the new age movement of the 60s so perhaps Lightworker is best.

I should explain the Lightworkers are mostly people that identify with the idea of planetary evolution and Age of Aquarius but on a more intuitive level. Something I find personally difficult and I have friends in the section of society.

And as for Wiccan Temple, its true there really aren't many physical ones but creating a sacred space on the astral plane has been a action of Wicca pretty much since its inception. Traditional Wicca often advises setting a physical room aside for work which seeds the foundation on the astral. Point of reference Penczak is involved with ceremonialism on some level, I think by his writing this is mostly through OTO material.

His personal website might be of aid... http://www.christopherpenczak.com/ at least to get a sense of the author. Like I said he was very repetitive and in Ascension Magick I got bored with the Lightworker references but I suppose he was writing for members of that community as much as for Pagans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I would like to recommend anything by Terry Pratchett for anyone, if there is anyone who hasnt heard of them.
    His more recent Wee Free Men series is some of his best work even if he does say so himself.
    Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches abroad, are three from the Discworld Series that all have the witches as central charachters.
    As well as being a good laugh, with plenty of witchy in jokes, there are some real nuggets of wisdom.
    Its a bit hard to explain and remember were in the Sci Fi/Fantasy section here which some people can find a bit .... well heres an excerpt from one of the Discworld novels Witches Abroad to give a kind of flavour.
    This is the Discworld, which travels through space on the back of four elephants which in themselves stand on the shell of the Great A'Tuin, the sky turtle.
    Once upon a time such a universe was considered unusual and, possibly impossible.
    But then...it used to be so simple, once upona time.
    Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientists panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.
    Occasionally he would straighten up and say things like 'Hurrah, Ive discovered Boyles Third Law' And everyone knew where they stood. But the trouble was that ignorance became more interesting, especially big fascinating ignorance about huge and impodrtant things like matter and creation, and people stopped patiently building their little houses of rational sticks in the chaos itself- partly because it was a lot easier to be an expert on chaos, but mostly because it make really good pattern that you could put on a t-shirt.
    And instead of getting on with proper science ( like finding that bloody butterfly whose wings cause all these storms) scientists suddenly went around saying how impossible it was to know anything, .........

On witchcraft itself
    Up on the mountain, the sabbat had settled down a bit.
    Artists and writers have always had a rather exaggerated idea about what goes on at a witches sabbat. This comes from spending too much time in small rooms with the curtains drawn, instead of getting out in the healthy fresh air.
    For example, there's the dancing around naked. In the average temperate climate there are very few nights when anyone would dance around at midnight with no clothes on, quite apart from the question of stones, thistles, and sudden hedgehogs.............

And finally there's the sabbats themselves. Your average witch is not, by nature, a social animal as far as other witches are concerned. Theres a conflict of dominant personalities. Theres a group of ringleaders without a ring. Theres a basic rule of witchcraft, which is 'Dont do what you will, do what I say' The natural size of a coven is one. Witches only get together when they cant avoid it.

I imagine there are a few people who've been there and appreciate his humour.
    Humour is certainly a great gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 luna77

http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Titanias-Book-White-Magic/dp/1903845068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276293220&sr=1-1
    I have the hardback and has beautiful images and inspiration. Based on the 13 moons and a separate theme and reading. As an introduction it is fine.

It is what could possibly be not a serious book on witchcraft and some of the spells I do not agree with but other than that I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

I actually read Penczak's first book, 'City Magick' when I was younger. I found it to have a very interesting take/view on energies in built-up and city areas. And it was slightly more Shamanistic or Spiritual than magick with a k (if I remember correctly). It was an easy read, and I found it worth it for the slightly different viewpoint, if nothing else.

That said, I haven't read his newer books, and reading the descriptions doubt I ever will.

(Sorry if this is digging up an old thread, I'm only back on boards after a few years away, and this caught my attention. Hope to have newer more relevant stuff to talk about in future.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is an old thread but it's a good one, which is why it's sticked at the top of the forum for more people to contribute to. Good to see you back posting again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

Oh well, in that case! Thank you, it feels good to be back :)

I had this idea in my head that I had many books to add to this list, but having looked at my bookshelves most have been packed away, and I only feel right talking about books I have to hand. So, for now, I have just two. Both books focus on the feminine experience, and are not without their problems.

'The Wise Wound' by Penelope Shuttle and Peter Redgrove, first published in 1978. It provides much food for thought regarding a woman's relationship with her body, menstration in particular, and how this affects her whole being. If you can make allowances for statements like 'Witchcraft: Nine Million Menstrual Murders' you might find this an engaging and important read.

'Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women' by Emma Restall Orr, first published 2009. The book is written from a Shamanistic/Druidic point of view, and to my mind suffers greatly from drawing very distinct gender divides and definitions. Apart from that, it looks at the different faces and roles of women today, and explores them, with some deeply personal stories and information shared from a variety of women. I find some parts challenging to read, and others ring very true. If this kind of exploration of femaleness interests you then I recommend it.

This thread got me thinking about the first book I read. It was a book borrowed from the library, about Celts, with a section on their beliefs and practices. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I've narrowed it down to probably one of two books (either J. A. MacCulloch or Murry Hope). I'm planning to see if I can figure out which book it was, and if it's worth recommending.

Emm, that's it for now :)

chebe wrote: »
    'The Wise Wound' by Penelope Shuttle and Peter Redgrove, first published in 1978. It provides much food for thought regarding a woman's relationship with her body, menstration in particular, and how this affects her whole being. If you can make allowances for statements like 'Witchcraft: Nine Million Menstrual Murders' you might find this an engaging and important read.

I'd be curious as to whether there is a voice for men in such a novel? Speaking as one (yeah I know...shhh tell no one ;)) what I've often found even in sexual health programmes is that there can be very little for men to explore female sex and sexuality in a safe and healthy manner.

I know Penczak released a book called Sons of the Goddess but to be honest I never really could sink my teeth into it, actually forget why now?! Hmm methinks I have a review to do! ;) Though I was asked some time ago to review a book on YouTube by one Dancing Rabbit called, "The Horned God" and I have to say while still somewhat light in parts it works as a male voice to the Divine Male archetype.
    chebe wrote: »
    'Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women' by Emma Restall Orr, first published 2009. The book is written from a Shamanistic/Druidic point of view, and to my mind suffers greatly from drawing very distinct gender divides and definitions. Apart from that, it looks at the different faces and roles of women today, and explores them, with some deeply personal stories and information shared from a variety of women. I find some parts challenging to read, and others ring very true. If this kind of exploration of femaleness interests you then I recommend it.

Uwgh shame that it does adopt such divisions. I started a thread dealing with gender divisions and the taboo around sex and sexuality today because of such common aspects to pagan books doing this very thing! :mad: Frustrating beyond belief!

The exploration of people's experiences would interest me mind you! Hmm could be one for the wishlist when I become stinking rich!

Thanks for the reviews Chebe!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I found these 2 books to be very helpful when I was first looking into such books way back when: BEARMAG.jpg

and

51kn1uViU4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Judika Illes has written some very informative and interesting books, fantastic place to start I.M.O! she's a knowlegeable woman and she's good fun. There are copies on amazon and play.com for pingin and sometimes easons et. al stock her books.

http://judikailles.com/

Advertisement