Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dashcams and Data Protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

FFS. Probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Soon you will need to fill out a report on the contents of your toilet each time you flush it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

are the motor forum showing reg of bad parking in breach of DP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Ok my question is why only a forward facing camera is "allowed".
    If i am worried that any car crash will be rear ended why can't I have a rear facing dashcam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-06/190606%20Guidance%20for%20Drivers%20on%20the%20use%20of%20Dash%20Cams.pdf

Am I right to think this means someone with a dash cam should have contact details on the windscreen In the first instance, there should be a clearly visible sign or sticker on and/or inside the vehicle, as applicable, to indicate that filming is taking place. A policy sheet detailing your contact details, the basis on which you are collecting the images and audio of others, the purposes for which the data is being used and how long you will retain it for

Or read the part after that quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ok my question is why only a forward facing camera is "allowed".
    Do you mean in this bit? Read the second sentence.
    Dash cams can be outward-only facing and record video of the road ahead. Equally,
    versions exist that record both audio and video, and that record both inside the vehicle
    and the road outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Look

There's the law and there's the enforcment of the law

This will not be enforced. It's technically right but practically worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Am I right to think this means someone with a dash cam should have contact details on the windscreen

No just a sticker indicating that there is a camera recording

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-06/190606%20Guidance%20for%20Drivers%20on%20the%20use%20of%20Dash%20Cams.pdf

Am I right to think this means someone with a dash cam should have contact details on the windscreen In the first instance, there should be a clearly visible sign or sticker on and/or inside the vehicle, as applicable, to indicate that filming is taking place. A policy sheet detailing your contact details, the basis on which you are collecting the images and audio of others, the purposes for which the data is being used and how long you will retain it for

I thought that was only for commercial drivers but with the horse**** ruling of the Rynes case I wouldn't be surprised. The original, and appropriate, intent of GDPR has been bastardised by daftness

Keith186 wrote: »
    Or read the part after that quote.
    You mean "should be prepared by you and made available on request to anyone who asks for further information. Alternatively, you may provide the information verbally. In the event of an accident, you should advise the other party that you have recorded footage of the accident"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

You mean "should be prepared by you and made available on request to anyone who asks for further information. Alternatively, you may provide the information verbally. In the event of an accident, you should advise the other party that you have recorded footage of the accident"
    Yeah, so just use the alternative method of providing your info to someone who asks if you don't want to out up a sticker (which is understandable).
    You're only likely to be asked for those details if you've got footage of an accident.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Yeah, so just use the alternative method of providing your info to someone who asks if you don't want to out up a sticker (which is understandable).
    You're only likely to be asked for those details if you've got footage of an accident.
    It says a policy sheet should be made... then you can give the info verbally. So should you have the sheet even if you give details verbally?

Can't see many people asking unless an accident they would hardle be aware they are on camera. My camera writes over the data anyway unless press a button to save

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Riskymove wrote: »
    No just a sticker indicating that there is a camera recording
    The general consensus with CCTV is that the notice requires:
    1. Notification that CCTV is in use
    2. The purposes for the use of CCTV
    3. Contact details for the controller
    I thought that was only for commercial drivers but with the horse**** ruling of the Rynes case I wouldn't be surprised. The original, and appropriate, intent of GDPR has been bastardised by daftness
    Rynes was a pre-GDPR case so it very much informed the drafting of the GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Robbo wrote: »
    The general consensus with CCTV is that the

I simply giving a view on what the DPC says in the link in the OP

they do not say you need to have a long notice about purposes and contact details displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What camera?
    Right there.... No sd card....

No comment also works well.

Advertisement