Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone actually believe that Gerry Adams wasn't in the IRA?

Options
  • 17-09-2019 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Yet another senior IRA man comes out saying that Adams was in it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49718168
    A veteran republican who helped found the Provisional IRA has said Gerry Adams was a member of the organisation and described his denials as "a lie".

Des Long has given an interview to BBC Spotlight as part of its series on the Troubles.

He claimed he attended meetings of the IRA's ruling executive with Mr Adams, who was there as "chairman of the army council".

I was surprised to see this in the top news stories because like, who doesn't believe this? We've had numerous other IRA people come out and say it in the past (and give details of the murders he ordered) so is this a shock to anyone? The man's been lying for decades but it just suits all sides to nod away and agree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nope.

At least McGuinness had the stones to own up, Adams is a spineless jellyfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

He probably just hadn't filled in the form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It is no secret that at one point, Gerry Adams was head of the IRA.

Every Cat and Dog in the street knows it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

At this point in his life, I suspect that Gerry Adams himself doesn't believe that he was ever in the IRA. That's what lying consistently about something for 40 years can do to a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Yet another senior IRA man comes out saying that Adams was in it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49718168

I was surprised to see this in the top news stories because like, who doesn't believe this? We've had numerous other IRA people come out and say it in the past (and give details of the murders he ordered) so is this a shock to anyone? The man's been lying for decades but it just suits all sides to nod away and agree.

My thoughts exactly. How could anyone think that "Gerry Adams WAS in IRA" could be news in 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

McGuinness was found guilty of membership and served a few months in Portlaoise (This is despite him giving tv interviews admitting membership and being in documentaires in the North). Adams has only ever been jailed due to internment without trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe they never told him it was the IRA he was in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Obviously pro unionist sentiment must be in the gutter up North... they need an old story to get the flegs flying again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There have been many threads on Gerry Adams IRA membership before with some notable posters strenuously denying the reality.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

lawred2 wrote: »
    Obviously pro unionist sentiment must be in the gutter up North... they need an old story to get the flegs flying again

Who's "they"? The IRA man that was interviewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Gerry built a political carrer around lies and a cult of personality. He has lied about his IRA membership for so long, he probably believes it himself.

It does make sense in some way, for a person like that, to direct and order terrorist activities and downplay the effects it had on the island of Ireland, to try and compartmentalise his moral being and self. If you are going to order a mother to be shot dead, sure what is a lie about his IRA membership between friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭randd1

Of course he wasn't, sure he told us often enough.

In other news, ironically also involving Gerry Adams, reports are that his pants have spontaneously caught fire, his nose has grown to extraordinary lengths and a wolf killed his sheep while the townsfolk refused to help him.

Gerry Adams also reports that these phenomena have nothing to do with his previous statements on IRA membership.

Who's "they"? The IRA man that was interviewed?

the faceless nameless anonymous IRA man yeah

everyone seems to have a collection of unnamed sources these days... amazing how good these journos are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He may have let his dues lapse so technically....

IMO, I think he had to lie about it. Otherwise he'd never be taken as a politician, especially in the early days.
    But any member would have been stupid to come out IMO. The IRA didn't have the luxury of British 'law' to cover for them and back them up.

the faceless nameless anonymous IRA man yeah

everyone seems to have a collection of unnamed sources these days... amazing how good these journos are

The what? Did you even look at the link? He's named and will be on the tv show. Not faceless. Not unsourced. You couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh no, let me guess... you actually believe Gerry, don't you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure doesnt it say he was IRA Chief of Staff on his LinkedIn profile!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd say technically he wasn't, but he may as well have been. I also say who cares? I certainly don't.

The what? Did you even look at the link? He's named and will be on the tv show. Not faceless. Not unsourced. You couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh no, let me guess... you actually believe Gerry, don't you?

actually no I don't believe him... It was never really credible. Just not something that I ever got too excited about. Frankly I couldn't give a sh!t. Doesn't change anything.

actually no I don't believe him... It was never really credible. Just not something that I ever got too excited about. Doesn't change anything.

Excited enough to blame "they" (whomever they may be), attempt to disparage and mock the source and now to gentley sidestep it all and claim it doesn't matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

maccored wrote: »
    I'd say technically he wasn't, but he may as well have been. I also say who cares? I certainly don't.

I’d imagine the families of all the people blown to bits might care, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I’d imagine the families of all the people blown to bits might care, dude.

what the hell has that got to do with the equation? Going for the sympathy vote are we?

Excited enough to blame "they" (whomever they may be), attempt to disparage and mock the source and now to gentley sidestep it all and claim it doesn't matter :)

Forgive me - my opinion of modern journalism isn't very high..

In fact I trust next to none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Did he also lie about knowing that his brother was an abuser?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Needs Must wrote: »
    Did he also lie about knowing that his brother was an abuser?

He did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

IMO, I think he had to lie about it. Otherwise he'd never be taken as a politician, especially in the early days.
    But any member would have been stupid to come out IMO. The IRA didn't have the luxury of British 'law' to cover for them and back them up.

That is a cop-out, in fairness. Martin McGuiness was always upfront about it. Didn't stop him from sharing power with the late Rev. Ian Paisley.

Also, the Good Friday Agreement was more than 20 years ago, yet today he still lies like the best of them about his IRA membership.

He could come clean.... but he is the man he is, so he continues to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, that's silly. It was a necessary lie for sinn fein to be part of the peace process. And I think it's obviously good that sinn fein was the political wing of the ira. So its a lie, and everyone knows it's a lie so what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Who cares, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

I'd say for Gerry to admit it you need to Define the word "In" as he was more "In" Sinn Fein while being over the IRA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

And here we go.

You are constantly giving out about FFG lying and how utterly outraged you are.

So what’s different?

Advertisement