Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE announces official NXT UK brand

• 18-06-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

NXT is getting a UK off shoot. So if any of the mods want to split this from the news thread...

https://twitter.com/WWEUK/status/1008803290824495105
    NXT UK, a new UK series featuring the greatest competitors from the UK and Ireland. The UK Championship title, plus two new Championships – the UK Women’s Championship title and UK Tag Team Championship titles – will be on the line. #NXTUK

https://twitter.com/KennyMc1985/status/1008801633185206273
    WOW, Johnny Saint has just announced WWE NXT UK. London is going nuts. They promise a tag team division, women’s division. Tapings start July 28 and 29 in Cambridge then tapings in Birmingham, Plymouth and Liverpool. Holy ****. #WWEUKCT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

I assume this is going to seriously effect the contracts the current WWE UK guys are on regarding other indie promotions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's awesome. I wonder if they'll do a few Irish shows. Could easily film somewhere over here.

Could be bad news for the likes of OTT though if there's a dedicated UK WWE brand now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

Could definitely see them filming in Ireland, I wonder what venue they'd run.

Curious to see where this airs too, I remember hearing some talk initially that they wanted to get it on free tv so the could compete with WOS.
    Interesting times ahead for the UK and Irish scene I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well ITV and WOS just found got murdered again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Well ITV and WOS just found got murdered again.

Yeah WWE seem to have been strangely worried about that. I’m not sure there was ever any real prospect of WOS having any kind of impact on WWE financially or any other way. Especially given the figures that they’ll soon be getting for US TV will dwarf anything they get from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ThePott wrote:
    I assume this is going to seriously effect the contracts the current WWE UK guys are on regarding other indie promotions

They'll work for ones wwe are in a working relationship with. Pretty bad news for indie groups relying on home grown talent as WWE will hover them up as they won't want anyone else excelling on their turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what kind of progression they will have. Like if they do well do they join NXT or go to the main roster?

Pentecost wrote: »
    Yeah WWE seem to have been strangely worried about that. I’m not sure there was ever any real prospect of WOS having any kind of impact on WWE financially or any other way. Especially given the figures that they’ll soon be getting for US TV will dwarf anything they get from the UK.

WWE didn't get to where they are by ignoring competition, no matter how big or small. I'm sure they'd love to have snuffed out the likes of New Japan before they got started, so they could retain the power in Japan.

I remember reading that if ITV did a wrestling show, even if it had relatively poor ratings, it would still dwarf the size of the audience that watches WWE shows on Sky. There's a market there in the UK for wrestling; look at the phenomenal growth of indy wrestling in the last 2-3 years in Ireland and the UK. So WWE want to be the ones to capitalize on it.

I remember years ago reading that Shane McMahon wanted to start up a European branch of WWE, be it a full brand or just a top tier developmental system. There's a massive uptapped market there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Great opportunity for Irish wrestlers IMO, never would there have been such a clear route to the WWE and surely they will want a certain amount on the WWE UK roster just for diversity sake (same for scots/welsh etc).

Be interesting to see if different nationalities have factions too.

I've a feeling Dunne will drop his title to whoever wins the tournament though thus allowing him to go full time in non U.K. NXT (but perhaps sporadically showing up in England on special occasions afterwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That's awesome. I wonder if they'll do a few Irish shows. Could easily film somewhere over here.

Could be bad news for the likes of OTT though if there's a dedicated UK WWE brand now though.

I'd expect they'll be allowed work with affiliated indies like Progress and OTT. Good experience for the guys. and if they start pulling from the UK/ Irish Model/ Bodybuilder scene a good proving ground too. (Like when they sent Brachus to ECW in the 90s etc) Rob Terry must be looking at his phone now waiting for it to ring

• Advertisement

Is 31 too late to start training, I wonder :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ThePott wrote: »
    Could definitely see them filming in Ireland, I wonder what venue they'd run.

Tivoli!? :PAC:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

oneilla wrote: »
    Tivoli!? :PAC:

Scheduled for demolition unfortunately.. From thejournal.ie at the start of the year.
    AN BORD PLEANÁLA has ordered a developer to preserve by photographic record graffiti at one of the best-known sites for street art in Dublin.

In a novel condition attached to giving the go-ahead for demolishing the Tivoli Theatre in Dublin’s Liberties area and replacing it with a five-storey, 289-bed ‘aparthotel’, the appeals board has inserted the ‘graffiti condition’.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tivoli-theatre-hotel-2-3804955-Jan2018/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is 31 too late to start training, I wonder :P

DDP was like 34 wasnt he theres a chance for us all

I notice Maxer is over here for the summer, be very surprised if he isn't given a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will these be weekly shows like NXT (episodes taped each night) or be like mini PPV events spread over 2 nights and aired together

I'm tempted to fly over for one of the weekends ??

I wonder will this have any effect on the UK regarding main roster tv tapings/possible future main roster PPV ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Officer999

HHH really is progressive I must say when it comes to NXT.

Great move again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Anyone else watched the tourney? the British Strong Style/Undisputed era matches are definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Skipped through the two nights in an hour as all the time I uad, watched Gibson v Dunne, Webster v Devlin, suprised at Devlins showing, but Webster looked great , some cool moves and a nice gimmick. Dunne is just fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Got tickets to the Birmingham show, so I'm excited for this one now!

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to fly over for one of tapings but funds won't allow it

Hopefully they go on into 2019 and may be have an Irish taping or PPV event with some of the NXT guys

Are they showing all the events live on the network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

First NXT UK women's champion is
    Rhea Ripley, she beat Toni Storm in the final.

Didn't read the spoiler, but how long until we see it, if there are already other matches filmed?
    You would think Evolution would be a good place to promote that title as well.

And going by the photo Triple H tweeted about the women's title, I think the women need to be tested for testosterone injections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

J. Marston wrote: »
    First NXT UK women's champion is
    Rhea Ripley, she beat Toni Storm in the final.

Wow, surprising. Then again as usual they need their own at the top.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the women need to be tested for testosterone injections
    SMH

Wow, surprising. Then again as usual they need their own at the top.

I think they've been steered away from that a lot. Sure you have Roman, Alexa and Charlotte as the golden children but every indie guy who comes into NXT is a big deal and almost certainly wins a title, Kairi with the MYC and now the women's title, AJ is Mr TNA and he's the longest reigning WWE champ since JBL (I think?) They were also ready to push Finn to the moon until he got that injury. (We won't mention Asuka and Nakamura)

Anyway, don't know much about her but looking at her, I'd think she would
    suit a monster role much more than someone like Nia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think they've been steered away from that a lot. Sure you have Roman, Alexa and Charlotte as the golden children but every indie guy who comes into NXT is a big deal and almost certainly wins a title, Kairi with the MYC and now the women's title, AJ is Mr TNA and he's the longest reigning WWE champ since JBL (I think?) They were also ready to push Finn to the moon until he got that injury. (We won't mention Asuka and Nakamura)

Anyway, don't know much about her but looking at her, I'd think she would
    suit a monster role much more than someone like Nia.
    I enjoyed Rhea in the first MYC, bags of potential. But I don't know... seeing her go over Toni (who should arguably be on the main roster) and win a title on her first night seems a bit much.

I enjoyed Rhea in the first MYC, bags of potential. But I don't know... seeing her go over Toni (who should arguably be on the main roster) and win a title on her first night seems a bit much.
    I'm on my mobile so hope the spoiler tags work... Was at the show, the ref threw up the X so wasn't really sure if it was a work or not, whole place was quite surprised by Rhea winning!

Quite tempted to head to Plymouth now I enjoyed it so much!

• Advertisement

First episode aired last night. Thought it did a good job. Will see how they go over the weeks.
    Had to laugh at Trent saying Tyler was the youngest UK champion, considering it was a 50/50 chance of him being youngest or oldest.

Will there be 2019 tapings ???

Last 2018 ones are in Liverpool the end of Nov

Rumours the first NXT UK Takeover will be announced at this weekend's Liverpool tapings with the venue being the Echo Arena in Liverpool

Deff consider the trip over

I was watching this weekly and only realised this week there were 2 a week. Explains so much, like how I missed Jordan Devlin's debut match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was watching this weekly and only realised this week there were 2 a week. Explains so much, like how I missed Jordan Devlin's debut match

I honestly think they forgot how many episodes they'd recorded and are now trying to catch back up

On episode 5 myself

Really enjoying it but some of the characters seem cartoonish (modfather, lingero)

I wonder will it ever do tapings in Dublin ??. Obv not UK but we produce a lot of stars here and WWE are well aware of that

• Advertisement

Was at Birmingham, they tape 4 episodes each night. Heading to Liverpool tomorrow, looking forward to it again! Will definitely get takeover tickets if that's true.

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Was at Birmingham, they tape 4 episodes each night. Heading to Liverpool tomorrow, looking forward to it again! Will definitely get takeover tickets if that's true.

If I do get takeover tickets I hope Triple H appears in the ring as I always wanted to see him in person obv won't be competing

We will hopefully find out about UK Takeover this weekend. E

Enjoy ur weekend

NXT UK Takeover will be in Blackpool Jan 13th 2019

Hotel rooms are cheap enough if it's in the Empress Ballroom for the 13th Jan

Think fly into Liverpool or Manchester and get train too Blackpool ??

Not sure I'll go not enough notice only a few weeks away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

PTH2009 wrote: »
    NXT UK Takeover will be in Blackpool Jan 13th 2019

Ugh, wish They'd call it something other than Takeover.

It's actually Sat 12th Jan 2019 in the Empress Ballroom Blackpool

The card so far of the Takeover show, as per tonight's tapings.
    UK Championship
    Pete Dunne vs Joe Coffey

UK Women's Championship
    Rhea Ripley vs Toni Storm

UK Tag Championships
    Mustache Mountain vs Gallus

Got to be honest, don't know everyone on the Uk show. Be very interesting to see if it can live up to it's US namesake.

Gallus aren't in the tag match, they lost the semi to moustache mountain!

The second semi final should be tonight, unfortunately I can't make it. Great atmosphere last night, the venue is very cool but the one thing I don't like about the tv taping is the hard camera was facing the entire crowd so everything the wrestlers were doing was toward a big screen and it just looked a bit weird but it's obviously for TV.

Probably going to try get to Blackpool for the 12th, hopefully tickets aren't hard to get!

Fixed your spoiler tag.

My bad then, must have misread the match announcement.

Finn vs Devlin in a surprise match on Takeover, just starting now. Should be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

some pop for balor

Anyone want to give me the lowdown on what's happening on the brand before NXT Takeover Cardiff next Sat ?. Havent had time to watch the episodes weekly. Is Pete Dunne still top guy

Will Dublin get a takeover or tapings in the future do u say???. Belfast more likely with been in the UK but they do easily do NXT Uk goes international

Walter is champ and facing Tyler Bate.
    Kay Lee Ray is fighting Toni Storm for her title.
    Mark Andrews/Flash Morgan Webster vs Gallus vs the Grizzled Young Veterans for the tag titles
    Dave Mastiff is against Joe Coffey
    Noam Dar takes on Travis Banks

• Advertisement
Advertisement