Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford GAA Discussion Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

There is a fair divide between the football and hurling squads in Gorey though. Their stand out footballers are guys like Brian Cushe, Rian Fitzpatrick, Seamus O'Donnell, Michael Molloy. none of those are senior hurlers. Brian Cushe and Rian Fitz were on the junior team that won their championship but football would be their preferred sport. Throw in the like of Jack Cullen, Jack Cushe, Jack Doran and a few more that are committed dual players and they look strong.

I still think that the Martins are the strongest team down there, but Naomh Eanna could easily rattle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

At some stage you would think that Gorey would get it together enough to get up to senior football.

They do have the players to do it but the desire didnt seem to be there for the past few years. Ive a feeling that winning both hurling finals has given them the spur to push on in football in what would be an historic year for the club.

The martins have the players to match them.

hard to know in regards to last weeks games though in any grade, EP took an unprecedented amount of players for clubs it seems and in reality there are so many players playing on fumes really with zero breaks for certain clubs and max a week or so for others.

Our structure does nothing for football unfortunately.

Absolutely agree re the structures hurting football. Clubs are even seeing a lot of lads opting out of football once the hurling has ended. The upside of this of course is that it is levelling the playing field for all clubs in the hurling championship. The advantage that Oulart, Rathnure et al had when they were getting break weeks when football was alternating with hurling is gone. Has that helped the likes of Gorey and especially Shels, Rapps/Starlights? All genuine dual clubs that have won hurling championships in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Kinda have to disagree,

Those clubs were all starting to dominate before we decided on this split season approach, Oulart and Rathnure have been on the slide anyway, rathnure hadnt been in a final since 2011, oulart havent won since 2016. In the last 8 years its been strong dual clubs at the business end.

Hurling has changed and you see a lot more running the ball through the lines, its adopted a lot of the football approach to games, sweepers, off the shoulder running through the lines and for me thats coincided with those dual clubs starting to dominate.

I take your point alright, its a fair comment, but I'd have to say that all clubs only having a 1 week break against some getting 2 has made a huge difference as well. Look at the rise of clubs like the St James and Taghmon. Both very close to a major breakthrough. I think the split season has been good for them as they get a good block of hurling only rather than alternating week on week with football.

I'd also have to say that I think had the old system been in place St Martins would have sacrificed the football altogether and dominated the hurling.

Advertisement