Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) information

• 02-07-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Part of the remit of tGC is men's health. There was a thread for Men's Health Week in June but I thought it would be better to have a separate thread now.

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) website is http://www.mhfi.org/ .

They have just sent out the July issue of their e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale7.doc

Here is the list of contents for the July edition:
    NEWS
    Free Online Fitness Training Programme
    “ARK E-type” Newsletter Launched
    “Health Facts for Men” Leaflet Available
    New MHFI Website on the Way
    Healthy Minds Grants
    Strategic Advisory Group Members Needed

EVENTS
    “Men Have Feelings” Summer School
    Working with Fathers Presentation Morning
    Hanna’s House Summer School
    Parents’ Week 2010

TRAINING
    “Legal Highs” Workshop for Practitioners
    Young People and Money Training
    Train as a Parents Helpline Volunteer
    Community Broadcasters Needed

RESEARCH
    “Men and Physical Activity” Factsheet
    CAP Research Showcase Event

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION
    Submit an Article for Next Issue
    (If anyone wants to submit info, the link is: http://www.mhfi.org/emalematters.htm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

I find it funny that part of the remit of TGC is mens health and yet we're not allowed to discuss any health/medical matters.

A typically efficient Irish setup :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

RedRebel wrote: »
    I find it funny that part of the remit of TGC is mens health and yet we're not allowed to discuss any health/medical matters.

A typically efficient Irish setup :rolleyes:

you might want to recheck your facts

we discuss plenty of health and medical related matters, and encourage this as part of health promotion

however, we cannot give personal medical advice

thats a different situation altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

sam34 wrote: »
    you might want to recheck your facts

we discuss plenty of health and medical related matters, and encourage this as part of health promotion

however, we cannot give personal medical advice

thats a different situation altogether.

Ok, fair point. We CAN discuss up to a certain point. I've only frequented this forum myself in the last few weeks and have seen several threads closed due to people inquiring about certain symptoms they are experiencing. Seemed heavy handed to me but the rules are the rules I suppose.

Thing is though, I suspect most people go to forums seeking advice, not information. If it's information they want then forums are usually not the most accurate or balanced sources, not to mention inefficient.

What is the reasoning behind the ban on medical advice anyway? I presume it's from fear of claims for damages from forummers blindly acting on advice given through the forum. If so it's a sad state of affairs but the norm in this day and age. Seems to me people taking responsibility for their actions is a missing concept in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

RedRebel wrote: »
    Ok, fair point. We CAN discuss up to a certain point. I've only frequented this forum myself in the last few weeks and have seen several threads closed due to people inquiring about certain symptoms they are experiencing. Seemed heavy handed to me but the rules are the rules I suppose.

Thing is though, I suspect most people go to forums seeking advice, not information. If it's information they want then forums are usually not the most accurate or balanced sources, not to mention inefficient.
    What is the reasoning behind the ban on medical advice anyway? I presume it's from fear of claims for damages from forummers blindly acting on advice given through the forum. If so it's a sad state of affairs but the norm in this day and age. Seems to me people taking responsibility for their actions is a missing concept in society.

you;ve hit the nail on the head right there

anyone can post on these forums and can claim to have any qualifications, we cant verify those

the advice they give can very often be dirven by their own agenda (be that anti-vaccine, anti-psychiatry, anti-conventional medicine, whatever)

then, what is posted is never going to be teh full story

the op will give some but not necessarily all the relevant info, some of this may well be inaccurate

nobody can do a physical examination of the OP, nobody knows their full medical history etc, so its impossible give an opinion

its not so much to protect boards form litigation, its to protect people who ae sick, in pain, worried and therefore vulnerable from unscrupulous charlatans who can post anything from the security of anonymity.

no doctor worth their salt would tackle a medical advice question over the net.

anyone who follows medical advice from randomers on the net is a bit naive, to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the August issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale8.doc

Here is the list of contents for the August edition:
    NEWS
    Men and Boys Run for Health
    Discipline and Boys who are Under Five
    Parents’ Week 2010
    Fathers - their Child’s First Coach
    Support Project for Young Men
    CRIS Health Promotion Library has Moved

EVENTS
    Kick Start Presentation Morning
    Cross Border Men’s Groups Workshop

TRAINING
    Online Fitness Programme for Men
    Men Needed for Parents Helpline
    Young People and Money Training

RESEARCH
    Are Men Interested in Physical Activity?

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

(If anyone wants to submit info, the link is: http://www.mhfi.org/emalematters.htm)

• Advertisement

I just got this update.
    I don't know much about websites but it looks nice and bright.

================
    Dear Colleague,

The next edition of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland’s “E-Male Matters” newsletter (www.mhfi.org/what-is-e-male-matters.html) will be distributed at the beginning of September 2010. I am writing to ask if you have / know of any information (research, events, training, resources, news etc.) affecting men and boys which should be included in it. Please see our website (www.mhfi.org/what-is-e-male-matters.html) for the template for articles, and email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org The submission deadline for the September edition is Friday 27th August 2010.

I’d also like to let you know that the new look Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) website (www.mhfi.org) has now gone live. It is hoped that this will provide a focal point for information on men’s health, specifically, and men’s work, generally. We are seeking to build-up the range of links offered in our “Resources” section, and this will expand over the coming weeks. All suggestions will be gratefully received! MHFI would like to express its thanks and gratitude to Peter Robinson, from Noostyle Web Design in Belfast (www.noostyle.com), who provided us with such a professional, creative and commonsense service. We’d certainly recommend his company to anyone in the voluntary and community sectors.

And don’t forget ... the final countdown is now on to the MHFI “Get Up. Get Out. Get Going!” Challenge event (www.mhfi.org/ardgillan.htm) in Ardgillan Castle, near Skerries in Co. Dublin, on Saturday 4th September 2010. This fun day out will involve 10km, 5km and 3km runs, as well as health checks, health information, beautiful parkland, walks, gardens, opportunities for a picnic ... I hope you can join us.

All the best,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    The Men's Health Forum in Ireland
    Email: colin@mhfi.org
    Web: www.mhfi.org

"E-Male Matters" Sept 2010 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the September issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale9.doc

Here is the list of contents for the September edition - there is quite a range this month:
    NEWS
    Men asked to ‘Run for your Life!’
    “Cumulo Nimbus” Fathers’ Storybook
    Parents’ Week 2010
    Resources Required for New Website
    Be Inspired by London 2012!
    Some Men Abuse. All Men Can Help
    Free Online Weight Loss Resource for Men

TRAINING
    Suicidology Courses
    Men show Interest in Getting Fit

RESEARCH
    It’s a Man’s World or is it?
    Keep up-to-date with “ARK E-type”

EVENTS
    Suicide Prevention - What Works?
    Fathers’ Work Presentation Morning
    Launch of the First Amen Annual Report
    Community-Based Men's Learning
    Out of the Darkness and into the Dawn
    Review of NOSWWP
    Have your say about Public Spending Cuts
    “Know Your Numbers” Health Day
    Parenting Forum NI Conference

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

"E-Male Matters" Oct 2010 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the October issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale10.doc

Here is the list of contents for the October edition:
    NEWS
    Ideas Needed for New Men’s Health Website
    Give the Gift of Life
    Are your Fathers involved in Parents’ Week?
    Call for Case Studies on Physical Activity
    ARK Policy Unit

TRAINING
    Sexual Health Training
    Suicidology Courses
    Get (fairly) Fit in 12 Weeks!

RESEARCH
    Employment Inequalities during Recession
    Kids’ Life and Times: Primary 7 Boys

EVENTS
    Behind and Beyond Bars: Public Lecture
    Men's Learning and Well-Being Seminar
    Parenting Conference
    Get Up and Go: ARK Seminars Announced
    Inequalities in Health: Time for Action
    Men in Transition Conference
    Prostate Cancer - It’s Time to Talk Out Loud
    Men’s Issues in the Border Counties

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

"E-Male Matters" Nov 2010 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the November issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale11.doc

Here is the list of contents for the November edition:
    NEWS
    Tell the Government What Men Need!
    It’s Movember Again
    Seminars - at a Time to Suit You
    Evening Men’s Health Clinic

TRAINING
    Sexual Health Training
    Get Up, Get Out, Get Active Programme
    Free Beginners’ Yoga Classes

RESEARCH
    Male Victims of Domestic Abuse Report

EVENTS
    What Works in Suicide Prevention?
    Prostate Cancer - It’s Time to Talk Out Loud
    Poverty and Social Exclusion in RoI
    Supporting Young Parents and Families
    Celebration of Life Event

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

"E-Male Matters" Dec 2010 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the November issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale12.doc

Here is the list of contents for the December edition:
    NEWS
    Men’s Health Week 2011
    What do Men Need?
    New Healthy Food for All Guide
    Colin Men’s Group

TRAINING
    Sexual Health Training

RESEARCH
    Study into Sexual Health and Well-Being

EVENTS
    Men’s Policy Forum within NICVA
    Supporting Young Fathers
    Cross-Border Mental Health Seminar
    The Irish Men’s Sheds Forum

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

• Advertisement

(I have no connection with this group nor is it part of any job title I have)

Season’s Greetings from MHFI!!!

www.mhfi.org

The Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) is delighted to let you know that this has been another highly successful year for raising awareness of the health and well-being needs of men and boys across the island of Ireland. Thank you for your interest in this work.

We would like to draw your attention to two important developments …

1. Next year, Men’s Health Week will run from Monday 13th to Sunday 19th June 2011. The theme will focus upon “promoting health and well-being during difficult times” - so get these dates into your diary, and start thinking about the ways that you could engage men and boys in this area. More details will follow in the New Year. You can also view an evaluation of the 2010 programme online (as a PDF file).

2. The Men's Health Forum in Ireland is, currently, seeking applications for the role of Executive Officer (initially for one year), and is also inviting suitably experienced researchers to tender for a piece of work which will involve an evaluation of Men's Health Week 2011. The closing date for the Executive Officer position is Monday 20th December 2010, while the closing date for the evaluator role is Monday 31st January 2011.

We hope that you have a great break over the Christmas period!!!

The Men’s Health Forum in Ireland Board of Trustees

"E-Male Matters" Jan 2011 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the January issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale13.doc

Here is the list of contents for the January edition:
    NEWS
    Promoting Men’s Health in Difficult Times
    Ask about your Prostate
    Are You Having Child Maintenance Issues?
    Salt and Men's Health

TRAINING
    Kick Start 2011
    Sexual Health Update Day
    Raising Boys for Fathers

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Men’s Policy Forum Meeting
    Launch of Down District Men's Forum
    New Date for Men’s Sheds Forum Meeting

RESEARCH
    Sexual Responsibility and Fatherhood
    External Evaluator Required for MHW 2011
    Study into Sexual Health and Well-Being
    Attitudes to Age and Ageing in Ireland

NEXT EDITION

Seeing as I send out the other MHFI stuff, I thought I'd be thorough and send this out also. Perhaps more of interest to people in NI:
    Dear Colleague,

One of the biggest difficulties facing men’s work is the lack of good quality research, evidence and data. Nevertheless, in times of financial cutbacks, providing solid evidence of need is even more crucial.

The Man Matters http://www.manmatters.org/ project has teamed up with ARK http://www.ark.ac.uk/ to help to address the gaps identified, and a free workshop (supported by the Big Lottery Fund http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/) has been planned for Tuesday 15th February 2011, 10.00am - 1.00pm, in Belfast. This will focus upon: "Accessing and Collecting Data: How and Why", and will identify a range of online data sources relevant to work with men as well as focus upon the advantages and disadvantages of different methods of collecting data. The seminar will be practically orientated, and no previous knowledge of research methods is required.

To book a place, ring Michael Glover on 02890 329718*, or email michael.glover@wea-ni.com with your contact details, putting ‘Research Workshop’ in the subject line. Alternatively, visit www.mhfi.org/researchseminar2011.pdf for more details on this event.

Due to the nature of this workshop, places are very limited. Therefore, early booking is advised.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    That's 04890 329718 from the Rep. of Ireland.

"E-Male Matters" Feb 2011 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the February issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale14.doc

Here is the list of contents for the February edition:
    NEWS
    Let’s Talk about Men’s Health
    Additional Paternity Leave and Pay
    Child Maintenance Choices
    New Policy Briefing Papers Available

RESEARCH
    Men, do you want to have your Say?

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

TRAINING
    First Aid for Mental Health
    Sexual Orientation Awareness
    Supporting Work with Fathers
    Volunteers required for Money Active Project
    ICS Community Health Education Programme

NEXT EDITION

No news in this but thought I'd post it anyway on the off-chance somebody had something. People may find information of news in other newsletters highlighted above.
    Dear Colleague,

We will soon be collating the March edition of our “E-Male Matters” newsletter, and would like to remind you that we welcome articles. The submission deadline for the March 2011 publication is Thursday 24th February 2011.

Please let us know about anything (research, events, resources, training, news etc.) affecting men and boys which should be included. There is a simple template for all articles. Tell us (within 150 words) all the crucial details e.g. title, date, time, venue, short description, contact details for further information (name, telephone and/or email address), and web link (if available) for a fuller explanation. To keep the file size of this electronic newsletter small, we cannot, unfortunately, accept photographs or images.

Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin
    [on behalf of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland]

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

"E-Male Matters" March 2011 edition now out

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the March issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale15.doc

Here is the list of contents for the March edition:
    NEWS
    ManAlive Health Project Launched
    HandyMen (NI) Ltd
    ‘Get Men Talking’ Men’s Health Month
    Young Men Beat a Different Drum
    Changes to Fathers’ Paternity Rights
    Active People - Reducing the Risk of Cancer
    Guide to Mental Health and Debt
    Craigavon Young Men’s Group

TRAINING
    Man Matters Community Tutor Training
    ICS Community Health Education Programme
    Go Ask Your Da
    An Introduction to Suicide Research

EVENTS
    Men’s Health Week Approaching
    Men’s Health Evening in Belmullet
    Fir Le Chéile / Men Together

RESEARCH
    ARK in Schools
    Issues for Fathers after the Birth of a Baby

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION
    Submit an Article for the Next Issue

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the April issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale16.doc

Here is the list of contents for the April edition:
    NEWS
    The Lazy Person’s Guide to MHW 2011
    Podge & Rodge in ‘My Brother’s Bowels’
    Building the Community Pharmacy Partnership

EVENTS
    Men’s Sheds Meetings in Donegal
    Bealtaine Festival for Older People
    The Pink Brain
    Conference on Gender and Child Welfare

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

TRAINING
    Courses in Suicidology
    New Warrior Training Adventure Weekend
    Flat Pack Guide for Fathers Course

RESEARCH
    A Call to Action
    Speak out for Change
    Monitoring Sexual Orientation
    Women and Men in Ireland 2010

NEXT EDITION

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the May issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale17.doc

Here is the list of contents for the May edition:
    NEWS
    The Final Countdown to MHW has begun
    Men’s Health Week Logo and Image Pack
    ‘It’s No Joke’ - Poster for MHW 2011
    Lonely Facebook Page Seeks Fans!
    What can you do to mark Men’s Health Week?
    Tell others about your MHW 2011 Event
    Manifesto Challenge to Political Parties
    Ger’s Weight Loss Journey

EVENTS
    Childcare and Family Support Hustings Event
    Weigh to Men’s Health

TRAINING
    Fathers and Sons - Staying Connected
    Working with Young Fathers Training Course
    Free Money Management Sessions

RESEARCH
    Young Life and Times Survey Results 2010
    Get Active - Stay Active
    ‘Action Man’ Survey

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

Usually the Men's Health Forum in Ireland info I get sent could be of interest to anyone.

However, a quick look at this suggests it is only for people running groups and the like. Anyway, they ask for it to be forwarded so I thought I would and perhaps they will get somebody out of it being posted here, or somebody here may be able to forward it on to appropriate individuals.

There is a lot of more general stuff on their site as I say:
    Young Men and Suicide Research - Your Help is Needed

Dear Colleague,

The Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) is, currently, undertaking research into the high rate of suicide among boys and young men on the island of Ireland. The research is being jointly funded by the Public Health Agency and the National Office for Suicide Prevention. The purpose of the research is to develop and share best practice on how to promote positive models of mental health and to prevent suicide in this target group.

MHFI is asking for your help with this initiative, and invites you to take part in a short (5-10 minute) online survey. For more details, please visit: www.mhfi.org/help-needed-with-young-men-and-suicide-research.html

We hope that you might be willing and able to participate in this study, and would appreciate it if you would forward this email to anyone else who you think would be interested.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/MensHealthWeek

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the June issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale18.doc

Here is the list of contents for the June edition:

----
    Accompanying message:
    Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Microsoft Word version of the June 2011 edition of “E-Male Matters” - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland. We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. This is a special Men’s Health Week 2011 edition. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Can we particularly draw your attention to a few things ...

 Men’s Health Week (MHW) 2011 begins on Monday 13th June.
     You are invited to enter a free competition to come up with a caption for a special version of the MHW poster. See: www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2011.html#Competition
     Posters to promote Men’s Health Week 2011 are still available (see www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2011.html#Poster)
     There’s a logo and image pack available for MHW (see www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-image-pack.html)
     A Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MensHealthWeek) and Twitter page (www.twitter.com/MensHealthIRL) has been created to keep people up-to-date with developments.
     You can find a raft of practical suggestions on how to do something to celebrate this week at: www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2011.html#Mark
     Everyone is invited to submit details of their Men’s Health Week events for publication on the MHFI Forum website (see www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2011.html#Events)
     You can see details of some of the things which are taking place at: www.mhfi.org/mhw2011events.pdf

Can I also point out that we, in the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland, are still looking for people to help with our research into young men and suicide. To participate in this short survey, please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/suicidepreventioninyoungmensini

The next edition of E-Male Matters will be circulated at the beginning of August 2011 (there won’t be a July edition). As always, we welcome articles for future editions of this newsletter. Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org If you have any urgent news that you would like us to publicise before the next mailout, please email it to this address and we will put it onto our website News Page.

Best wishes,

Colin

• Advertisement

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the June issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale19.doc

NEWS
    September is Men’s Heart Health Month
    MHW 2011 Poster Competition Results
    Your Prostate Website
    Improving Men’s Health in Northern Ireland
    Resources for Traveller Men’s Health

EVENTS
    Young Men and Suicide Stakeholder Meetings
    Working with Fathers Presentation Morning
    Men - Neither Here Nor There

TRAINING
    Are you a Bowel Cancer Survivor?
    Volunteering with MoneyActive Project

RESEARCH
    Tackling the Root Causes of Men’s [Ill] Health
    Lifestyle Interventions for Obese Men
    Impact of Recession on Men's Health
    The State of Men's Health in Europe
    Men as Carers
    Gender Equality Strategy Statistical Indicators
    Male Victims of Domestic Violence in Ireland

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the September issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale20.doc .

Here is the list of contents for the September edition:
    NEWS
    Young Men and Suicide Stakeholder Meetings
    Who’s Who in the Northern Ireland Assembly
    September - Men’s Heart Health Month
    Autism Factsheet for Fathers

EVENTS
    Men - Neither Here Nor There
    Kick Start Fathers Work Presentation Morning
    Carlow Men’s Health Project
    SHSCT Invite You to Have Your Say
    17th Annual Regional Sexual Health Conference

TRAINING
    Parents Helpline Needs Male Volunteers
    Suicidology Courses at Queen’s University Belfast

RESEARCH
    Festival of Social Science Research Seminars

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

----
    Accompanying message:
    Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Microsoft Word version of the September 2011 edition of “E-Male Matters” - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

On behalf of MHFI, can I please draw your attention to one of this month’s articles? ... You are invited to participate in one of two Stakeholder Days looking at ‘Young Men and Suicide’. These will take place on Wednesday 14th September 2011 (Belfast, 11.00am - 1.30pm) and Thursday 15th September 2011 (Dublin, 11.00am - 1.30pm). However, given the nature of these discussions, places are very limited.

As always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the October 2011 publication is Monday 26th September 2011. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the October issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale21.pdf .

NEWS
    Men and Reproduction - Call for Abstracts
    Disrupting Alzheimer‟s Project

EVENTS
    Launch of „Providing Meaningful Care‟ Report
    Giving Boys the Best Possible Start in Life
    17th Annual Regional Sexual Health Conference
    Safefood Events

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

TRAINING
    Suicidology Courses at Queen‟s University Belfast
    Male Volunteers Needed for Parenting NI Helpline
    Free Money Management Training
    Self Harm and Alcohol - Keeping them Safe

RESEARCH
    „State of Men‟s Health in Europe‟ Report
    ‟Research on the Road‟ Training Seminars

NEXT EDITION

"E-Male Matters" Nov 2011 edition now out

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale22.pdf

Quick links to articles in this edition …

NEWS
    ‟Movember‟ has Arrived!
    New Website on Male Breast Cancer
    Dublin AIDS Alliance asks for your Support
    ISA Call: Men and Reproduction
    Trail Walking and Cycling for Health

EVENTS

International Men‟s Day
    Launch of Young Men and Suicide Report

TRAINING
    MoneyActive Training

RESEARCH
    EMHF calls for Action on Men‟s Health in Europe

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the December issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale23.pdf .

Here's the covering note:
    Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the December 2011 edition of “E-Male Matters” - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Due to the holidays, there will not be a January 2012 edition of the newsletter. However, as always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the February 2012 publication is Friday 27th January 2012. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

On behalf of everyone in MHFI, can I wish you a ‘Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year’!

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

NEWS
    Men‟s Health Week 2012
    Booklet on Steps to Deal with Stress
    New Parent Advisory Groups for NI

EVENTS
    Impact of Recession on Men's Health
    ISA Call: Men and Reproduction

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

RESEARCH
    Evidence-Based Strategies for Male Obesity
    NI Sport and Physical Activity Survey
    Health Survey Northern Ireland 2010 / 2011
    Dementia: Public Knowledge and Attitudes
    Call for Action on Men‟s Health in Europe

NEXT EDITION

Just got this in an E-mail. A lot of their messages cover events in the Rep. of Ireland but in this case they're both events in NI
    Dear Colleague,

As there was no edition of our E-Male Matters newsletter in January 2012, I am writing to let you know about a few forthcoming men’s health events which may be of interest to you. These are ...

 Putting Men’s Health onto the Agenda - a workshop which will be held in Lurgan on Friday 27th January 2012. This will: highlight key facts and statistics on men’s health; explore ‘what works’ with men by showcasing examples of practice; discuss partnership approaches to men’s health. This free event will be led by Dr Ian Banks - GP, best selling author on men’s health issues, spokesperson on men’s health for the British Medical Association NI, and President of the European Men’s Health Forum. For more details and a booking form see: www.mhfi.org/putting-mens-health-onto-the-agenda.html

 The Impact of Recession on Men’s Health - ARK (www.ark.ac.uk) and Man Matters invite you to a seminar on ‘Facing the Challenge: The Impact of the Recession and Unemployment on Men's Health in Ireland’. At this event, Owen Metcalfe (Director of the Institute of Public Health in Ireland) will highlight some of the findings from recent research commissioned by his organisation. This study explored the adverse effects of the economic recession - and the accompanying rise in unemployment - on men’s mental health. The seminar will take place on Tuesday 14th February 2012, from Noon - 1.00pm, in NICVA, 61 Duncairn Gardens, Belfast BT15 2GB. It will be followed by lunch. The seminar is free, but participants need to book a place by Email: info@ark.ac.uk or Tel: 028 71675513.

Please keep an eye to our website’s News Page (www.mhfi.org/news) for all the latest developments. If you would like to submit an article for the February 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’, please note that the deadline is Friday 27th January.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the February issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale24.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the February 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I also draw your attention to one of the events featured in this month’s edition ...

The Impact of Recession and Unemployment on Men’s Health in Ireland - ARK (www.ark.ac.uk) and Man Matters invite you to a seminar on “Facing the Challenge: The Impact of the Recession and Unemployment on Men's Health in Ireland”. At this event, Owen Metcalfe (Director of the Institute of Public Health in Ireland) will highlight some of the findings from recent research commissioned by his organisation. This study explored the adverse effects of the economic recession - and the accompanying rise in unemployment - on men’s mental health. The seminar will take place on Tuesday 14th February 2012, from Noon - 1.00pm, in NICVA, 61 Duncairn Gardens, Belfast BT15 2GB. It will be followed by lunch. The seminar is free, but participants need to book a place in advance by Email: info@ark.ac.uk or Tel: 028 71675513.

As always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the March 2012 publication is Monday 27th February 2012. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

NEWS

June 2012 - A Date for Your Diary
    The Disrupting Alzheimers Project
    Recruitment for New Parent Advisory Groups

EVENTS
    Impact of Recession on Men's Health Seminar
    Sexual Health Update for Community Workers

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

RESEARCH
    Providing Meaningful Care Report Launched
    WHO: Economic Crises and Mental Health
    Adult Drinking Patterns in Northern Ireland
    Evidence-Based Strategies for Male Obesity
    Engaging Dads in Health Services
    Food on a Low Income

NEXT EDITION

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the March issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale25.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the March 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I draw your attention to a few of the events featured in this month’s edition ...

Conference on Ethnographic Approaches to Suicide in Ireland: This free conference will take place on Friday 16th March 2012, from 1.00pm - 5.00pm, and will be held in the Renehan Hall, South Campus, National University of Ireland Maynooth. To register for a place, email: etsu.2012@nuim.ie or visit http://anthropology.nuim.ie for more details.

Men’s Shed Seminar: This free event will take place on Tuesday 13th March 2012, from 10.30am - 2.00pm, in Cliftonville Community Centre, Belfast. To book a place visit www.wea-ni.com/seminar or phone Michael Glover at Tel: 02890 329718.

As always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the April 2012 publication is Tuesday 27th March 2012. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

NEWS
    Men‟s Health Week 2012
    Photos of Real Men Needed
    Participants Wanted for „My Naked Secret‟

EVENTS
    Ethnographic Approaches to Suicide in Ireland
    Men‟s Shed Event
    Physical Activity and Older Adults
    Give it a Go!

RESEARCH
    Online Research Bank (ORB)

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the April issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale26.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the April 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I please draw your attention to a few of the events featured in this month’s edition ...

Framework for Men’s Health Training: A free training day being organised by the Southern Health and Social Care Trust Men’s Health Network and the Man Matters Project on Tuesday 29th May 2012, from 9.30am - 4.30pm, in Lurgan, Co. Armagh. The aim of this workshop is to increase participants’ understanding of best practice in engaging men with health and social services. To book a place, contact Michael Glover on Tel: 02890 329718 or book online at: www.wea-ni.com/seminar

Male Helpline Volunteers Needed: Parenting NI is trying to encourage more men to consider volunteering for their Helpline for parents. An information session will be held on Thursday 19th April 2012, from 11.00am to Noon, for those who wish to find out more about the volunteering experience. For further details, contact Andrea at Tel: 02890 310969, Email: volunteer@parentingni.org or visit: www.parentingni.org/helpline

Men’s Mental Health Workshop: Mental Health Ireland is offering an interactive workshop on Men’s Mental Health. This will be held on Tuesday 4th September 2012, from 10.00am - 4.00pm, in The Clarion Hotel Dublin Liffey Valley, Dublin 22. This event will explore: men’s mental health awareness; attitudes to mental health; the interaction between mental and physical health; setting a personal development programme; how men manage stress. For more information, Email: training@mentalhealthireland.ie or Tel: 01 2841166.

As always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the May 2012 publication is Friday 27th April 2012. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler

NEWS
    First Instinct - What‟s Yours?
    Guide to Free HIV, STI and Hepatitis Testing
    The Bealtaine Festival
    Get Tested, Get Treated

EVENTS
    Irish Men‟s Group Meetings
    Workshop on Community Food Initiatives
    Annual Gay Health Forum

TRAINING
    Framework for Men‟s Health Training
    Parenting NI Seek Male Helpline Volunteers
    Mental Health Ireland Training Prospectus

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

• Advertisement

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the May issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale27.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the May 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I please draw your attention to a few of the items featured in this month’s edition ...

Publicise your Men’s Health Week Event: This year, the Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) will have a special section on its website to promote the details of activities or events that are being held throughout Ireland during Men’s Health Week 2012. This will help everyone to find out what is happening during the week, where it will take place, and how to join in. If you would like to have the details of your event included on this website, please complete and submit the form at: www.mhfi.org/how-to-promote-your-mens-health-week-event.html

Website Design Workshops for Men’s Work: Man Matters invites you to join one of their free workshops which will teach you how to design and create a website for your men’s group / project / shed. Each workshop will be held in Belfast, and lasts for two full days (10.00am - 4.00pm). The first workshop will be held on Friday 18th and Friday 25th May 2012, and the second will take place on Friday 15th and Friday 22nd June 2012. For more information, contact Michael Glover on Tel: 028 9032 9718 or book online at: www.wea-ni.com/seminar

Sexual Health Awareness Week: The Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (RCPI) is hosting events for National Sexual Health Awareness Week which draw attention to a broad range of issues. These activities will take place in the RCPI premises at 6 Kildare Street, Dublin 2. All events are free of charge, and open to both health professionals and members of the public. For further information on what’s taking place, see www.mhfi.org/shaw2012.pdf To book a place, Email: college@rcpi.ie or Tel: 01 863 9700.

Young Life and Times Survey - Preview of Survey Results: You are invited to the preview of the 2011 Young Life and Times (YLT) survey results. This will take place on Tuesday 15th May 2012, from 12.30pm - 2.15pm, Queen’s University Belfast. The YLT survey is an annual initiative that records the views of 16 year olds living in Northern Ireland about the issues that directly concern them. The main topics included in the 2011 survey were: community relations; attitudes to / experiences of contact with minority ethnic groups; mental health and loneliness; sexual attitudes and experiences. The 2011 YLT dataset and key tables of results will be made publicly available at www.ark.ac.uk/ylt on 16th May 2012. If you would like to book a free place, Email: info@ark.ac.uk or Tel: 028 7167 5513.

As always, we welcome male-focused articles for future editions of this newsletter, and the submission deadline for the June 2012 publication is Monday 28th May 2012. Details about the format of articles can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please email your information to: emalematters@mhfi.org

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations
    Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI)
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/MensHealthForumIreland
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/MensHealthIRL

NEWS
    Final Countdown to Men‟s Health Week
    Poster for Men‟s Health Week 2012
    Publicise your Men‟s Health Week Event
    What you can do to mark MHW 2012
    Lonely Facebook / Twitter Pages Seek Fans
    Dads‟ Survival Guide

EVENTS
    Sexual Health Awareness Week
    Dying Matters in North Belfast
    Annual Gay Health Forum
    Man Alive Conference

TRAINING
    Framework for Men‟s Health Training
    Mental Health Ireland Training Prospectus
    Website Design Workshops for Men‟s Work

RESEARCH
    Young Life and Times Survey: Preview
    Briefing on Traveller Mental Health

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale28.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the June 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html Please note that there won’t be a July edition, and the deadline for submission of articles for the August newsletter will be Friday 27th July 2012.

As you are aware, it will soon be time for Men’s Health Week (MHW) - Monday 11th to Sunday 17th June 2012 - and, in this edition, MHW features strongly. Can I draw your attention to some of the information and resources which are available to support this week, as well as ideas for simple and easy ways for you to be involved ...

Everything you need to know about Men’s Health Week 2012 is now located in one place at: www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2012.html

• If you want to access a briefing paper which answers all the most common questions about MHW, please visit: www.mhfi.org/mhw2012briefing.pdf

• For practical suggestions on how you or your organisation can get involved in MHW, have a look at: www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2012.html#Mark

The MHW 2012 posters are available in both hard copy and as electronic files - see www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-image-pack.html#Poster2012 for details of how to access each format. There are several versions of the electronic files. Some of these allow the user to type or write the details of their own local event onto the poster.

• A range of MHW 2012 logos and banners are also online at: www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-image-pack.html#Slogan2012

• We are, currently, collating details of events and activities that will be taking place throughout the island of Ireland to mark MHW 2012. Please visit www.mhfi.org/mens-health-week-2012.html#Events to find out how to publicise your event.

• A list of up-and-coming events can be found online at: www.mhfi.org/mhw2012events.pdf

• Keep up with the latest MHW 2012 developments on both Facebook (www.facebook.com/MensHealthForumIreland) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/MensHealthIRL).

We hope that these materials are useful to you, and look forward to the biggest and best Men’s Health Week yet.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

MEN’S HEALTH WEEK NEWS
    Only a Few Days until Men‟s Health Week
    Put up a Poster for Men‟s Health Week
    Publicise your Men‟s Health Week Event
    Free and Easy Ways to Mark MHW 2012
    Join in a Men‟s Health Week 2012 Event
    Keep up-to-date via Facebook / Twitter

TRAINING
    Challenges of Engaging with Young Men
    Masters/Diploma in Social Research Methods
    Website Design Workshop for Men‟s Work
    A Quest for the Inner Man and Woman

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Putting Men‟s Health onto the Agenda
    Men‟s Health Fair
    Belfast City Hall Men‟s Health Event
    Get Men Talking - Cancer Awareness Day
    Man Alive Conference
    Claremorris Men‟s Health and Fitness Day
    Just Carry One
    Young Men Talking
    25 Years of IVF Treatment at the RFC

RESEARCH
    Sexual Health of Young People
    Briefing on Traveller Mental Health

NEXT EDITION
    June 2012
    The newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland

Latest update
    Dear Colleague,

I hope that you had a good Men’s Health Week 2012 and that you are looking forward to a break over the Summer!

As there is no ‘E-Male Matters’ newsletter during July, can I draw your attention to two important pieces of training that you might be interested in ...

Men’s Health Training for Trainers
    Is engaging men or delivering training part of your work or volunteering activity? ... Then this training could be for you! A Men’s Health Training programme has been developed to meet the growing demand from service providers for support to work with men. This programme is founded on national and international best practice, and is setting the ‘Quality Mark’ in men’s health training in Ireland. Qualified trainers are required to deliver this training throughout the whole island. You are invited to become a ‘Men’s Health Trainer’ and to participate in the upcoming Trainers’ Programme. This will take place on the 11th and 12th September and 16th and 17th October 2012 (overnight stay each time) in Teach Bhride, Tullow, Co Carlow. The closing date for applications is Friday 20th July 2012. For more information and a registration form, visit: www.mhfi.org/menshealthtraining2012.pdf

Men’s Health: The Engagement Jigsaw
    For many of us, the million dollar question is: Do males really not want to be involved in health programmes and services, or are we just not offering them the right things in the right way? Research into men's attitudes indicates that they do recognise that they have health needs; that their lives would be better if they looked after themselves more; that they would welcome an expanded range of dedicated services ... Yet, the perennial difficulty comes when trying to translate this aspiration into action. You are invited to attend a workshop titled: 'Men's Health: The Engagement Jigsaw’. This event - led by Colin Fowler, Director of Operations, Men's Health Forum in Ireland - will focus upon some of the key principles and actions that practitioners in the men’s work field have said have had positive outcomes for them when trying to get men on board. This free training will take place on Friday 7th September 2012, from 9.00am - 2.00pm, in Ballybot House, Newry. For more details see: www.mhfi.org/jigsaw2012.pdf

The next edition of E-Male Matters will be circulated in early August. If you’d like to submit an article, please send it to emalematters@mhfi.org before Friday 27th July 2012.

All the best,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the August issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale29.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the August 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html The deadline for submission of articles for the September newsletter will be Monday 27th August 2012.

In this month’s edition, you will notice that the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland has become a partner in the ‘See Change’ initiative. See Change is an alliance of organisations who are working together through the National Stigma Reduction Partnership to bring about positive change in public attitudes and behaviour towards people with mental health difficulties in Ireland. There are, currently, over fifty partner organisations who have committed to creating a community-driven social movement to reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with mental health problems. If you’d like to see change, then why not get involved? Check out www.seechange.ie for ideas on how to do this.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    A Big „Thank You‟ for Men‟s Health Week
    Would you like to See Change?
    Are you up for a ParkRun?
    Parenting Forum Strategic Advisory Group
    Fertility Information Day
    New Men Utd Programme now Available
    Just Carry One: Social Media Campaign
    Mayo Men on the Move

EVENTS
    Crusaders Legends v Cliftonville Legends
    Institute of Public Health‟s Open Conference
    Dying 15 Years Early - Traveller Men

TRAINING
    Men‟s Health: The Engagement Jigsaw
    Masters/Diploma in Social Research Methods

RESEARCH
    Suicide Rate and The Troubles
    „The Obesity Games‟ Report
    Impact of Mental Illness on Lifespan

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the September issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale30.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the September 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the October newsletter will be Thursday 27th September 2012.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Support for Rural Mental Health Projects
    Young Men and Unintended Pregnancy
    Make a Difference - Become a FMNI Trustee
    Fertility Information Day
    Irish Heart Month 2012

RESEARCH
    Health Expectancies: 2008 - 2010

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Dying 15 Years Early - Traveller Men
    Pride in Newry Festival and Parade
    Achieving a sustainable Men‟s Health Clinic
    Young People‟s Sexual Health
    How Vulnerability Impacts on Sexual Health
    Healthcare Professionals and Obesity

NEXT EDITION

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the October issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale30.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the October 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the November newsletter will be Monday 29th October 2012.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    World Mental Health Day
    Save Our Sons And Daughters
    International Men‟s Day
    Salubria - The Health Game
    Launch of Helplink Support Services
    Fit and Well - Changing Lives

RESEARCH
    Why 3,000 Middle-Aged Men Die by Suicide
    Traveller Men - Dying 15 Years Early
    New NINIS Website
    Online Research Bank (ORB)

EVENTS
    „Know Your Numbers‟ Health Day
    Achieving a sustainable Men‟s Health Clinic
    Community Resilience: My Mind Matters
    Young People‟s Sexual Health
    „Be the Change‟ Conference

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

• Advertisement

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the November issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale31.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the November 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the December newsletter will be Wednesday 28th November 2012.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Work Out Website for Young Men Launched
    Movember is Here!
    Keep up-to-date with Man Matters
    International Men‟s Day
    Free Online Counselling Sessions for Men

TRAINING
    Understanding Constitutions Workshop

RESEARCH
    Fatherhood in the 21st Century

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Men‟s Health Event in North Belfast
    Wise Men‟s Health Clinic
    Rejuvenate Project: Men‟s Sheds Meetings
    „Be the Change‟ Conference
    Box of Frogs: A Revue of the Mind

NEXT EDITION

Oops, I got the number wrong for the October issue and this then also caused an error for the November issue. It won't let me edit the messages now so here are the correct URLs:
    October issue: http://www.mhfi.org/emale31.pdf
    November issue: http://www.mhfi.org/emale32.pdf

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the December issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale33.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the December 2012 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

Given the Christmas holidays, there will not be a January edition of this newsletter. The deadline for submission of articles for the February newsletter will be Monday 28th January 2013.

‘Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!’
    - from everyone in the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Men‟s Health Week 2013: Date for your Diary
    Updated „Dying Fifteen Years Early‟ Report
    Work Out for Young Men
    Resources to Reduce Men‟s Risk of Cancer
    Man Matters Online

TRAINING
    Employability and Personal Development Training

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Launch of Young Men and Suicide Report

RESEARCH
    „Taking Boys Seriously‟
    Registrar General Annual Report
    The Economic Cost of Obesity

NEXT EDITION

February 2013 issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters now out

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale34.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the February 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

May I also remind you that copies of the all-Ireland ‘Young Men and Suicide Project’ report can be downloaded at: www.mhfi.org/young-men-and-suicide-report-launched.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the March newsletter will be Monday 25th February 2013 .

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Young Men and Suicide Report Launched
    June 2013 - A Date for Your Diary
    Fundraising Tips
    Fathers Support Worker Sought
    Campaign to Tackle Obesity

EVENTS
    Men‟s Health Networking Event

RESEARCH
    Social Care for Older People
    „Taking Boys Seriously‟
    Key Census Statistics

TRAINING
    Engage: Men‟s Health Training
    Money for Life Programme
    Bowel Cancer UK - Volunteers Wanted
    Pathways to Health Level 3
    The Mojo Project

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

You just don't give up, do you? :D

• Advertisement

You just don't give up, do you? :D
    It's just a copy-and-paste job, so not too demanding. I've now started copying my text bit from 12 months before so I don't even need to change the month bit.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale35.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the March 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the April newsletter will be Wednesday 27th March 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS

Men’s Health Week 2013
    Try To See It My Way
    Fathers Support Worker Sought
    Red Nose Day Community Cash Grants
    Counselling Service for Men

TRAINING

Pathways to Health Training
    Men’s HUB
    Taking Control Training for Trainers

RESEARCH

Men on the Move Activity Programme

NEXT EDITION

EVENTS
    ‘Taking Boys Seriously’ Presentation
    Get Men Talking
    Men’s Health Networking Event
    What Can Men Do?
    Mengathering 2013
    Killycarney Men’s Gardening Group
    East Belfast Men’s Health MOT Clinic
    Programme for Older Men in Cavan
    HIV / STI Update for Youth & Community Workers

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale36.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the April 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I draw your attention to one of the articles in this month’s edition? ... The Man Matters project (which MHFI is a partner in) will be running a series of workshops for anyone who wishes to learn how to design and set-up an easy to maintain website to promote their work with men / signpost men to their services. This training is free of charge, but places are extremely limited – so, you’ll need to book quickly!

The deadline for submission of articles for the May edition of our E-Male Matters newsletter will be Thursday 25th April 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Are you ready for this?
    Working with Young Men Job Opportunity
    Advice and Support for Fathers
    Health in Mind: The ONE Book
    Free Counselling Sessions for Men

TRAINING
    Jest for the Health of It
    Website Design Workshop
    Pathways to Health Training
    Taking Control Training for Trainers

NEXT EDITION

EVENTS
    Violence Against Women - What Can Men Do?
    Launch of Community Food Initiative
    Seminar on Adolescent Male School-Life
    A Perfect Vision for Mental Health 20/20
    What Determines the Food Choices we Make?

RESEARCH
    Men on the Move Activity Programme

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

Just got this:
    Dear Colleague,

I am writing to give you an important date for your diary. This relates to a forthcoming conference which is being organised by the Health Service Executive (HSE) in partnership with the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). It is titled ‘From Policy to Practice: Profiling the Impact of Ireland’s National Men’s Health Policy’, and it will take place on Thursday 13th June 2013 in Dr Steevens' Hospital, Dublin.

The aim of this conference is to profile the key outputs in the area of men’s health in Ireland that have been delivered since the publication of the Men’s Health Policy and 5-year Action Plan, and to set priorities for core policy areas in men’s health in the future.

We are also issuing a call to researchers, service providers, practitioners, trainers, those who work with men’s groups ... to submit abstracts for a Poster Presentation on their work with men. I have attached a document which outlines what this entails.

Please share this information with your colleagues. Further details on the conference will be available in the near future.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale37.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the May 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I please draw your attention to one of the articles in this month’s edition? ... To celebrate Men’s Health Week 2013, the Health Service Executive and Men's Health Forum in Ireland invite you to ‘From Policy to Practice: Profiling the Impact of Ireland’s National Men’s Health Policy’.This event will take place on Thursday 13th June 2013, in Dr Steevens' Hospital, Dublin 8. The aim of this free event is to profile the key outputs in the area of men’s health in Ireland that have been delivered since the publication of the Men’s Health Policy and Five Year Action Plan in 2009, and to set priorities for key policy areas in men’s health in the future. For more detail on the programme and the application process, see: www.mhfi.org/dublin2013invitation.pdf However, please note that places at this event are extremely limited.

The deadline for submission of articles for the June edition of E-Male Matters newsletter will be Wednesday 29th May 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Final Countdown to Men’s Health Week 2013
    Men’s Health Week 2013 Poster Available
    Publicise your Men’s Health Week Event
    What can I do to mark Men’s Health Week 2013?
    Facebook and Twitter Pages Seek Fans!
    Free Counselling Sessions for Men
    Victim Support NI Spin into Action
    Active Lives after Cancer
    The SpermCometTM Test

TRAINING
    Top Tips for Looking after Yourself
    Mental Health and Preventing Depression

NEXT EDITION

EVENTS
    Impact of Ireland’s National Men’s Health Policy
    Green Ribbon Campaign
    ManAlive Conference 2013
    Real Health Advice for Real Men
    A Perfect Vision for Mental Health 20/20
    Action Cancer - Action Man

RESEARCH
    Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey
    A Touchy Subject: Men and Eating Disorders
    Suicide Risk for Disadvantaged Men in Mid-Life

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale38.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

Happy Men’s Health Week!!!

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the June 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). This is a special Men’s Health Week edition, and we hope that it will give you all the information that you need about this week, as well as on other men’s work around the island of Ireland. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

Can I please let you know that :there are still a few places available at the joint Health Service Executive and Men's Health Forum in Ireland conference titled: ‘From Policy to Practice: Profiling the Impact of Ireland’s National Men’s Health Policy’. This event will take place on Thursday 13th June 2013, in Dr Steevens' Hospital, Dublin 8. The aim of this free event is to profile the key outputs in the area of men’s health in Ireland that have been delivered since the publication of the Men’s Health Policy and Five Year Action Plan in 2009, and to set priorities for key policy areas in men’s health in the future. For more detail on the programme and the application process, see: www.mhfi.org/dublin2013invitation.pdf The remaining places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis.

Given the holiday period, there will not be a July edition of our newsletter. The deadline for submission of articles for the August edition of E-Male Matters will be Monday 29th July 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

MEN’S HEALTH WEEK 2013 SPECIAL

MEN’S HEALTH WEEK NEWS
    Men’s Health Week 2013 has Begun!
    Put up a Poster for Men’s Health Week 2013
    Publicise your Men’s Health Week Event
    Free and Easy Ways to Mark Men’s Health Week
    Keep up-to-date on Facebook and Twitter
    Join in a Men’s Health Week 2013 Event

TRAINING
    Top Tips for Looking after Yourself
    Mental Health and Preventing Depression

NEXT EDITION

EVENTS
    Impact of Ireland’s National Men’s Health Policy
    Real Health Advice for Real Men
    Action Man Campaign
    Have you got the Balls?
    Childhood Obesity Workshop
    Men Together - Men to the Centre

RESEARCH
    A Touchy Subject: Men and Eating Disorders
    The Experience of Being Gay in Ireland

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

August 2013 issue of the e-newsletter, "e-Male matters" now out

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the August issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale39.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the August 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the September newsletter will be Thursday 29th August 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS

Call for Abstracts: Technology for Well-Being
    Launch of 'Message of Hope' Booklet
    The Fats of Life
    Sharing Parental Rights ‐ Flexibility at Work
    TV Programme on Fathers of the Bride
    Erection: The User’s Guide

TRAINING
    12 Week Men’s Health and Lifestyle Programme
    Train to be a Family Mediator
    Pathways to Health - Level 2 Training

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

EVENTS
    Supporting Health Research and Evaluation
    Networking with Elected Representatives
    Institute of Public Health: Open Conference
    Building the Case for Men’s Health in the West

RESEARCH
    Men’s Higher Risk of Getting / Dying from Cancer
    Fathers Work Survey

NEXT EDITION

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the September issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale40.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the September 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the October newsletter will be Friday 27th September 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations

NEWS
    Irish Heart Month - The Fats of Life
    World Suicide Prevention Day
    Men Against Cancer Clinic
    Run in the Dark for the Mark Pollock Trust

TRAINING
    12 Week Men’s Health and Lifestyle Programme

RESEARCH
    Men and Cancer Factsheets
    Fathers Work Survey

NEXT EDITION

EVENTS
    Down but not out: Youth Depression and Suicide
    Technology for Wellbeing Conference
    PIPS Newry and Mourne 10K Run and 5K Walk
    Open Access Information in Health and Wellbeing
    Sexual Health within the Primary Care Setting
    Healthy Food for All: National Conference 2013

WEB LINKS
    Men's Issues on the Web

Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) have just sent out the October issue of the e-newsletter, e-Male matters.

It can be read for free at: http://www.mhfi.org/emale41.pdf .

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to attach a Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the October 2013 edition of ‘E-Male Matters’ - the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). We hope that you will find something of interest to you in it. You can also access an online copy of this newsletter at: www.mhfi.org/newsletters/about-e-male-matters.html

The deadline for submission of articles for the October newsletter will be Tuesday 29th October 2013.

Best wishes,

Colin

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations
    NEWS

World Mental Health Day 2013
    Men and Cancer Factsheets
    Run in the Dark for the Mark Pollock Trust
    Flourish!
    National Office for Suicide Prevention Report

EVENTS

Irish Men’s Sheds National Conference 2013
    Down but not out: Youth Depression and Suicide
    Know Your Numbers Health Day
    Open Access Information in Health and Wellbeing
    Sexual Health within the Primary Care Setting
    Healthy Food for All: National Conference 2013
    Men 50+ ... Let’s Get Physical

TRAINING

Seminars for Practitioners Working with Fathers
    Promoting Wellbeing Training Courses

RESEARCH

Men, Fertility and Assisted Reproduction
    How Do Men Prepare for Fatherhood?

WEB LINKS

Men's Issues on the Web

NEXT EDITION

Just to point out that I've no formal involvement with the Men's Health Forum in Ireland; I'm just on their mailing list and thought I'd highlight their stuff. Men's Health issues don't get so much focus on tGC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement