Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Drones in Parks

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If the drone was as big as you say then it had collision sensors on it and had practically zero chance of hitting you and causing injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Effects wrote: »
    If the drone was as big as you say then it had collision sensors on it and had practically zero chance of hitting you and causing injury.

That’s well and good but I forgot to read the drone owners handbook before I went out for a walk in my local park so I wouldn’t have a clue about these lovely collision sensors.

That's understandable. But now you realise how little danger you were in, surely your anger must have been quelled a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

How do you know there was a camera on it, pointed at you? What's your feelings on cctv, or kites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Even cheap light drones can cause injury if they fall, and most people underestimate the rotational inertia in plastic rotors.

Also, you might want to re-read the IAA rules you studied (for your "license" that doesn't exist - maybe you mean Specific Operating Permission from the IAA?) - there is no size or type of drone that is exempt from the IAA restrictions. Not all require registration, but none are allowed in public parks or to be flown over others without permission.
    well said. it is the speed not the size that determines if it would hurt. Bullets are small...

Also, you might want to re-read the IAA rules you studied (for your "license" that doesn't exist - maybe you mean Specific Operating Permission from the I
    thats just boasting about the cost of the drones he uses and his license Specific Operating Permission

• Advertisement

How do you know there was a camera on it, pointed at you? What's your feelings on cctv, or kites?

You're really not following this thread well are you ?

That's understandable. But now you realise how little danger you were in, surely your anger must have been quelled a little.

Position still stands. If a drone flies close to me or in my personal space then I’ll be defending myself. I won’t wait until it’s collision sensors kick in, the same way I wouldn’t wait for a dog aggressively running at me to have a sudden change of heart. You must be one of those people who is just great in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Position still stands. If a drone flies close to me or in my personal space then I’ll be defending myself. I won’t wait until it’s collision sensors kick in, the same way I wouldn’t wait for a dog aggressively running at me to have a sudden change of heart. You must be one of those people who is just great in the moment.

I kinda want to buy and go fly a drone in Dublin 5 now.
    But seriously Hal you have been told the legal position a few times (and thank you to those who have posted the relevant laws and regs for flying drones) and while it is amusing to read your hard man stance what do you get out of posting the same undermined position again and again?

i saw one flown over a st patrick's day parade i think it was this year.

How would you tell it was further than 300 m or higher than 120 m or within 30 m of a person. Does the control tell how high and far it is?

The controller tells you a huge amount of information. Altitude and distance would be two of the more basic ones.

I'd say it was the guys from aerial.ie flying at the St. Patricks Festival.
    Highly professional drone pilots and always fly within the rules. They even get to fly their drones at Dublin airport.

There's not much you can do to defend yourself against a drone. How big is your personal space? What kind of defence are you thinking of?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

So, you asked for legal advice, rejected it and you don't seem to care about it one way or another.
    You just wanted to have a grump about drones and letting us know that you would swat them out of the sky as well as kicking any dogs that get too close to you.
    I'm kinda getting a mental image of some quare guy walking through the park yelling at drones, dogs and possibly children and people kinda moving away from you.
    Since you don't seem to care about legal advice, one question.
    Why did you not post this in AH? You couldn't give a figs about any factual, serious advice, why this forum?
    The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tenor.gif

So, you asked for legal advice, rejected it and you don't seem to care about it one way or another.
    You just wanted to have a grump about drones and letting us know that you would swat them out of the sky as well as kicking any dogs that get too close to you.
    I'm kinda getting a mental image of some quare guy walking through the park yelling at drones, dogs and possibly children and people kinda moving away from you.
    Since you don't seem to care about legal advice, one question.
    Why did you not post this in AH? You couldn't give a figs about any factual, serious advice, why this forum?
    The mind boggles.

Yes we have established the legal position and I’m now aware of that. I’ve just stated that if one comes near me I’ll be defending myself if I feel threatened. People here cannot seem to accept that and that’s not my problem. I accept that they can fly over me in public, but I won’t accept that I can do nothing and have to accept them flying towards me in a threatening manner.

Also, when did I reject the legal advice ?

The controller tells you a huge amount of information. Altitude and distance would be two of the more basic ones.

I'd say it was the guys from aerial.ie flying at the St. Patricks Festival.
    Highly professional drone pilots and always fly within the rules. They even get to fly their drones at Dublin airport.
    how can they fly over people and parades? https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones says cannot fly over people or parades

Yes we have established the legal position and I’m now aware of that. I’ve just stated that if one comes near me I’ll be defending myself if I feel threatened. People here cannot seem to accept that and that’s not my problem. I accept that they can fly over me in public, but I won’t accept that I can do nothing and have to accept them flying towards me in a threatening manner.

Also, when did I reject the legal advice ?
    think you might have said that before and you can complain if it is is a public park. I was thinking of getting one but it seems hard to find a place they can be flown and i would respect the rules about that

think you might have said that before

Yea I have but you seem to have a problem accepting that along with most other posters here.

Yea I have but you seem to have a problem accepting that along with most other posters here.
    i accept it but why keep repeating it. we know

I'm picturing a grown man running after a drone like a child after a balloon.
    I've no problem accepting that and think it would be quite funny.
    You might bring it down if the drone operator laughs so hard, he'll crash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Some tips on how to catch one

Quick tip, drones can't catch you if you do the Naruto run.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: not legal discussion.

Hal3000, please do not start any further threads on this forum without permission from one of the forum moderators. Should you start further threads without permission, you will be banned from the forum indefinitely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement