Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda questioning during investigation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

kippy wrote: »
    The level of delusion on this thread is worrying.
    Be honest with the guards if you have nothing to hide. Answer whatever questions they have for you. Especially in these circumstances.
    As for the guards never making a person better for their presence, nonsense and a slur on all decent Gardai out there.
    you think so guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,425 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You're away with the fairies if you think its a good idea to answer Garda questions just because you have "nothing to hide".

Just ask Garda Maurice McCabe how he got on when he had nothing to hide.

If someone like McCabe can be fitted up imagine what they would do to the ordinary Joe Soap who is not a Garda.

Totally different scenario and one of a very small number of complete outliers - not the "standard" way the majoraty of Gardai deal with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,425 ✭✭✭✭kippy

you think so guard?

I am not a guard, but yes, I do think so or else I wouldn't have said it... :confused:

I am not a guard, but yes, I do think so or else I wouldn't have said it... :confused:
    then you do it. i won't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Totally different scenario and one of a very small number of complete outliers - not the "standard" way the majoraty of Gardai deal with things.

I have always found that the CEO of any organisation sets the tone and culture of said organisation. So if the CEO is a backstabbing assh0le chances are most of the senior management appointed by them are the same.

Now as the main service users / clients of the Garda as an organisation are fond of stabbing, shooting, assaulting, robbing and other nasty habits it's not unreasonable that the staff have to have some level of moral flexibility too. While it may not be PC it's not unrealistic to accept that the civilian should be mindful of this.

A rational Garda is not spending 20 min questioning someone and coming back again without a reason for a burgerly, so if the word suspect has been used the OPs girlfriend needs to shut up, smile politely while walking away and pay a solicitor to speak on her behalf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

It is the "standard" because that came from Garda management.

If the management are corrupt then the people lower down won't not be any better.

You have the right to remain silent. Use it.

If you haven't been accused of anything just walk away from them. It's that stone cold simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

You have the right to remain silent. Use it.

If you haven't been accused of anything just walk away from them. It's that stone cold simple.

Its up to them to prove someone is guilty.

They don't have to prove they're innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Unless the Gardai you described are total morons, it's highly unlikely they'll trouble you again.

Imagine them actually charging the OP' girlfriend and bringing her to court over a letter at the doorstep presuming there's no other trace evidence like fingerprints etc etc. I assume her fingerprints aren't even on it as it was delivered to the wrong address, the fact she lives next door and An Post are known to make mistakes. Let it die down for a few weeks and then talk to the local Superintendent about it.

Since their only evidence is a letter found on the floor, Was the scene actually photographed including the original positioning of the letter where found. Dust particle layers, bacteria etc present in unoccupied houses on top of the letter can be biologically tested to indicate how long the letter lay there. Have AGS just destroyed and/or contaminated this evidence picking up and bringing the letter out to the elements? Why wasn't the letter immediately sealed in an evidence bag and sent for testing? etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

I’d contact the guard in writing. Request a copy of the letter, note it was opened when presented to me and ask the Gardai did they open the letter and, if so, on what basis. Nothing else. They should have what they need to eliminate your gf on 20 minutes of questioning but if they come back for more I’d be very wary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

By asking you questions they are only trying to incriminate you.

When getting interrogated by the police its best to remember the 5 words "I have nothing to say".
    The job of the lower rank police is to charge people with a crime in spite of what they say.. not necessarily solve the crime. Do not talk to the police in any circumstance without first seeking legal council.
    The charge sheet is what earns police credibility in public view, not spending hours and police resources on seeking the actual truth. They might 'just want to have a chat to clear up a few things' but they'll soon be literally putting words in your mouth and twist things to discredit your genuine alibi etc.
    Very prevalent in Uk as well
    Anyone who thinks a garda is 'having a chat' with them is on a highway to delusion
    You're away with the fairies if you think its a good idea to answer Garda questions just because you have "nothing to hide".

Just ask Garda Maurice McCabe how he got on when he had nothing to hide.

If someone like McCabe can be fitted up imagine what they would do to the ordinary Joe Soap who is not a Garda.

Is this Legal Discussion or Conspiracy Theories???

BaronVon wrote: »
    Is this Legal Discussion or Conspiracy Theories???
    was Garda McCabe a conspiracy theory? Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Unless the Gardai you described are total morons, it's highly unlikely they'll trouble you again.

Imagine them actually charging the OP' girlfriend and bringing her to court over a letter at the doorstep presuming there's no other trace evidence like fingerprints etc etc. I assume her fingerprints aren't even on it as it was delivered to the wrong address, the fact she lives next door and An Post are known to make mistakes. Let it die down for a few weeks and then talk to the local Superintendent about it.

Since their only evidence is a letter found on the floor, Was the scene actually photographed including the original positioning of the letter where found. Dust particle layers, bacteria etc present in unoccupied houses on top of the letter can be biologically tested to indicate how long the letter lay there. Have AGS just destroyed and/or contaminated this evidence picking up and bringing the letter out to the elements? Why wasn't the letter immediately sealed in an evidence bag and sent for testing? etc etc.

Went down to station saturday, signed a statement saying letter was hers and she ordered it online etc and she got her letter back. Thats the end of it hopefully. Dealt with one of garda that was at door a week ago. There was an apology but again not very friendly and when my girlfriend asked if there was much stolen etc (conversation filler) was responded to with "why would you want to know this?" or "is there something you want to say?" Etc.
    Again a bit strange, but maybe thats just the way of that individual garda but wouldn't want to deal with that garda myself again tbh, just felt like they were a very awkward individual to deal with and their people skills were a bit lacking and aggressive.

Again dunno why people were saying I was hiding something or not giving full story, just posted on this as I found the whole thing bizzare and was looking for some advise. Never had an issue with the law. The whole thing has left me unimpressed by the Garda we dealt with.

Anyway hopefully all sorted now, didnt expect the thread to pick up this sort of traction.

Again thanks for responses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Went down to station saturday, signed a statement saying letter was hers and she ordered it online etc and she got her letter back. Thats the end of it hopefully. Dealt with one of garda that was at door a week ago. There was an apology but again not very friendly and when my girlfriend asked if there was much stolen etc (conversation filler) was responded to with "why would you want to know this?" or "is there something you want to say?" Etc.
    Again a bit strange, but maybe thats just the way of that individual garda but wouldn't want to deal with that garda myself again tbh, just felt like they were a very awkward individual to deal with and their people skills were a bit lacking and aggressive.

Again dunno why people were saying I was hiding something or not giving full story, just posted on this as I found the whole thing bizzare and was looking for some advise. Never had an issue with the law. The whole thing has left me unimpressed by the Garda we dealt with.

Anyway hopefully all sorted now, didnt expect the thread to pick up this sort of traction.

Again thanks for responses

Rank and file Guards are like any other profession, on a spectrum, although some you speak to seem to be on a different spectrum altogether. I deal with them frequently and the vast majority are great to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

BnB wrote: »
    Why?

If you have done nothing wrong, then just answer the bloody questions so the Gardai can rule you out and move on with the investigation. By being a twat as you have suggested above, all you are doing is holding up the investigation.

If a burglary happened next door to me, my priority would be to see that is is solved as soon as possible in case my house is next. If answering some questions to rule myself out of the suspects is part of that process, then let's get it over and done with as soon as possible.

But they are not talking to you to rule you out, especially when they have nothing to go on so are getting all hot and bothered about a misdelivered letter. They even said the woman is being considered a suspect.

If you have never dealt with the gardai, and Im going to assume you havent as this post is so laughable to me, you might think that when you have nothing to hide and are telling the truth you dont have to worry. But if you have dealt with them you would know they treat everyone with suspicion. It's just what they do.

Many years ago walking home from night shift work I found a wallet sitting on a wall. The wallet had no money or ID inside but had bank cards in it. It looked like someone had maybe found the wallet before me as it was on a wall not the ground but who knows. Anyway it was just before Christmas so I thought the person might have hassle getting the cards replaced before the holiday. I turned the wallet in and the gardai on duty shot me daggers asking me was there cash in it, was I sure. Must have asked 5 times. Really annoyed me. Why would I turn it in if I robbed cash out of it? In the eyes of a guard, the answer to that would seem to be I'm a criminal mastermind looking to throw them off the scent with my good deed.

Another day i was skateboarding in a park and I saw a handbag that was discarded and open. I looked inside and found a purse with student ID, medical card, makeup and a few other bits. I thought maybe it had been robbed from a student on a night out. Only for the fact that it was a local college I wouldn't have bothered trying to return it to the owner after the last time I turned something in, no way would I go near the gardai, brought it to the college.

About 6 years ago someone burnt a car out in my estate, in an alley that goes behind my house and all the others on my side of the street, behind a house belonging to people who are, as they say 'well known to gardai.' I had visitors from the US at the time who actually noticed it first as they saw it from the room they were staying in. Thinking it could be dangerous as it was close to houses I rang the gardai to let them know.

They ended up calling to the house 3 times, once on the night, fair enough, again a few days later and again 3 months later, this time questioning me in an aggressive manner. I had only just moved into the estate when it happened and the people whose house it was have been there ages and are literally at every sitting of the local court for something, including violent offenses.

If they are talking to you, they aren't doing it to rule you out. Especially if you are a young male. And the way they go on it is like the cliche of the Irish cops you see in films with the browbeating and getting thick. In my experience anyway. I would never tell them anything as there is no guarantee what you say will be recorded correctly and all it takes is one word taken out or added to totally paint things differently.

Advertisement