Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JJayoo wrote: »
    We are doing a big cull this year, clean up the flock.

Spoke to a guy a while back who used to carry 200 ewes. He decided to cut back a bit and culled an extra 20 ewes in 2018, saying "F*ck it, I'll take the hit on having less lambs to sell".

When it was all added up at the end of the year, he reckoned he was down no more than the price of 8 lambs.

Well we had kept a lot of sheep that really should have been culled in previous years. Originally our flock would be allmayo mountain sheep and over the last 5/6 years we have started mixing in some other sheep, so we now have a good bit of dalesbred and swaledale mixed in. A sheep which might have been moved on last year was kept because she was a dalesbred/swale.

Our numbers will stay approx the same with replacements, but I 100% agree with the benefits of cutting numbers. I have one neighbor who booked in 140 sheep to get sheared, ended up with 202 lol, had no idea he had so many.

Lambs are down 5cent/kg this week, and culls are down 20cent/kg.

Big drop on culls especially as I have 19 going on Thursday/Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

470 icm today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Box09 wrote: »
    470 icm today

That's the same as last week is it,
    I'd say they're afraid of their lives to drop the price in case they have the barrels at the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambs are down 5cent/kg this week, and culls are down 20cent/kg.

Big drop on culls especially as I have 19 going on Thursday/Friday :(

The factories in the west being closed, can not be helping.

• Advertisement

Had it wrong Kildare chilling base quotes this week
    Lamb 4.55/kg, down 15 cent this week
    Sheep 2.50/kg down 20 cent this week.

Any reason for the big drop?

Had it wrong Kildare chilling base quotes this week
    Lamb 4.55/kg, down 15 cent this week
    Sheep 2.50/kg down 20 cent this week.

Any reason for the big drop?

Are you talking quotes on the paper or over the phone.
    They quoted 460 plus 10 on the paper last week and 455 +10 yesterday so a drop of 5c
    ICM have been 250 for ewes for a while I think

some of the time Kildare were quoting anything atalll, they were blocked so it didn't make any difference what they quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    some of the time Kildare were quoting anything atalll, they were blocked so it didn't make any difference what they quoted

Just read there, the protests have been withdrawn in dawn meats, so we might be able to return to Kildare soon enough.

• Advertisement

Just read there, the protests have been withdrawn in dawn meats, so we might be able to return to Kildare soon enough.

Whether they had it or not the factories wouldn't give in, arrogant to the bone they are.
    Not over yet though

Whether they had it or not the factories wouldn't give in, arrogant to the bone they are.
    Not over yet though

I’m only an outside observer, but I’m just as disappointed with the carry on of creed, bird bia and the competition authority, in their handling of the whole event and the side they came down on.

I’m only an outside observer, but I’m just as disappointed with the carry on of creed, bird bia and the competition authority, in their handling of the whole event and the side they came down on.

I suppose I've been through it all before and wasn't expecting anything different.
    I don't know if it was ever paid but we were fined over €500000 and, like beef plan, IFA stepped down and left farmers vulnerable......we negotiated then and it wasn't pushed further.
    Anyway it's not over yet

How are prices decided on? For example we sent down lambs two weeks ago from Sligo to Kildare, a truck with about 400 lambs collected them. We had to book these lambs in approx a week before and then when the haulage guy had a full load he called us to say he would be collecting.

So the factories know that these lads are coming with their 400+ lambs, and they also know that these lambs have to be booked in by the farmer to secure a place on the truck, so there are thousands of lambs sent to factories without the farmers actually knowing what the price for them will be.

If the factory know they have a big amount of lambs booked in do they lower the price to maximize profits for that week. Or is the price dictated by the amount of lambs available the previous week?

You would think that the factory would raise prices to attract more farmers to send in their lambs, but since you have to have them booked in before you actually see any price increase this doesn't make
    much sense. Unless the haulage guys only make up a small % of total lamb numbers.

I think the sun is making me ramble lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I suppose I've been through it all before and wasn't expecting anything different.
    I don't know if it was ever paid but we were fined over €500000 and, like beef plan, IFA stepped down and left farmers vulnerable......we negotiated then and it wasn't pushed further.
    Anyway it's not over yet

I was talking to someone recently and he was saying how its impossible to negotiate with splinter groups(workers unions). I had to remind him that the farmers were pushed to splinter by the legal action taken by the factories.

How are prices decided on? For example we sent down lambs two weeks ago from Sligo to Kildare, a truck with about 400 lambs collected them. We had to book these lambs in approx a week before and then when the haulage guy had a full load he called us to say he would be collecting.

So the factories know that these lads are coming with their 400+ lambs, and they also know that these lambs have to be booked in by the farmer to secure a place on the truck, so there are thousands of lambs sent to factories without the farmers actually knowing what the price for them will be.

If the factory know they have a big amount of lambs booked in do they lower the price to maximize profits for that week. Or is the price dictated by the amount of lambs available the previous week?

You would think that the factory would raise prices to attract more farmers to send in their lambs, but since you have to have them booked in before you actually see any price increase this doesn't make
    much sense. Unless the haulage guys only make up a small % of total lamb numbers.

I think the sun is making me ramble lol

You should know the price before they get on the lorry.

But you have to book them on the lorry a week in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

But you have to book them on the lorry a week in advance.

Can you not book them, and then check the price either the day or the day before they go on the lorry?
    At least you’ll know what you’re getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Can you not book them, and then check the price either the day or the day before they go on the lorry?
    At least you’ll know what you’re getting?

that would be worth inquiring about.
    It might be that the truck driver only tells the factory he's coming when he has a full load.

That situation also sounds like it'll lead to lots of overweight lambs too

Have all the pickets finished in the sheep factories ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Any increase on 21kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Paying 21.5 since 1st September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was at the mart today and it took an exceptional lamb to make 100e and those were bought by butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

kk.man wrote: »
    Was at the mart today and it took an exceptional lamb to make 100e and those were bought by butchers.

What weights kk man? Fermoy on Monday was €2/kg for butcher's and factory lambs.

kk.man wrote: »

What weights kk man? Fermoy on Monday was €2/kg for butcher's and factory lambs.
    50kgs lambs struggled to make 100e. Those that did were bought by butchers and those sub 100e were bought by factory agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

Does ICM kill on Saturdays or is it just weekdays? Thanks

Update: Just got though to them and they don't.

5 euro in fees for every animal we sent to factory. 2 euro haulage and 3euro in factory fees.

The 2euro haulage is sound but when you see a breakdown of all the factory fees it's a joke, where does this money actually go?
    SRM charge of 1.27 euro on all animals
    Scrapie charge of .71 cent on all animals.

5 euro in fees for every animal we sent to factory. 2 euro haulage and 3euro in factory fees.

The 2euro haulage is sound but when you see a breakdown of all the factory fees it's a joke, where does this money actually go?
    SRM charge of 1.27 euro on all animals
    Scrapie charge of .71 cent on all animals.

Scrapie only applicable on ewes

What are lads paying in haulage ? Last time I sent around 15 sheep, I was charged €3.50 a head to factory. I’m 100 mile from factory. How does this compare ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

What are lads paying in haulage ? Last time I sent around 15 sheep, I was charged €3.50 a head to factory. I’m 100 mile from factory. How does this compare ?

2 euro here

Advertisement