Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Dublin commuter trains

Options
  • 22-09-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Does anyone commute on this line to and from Dublin?
    What is it like for seats both early morning and evening? Jam packed or ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Does anyone commute on this line to and from Dublin?
    What is it like for seats both early morning and evening? Jam packed or ok?

Any morning service should have seats available, the only exception would be 7.30 ex Galway between Athlone/Heuston at certain times such as school holidays, run up Christmas etc.

Returning in evening will probably require some standing particularly 17.30 but in most cases after 20 mins you should have a seat. If you have a reservations then this will not always be an issue.

If your employer allows you to work on train commuting isn't bad but expecting a full days work in Dublin is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

A huge amount depends on the distance between Heuston and your place of work. If this requires a bus, it's not going to work unless you have superhuman levels of stamina. Even as it is, you'll be spending over 5 hours a day on the train. I did 3.5 hours per day on the train from Edgeworthstown for about 13 years. That wasn't really a runner without getting a day a week from home and even at that the improvement in my quality of life since I gave it up is staggering.

Everyone has different levels of stamina, but losing 6 or 7 hours of each weekday (you're going to add at least an hour for the trips each end and delays) to a commute is not possible for most people. I wouldn't buy an annual pass to be starting with if I were you.

Advertisement