Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy next?

Options
  • 16-02-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

While I probably won't be buying new stuff for a while now, what's been running through my mind is what to upgrade/buy? At the moment, I've got the main things, including a light bike, a pair of good cycling shoes with a dial for tightening, HR monitor, cheapish bike computer (but measures speed, cadence, hr, and distance by gps), aero helmet and cycling clothes (but nothing too fancy). So what would I be best off investing in next? A new set of wheels, a power meter or even just tighter clothing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Only ONE bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Only ONE bike?

Well, one racing bike, one winter bike

Do u have a Turbo trainer?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you've only got the standard wheels that came with the bike the best upgrade is usually a spare set. Not only for improved cycling but also allows to quickly change over if you ever find yourself with a puncture/ damaged tyre or a broken spoke (one you get homr anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

It's hard to make recommendations without knowing your bike(s) full specs.

Most people would opt for a nice set of wheels at this stage. You'll see Campagnolo Zondas recommended a lot around here. I have a set and I'm very happy with them. But then, you might already have better wheels than these on your bike?

• Advertisement

gaffmaster wrote: »
    It's hard to make recommendations without knowing your bike(s) full specs.

Most people would opt for a nice set of wheels at this stage. You'll see Campagnolo Zondas recommended a lot around here. I have a set and I'm very happy with them. But then, you might already have better wheels than these on your bike?

Well my bike is a Planet X RT90 with Vision Racing Sport wheels and SRAM rival groupset.
    Do u have a Turbo trainer?

Yes, a basic one but it does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Support team and high-end estate car to put them in.

Support team and high-end estate car to put them in.

Aka my mum and her Nissan Qashqai, check

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just worry about the cycling. and spare tubes, buy them.

I say this as someone who spends obscene amounts of time looking at what to buy and then buying way more than I need

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just worry about the cycling. and spare tubes, buy them.

I saw this as someone who spends obscene amounts of time looking at what to buy and then buying way more than I need

Are continental tubes good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It depends what type of riding you are doing. If you are just doing leisure riding then there isn't much use in buying something like a power meter.

Wheels - depends on your current bike and setup

For clothes, I'd suggest buying in sales when you can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

O.o

I have often thought to myself that cycling is the new golf partly because of the opportunities to waste money on new gadgets.

That is so far beyond anything golf has to offer.

€400 for two little jockey wheels for rear derailleur BUT ITS A BARGAIN DOWN FROM €459:eek:

It depends what type of riding you are doing. If you are just doing leisure riding then there isn't much use in buying something like a power meter.

Wheels - depends on your current bike and setup

For clothes, I'd suggest buying in sales when you can

I plan on racing.

A new bike rack?

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike/products/talon

* I know...its Friday! :)

A new bike rack?

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike/products/talon

* I know...its Friday! :)

Perfect! They'll hold my future wheels very well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fian wrote: »
    O.o

I have often thought to myself that cycling is the new golf partly because of the opportunities to waste money on new gadgets.

That is so far beyond anything golf has to offer.

€400 for two little jockey wheels for rear derailleur BUT ITS A BARGAIN DOWN FROM €459:eek:

AArgh, can't believe I wasted 10 quid on my new Tacx ones. Sure they spin freely and guide the chain perfectly well, but these.....

AArgh, can't believe I wasted 10 quid on my new Tacx ones. Sure they spin freely and guide the chain perfectly well, but these.....

Ya well if you want to go to, this is what you need! With a 1.4 watt saving, you'll never go back to the old stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

While I probably won't be buying new stuff for a while now, what's been running through my mind is what to upgrade/buy? At the moment, I've got the main things, including a light bike, a pair of good cycling shoes with a dial for tightening, HR monitor, cheapish bike computer (but measures speed, cadence, hr, and distance by gps), aero helmet and cycling clothes (but nothing too fancy). So what would I be best off investing in next? A new set of wheels, a power meter or even just tighter clothing?

Invest in coaching.
    Sounds boring- I know.
    But essential.
    Definitely worth it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are your goals? do you want to race?

the reason i ask - and i say this as someone with four bikes*, so it amy sound a bit hypocritical when i mention i've never upgraded anything. i've replaced items on the bike, but only when they wear out or break.

in short, instead of spending money on your bike, why not spend it on your cycling? use the money to fund a trip somewhere you've not been cycling before. or on something that allows you to cycle in conditions you don't currently cycle in.

*one bought before the changeover to the euro, one shortly after, and a beater singlespeed for the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I presume you have a pair of custom Rocket 7 shoes - a snip at $1,450 a pair!

https://www.rocket7.com/buy-now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Few days cycling in Mallorca FTW

I presume you have a pair of custom Rocket 7 shoes - a snip at $1,450 a pair!

https://www.rocket7.com/buy-now

Yes obviously! They fit comfortably onto my Garmin pedals! http://a.co/iz095Mu

what are your goals? do you want to race?

the reason i ask - and i say this as someone with four bikes*, so it amy sound a bit hypocritical when i mention i've never upgraded anything. i've replaced items on the bike, but only when they wear out or break.

in short, instead of spending money on your bike, why not spend it on your cycling? use the money to fund a trip somewhere you've not been cycling before. or on something that allows you to cycle in conditions you don't currently cycle in.

*one bought before the changeover to the euro, one shortly after, and a beater singlespeed for the shops.

Ya I want to race, but I don't see the point of spending €2-3k on a new bike when my current bike has already got a light frame.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Invest in coaching.
    Sounds boring- I know.
    But essential.
    Definitely worth it for me.

Well I have club members but what will a coach teach me that I can't already teach myself/have a club member teach me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What a great thread. Who would have thought you could spend you cycling pocket money so wisely! Perhaps a new sticky on the way ‘The Marginal Gain thread’
    Well I have club members but what will a coach teach me that I can't already teach myself/have a club member teach me?

It’s not about what they teach you (as a tennis or golf coach) but more like developing you as a cyclist. Giving you a structure to training. It’s very easy to do too much of one type of cycling and not progress as much as you could foenhe time you are putting in. A structured programme would prevent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I think you have a lot to learn from that response!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Not to de-rail but im wondering what next to buy also.. have 60mm full carbons and a full carbon saddle. Pedals are basic look keo easy and have some spare cash lying around so am looking at shimano dura ace 9100 pedals as i hate the constant squeeking from the looks.

Any opinions on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Ah, young grasshopper...
    Much to learn, you do have.
    Tis very obvious, in recent times.

Another thought- isn't it wonderful you have such money to spend? I haven't a bob myself to be honest.

But trust me on the coaching...

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Ah, young grasshopper...
    Much to learn, you do have.
    Tis very obvious, in recent times.

Another thought- isn't it wonderful you have such money to spend? I haven't a bob myself to be honest.

But trust me on the coaching...

Ok, I'll look into it. But I wish I had money to spend. I'm stuck paying back the bike to work scheme :(

Advertisement