Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word War II records

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm looking for records for a British Army Officer who was KIA during North Africa Campaign in 1943. Are there enlistment records available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

If he is buried in North Africa, then the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will have a record of the basic details, but more details than that would need researching in the regimental records, assuming that you know what part of the Army he served in.

The level of detail available is usually quite sketchy, even to family members - if any.

BTW, officers did not enlist, they were commissioned.

You might care to PM me with details, if you wish to do so - as a former BA officer I might be able to get a little further than you could.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FireFoxBoy

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

To add to what Tac Foley has said, there is also the Gazette (London Gazette, Edinburgh Gazette, Dublin Gazette pre 1922 or Belfast Gazette from 1922) which lists all appointments.

It is digitised and searchable, and free online (thegazette.co.uk)

Service numbers may also be found on the forces war records pay website.
    Actual service records are limited to next-of-kin or direct descendants. Applications have to be made to the Ministry of Defence in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

@FireFoxboy - you keep answering my PM with a copy of my PM to you. Are you unhappy with my response? I DID ask if you were a relative, a point reinforced by friend tabbey above.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FireFoxBoy

tac foley wrote: »
    @FireFoxboy - you keep answering my PM with a copy of my PM to you.  Are you unhappy with my response?  I DID ask if you were a relative, a point reinforced by friend tabbey above.

tac
    Yes, he's a distant relative. I don't know if you have heard of H F W Ely? He took the Chinese Emperor's clothing. They are the same family. T H Ely was his grand nephew. They are originally from Laois/Tipperary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement