Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help a newbie - should I buy a road bike?

• 07-12-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Since the summer I've been out regularly on my existing bike - a hybrid (Ridgeback Meteor), about 6 years old, covering 21-22 km once a week. I've been monitoring my times/speed using a combination of a simple (Aldi) cycle computer and a phone app. At this stage I'm consistently doing the distance in an hour (+\- a few mins, depending on local traffic) and keeping a steady 30kmph on the flat. But pushing myself doesn't seem to have any real impact on my overall time. So the key question in my mind is if I want to get faster, do I just need to push my fat arse faster or am I close to limits for my hybrid.

The second question is, of course, if it is the bike what should I look at? I had a brief look in the Giant store and had a sit on both a sportive and drop bars bike - I felt slightly more at home on the drop bar bike, but that could just because it reminded my of the racer I had in school. In terms of budget I'd be happy enough to spend around 500 if I felt it would be a bike that I could use for some time. I'm not hung up on new or second hand, but if new I do have the option of the bike to work scheme. However, my office is 40km from home (no public transport I could pick either) so it would have to be an option to be able to cover 80km in a day and still work! But that could give me a budget of upto 1,000 retail (high rate tax payer that I am).

Other info that might influence suggestions: late 30's, relatively fit - but could lose a few pounds, half thinking that if I got comfortable with my speed I might do a few charity runs/whatever.

Thoughts?

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You don't haven't cycle all the way to work, just part of the way. Say for example, you could cycle from your bedroom up to the front door, then use your car for the rest of the journey ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I think 40km each way is a lot, off the bat. You would be better off to work up to it - one day a week, then two and so on. A road bike ( drop bars ) is essential.

Genesis have a good range for long, all weather commutes. A number of LBS are now stocking them at fair prices. Slightly better value are Verenti on Wiggle. It depends on how comfortable you are at buying a bike online. Verenti will get you something closer to 500 but you should be looking at spending more for that kind of usage.

There isnt a day that goes by that I dont wish my commute was 40 km each way :( :pac:

Edit - dont forget 40 km equals about 2hrs each way. Its a lot of time as well as physical effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks folks,

@Daroxtar - I understand the amount of my commute I do on the bike is variable - but it would be nice to have the option of doing the full distance.

@ror_74 - thanks, I think if I'm really going to commute on it, I'll go the bike to work option and bring the budget up to a grand. In terms of the physical effort, I'm down with it, but given my schedule I'd need to cover the 40km in an hour and a half. Am I being too optimistic?

Paddy

Depends - keep the bike as light as possible. Is it hilly ? Unless you have a base fitness I think it will be slightly optimistic for a commute. Usually its slightly below 25kph when you account for extra weight with panniers, backpack etc.Then there's traffic lights and traffic. I'd say will be closer to 2 hrs initially, with an hour and a half more than doable before long.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Depends - keep the bike as light as possible. Is it hilly ? Unless you have a base fitness I think it will be slightly optimistic for a commute. Usually its slightly below 25kph when you account for extra weight with panniers, backpack etc.Then there's traffic lights and traffic. I'd say will be closer to 2 hrs initially, with an hour and a half more than doable before long.
    I'm reasonably fit, but I suspect it will be a tough ask initially. Not too hilly, but there's a steep enough rise between Maynooth and Dunboyne that I'll need to cover. I can leave the laptop in the office, it would be just me, the bike and a change of gear.

In terms of keeping the bike light, my reading suggests a grand will get me a basic carbon frame or a mid range alloy frame. Using a local bike shop for examples Trek 1.5 or Giant TCR Composite 3

Any thoughts?

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you want to do a 40k commute in an hour and a half(excluding shower/clothes change) how about upping your budget to an E-Bike?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If you want to do a 40k commute in an hour and a half(excluding shower/clothes change) how about upping your budget to an E-Bike?

:D not really my thing. If I was heading that direction I'd dust off my motorbike license and get something with a bit more get up and go :cool:

Paddy

Would generally prefer Giant but in this case I think the Trek might be better. You'll probably need to change the saddle, wheels ( or tires at least ) and pedals before long.

If were me I'd raise an extra 300 for a Genesis Equilibrium which has clearance for wide tires and mudguards. In fact theres no way I'd go with either of those bikes you mention for a long commute. Ask your LBS for something with mudguards.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/equilibrium-10

Bear in mind an 80km commute is hard going when you've already done a few days of it, but Maynooth to the city center is flat so not too bad. Between Lucan and Maynooth can be a bit hairy at night/ early morning with large vehicles - you'll need good lights.

ror_74 wrote: »
    In fact theres no way I'd go with either of those bikes you mention for a long commute. Ask your LBS for something with mudguards.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/equilibrium-10

Bear in mind an 80km commute is hard going when you've already done a few days of it, but Maynooth to the city center is flat so not too bad. Between Lucan and Maynooth can be a bit hairy at night/ early morning with large vehicles - you'll need good lights.
    Thanks. Makes sense, I think a trip to the LBS makes sense.

I'm going from Naas to Blanch (via Maynooth and Dunboyne) so hairy with narrow roads rather than heavy traffic.

But I think it's important to say the commute is not my prime focus, just a consideration give the bike to work scheme and something that might let me get some exercise in time I'd normally spend in the car.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I suggest you get a second hand roadbike for 4-500, ride it instead of your hybrid, get used to doing the extra few miles. Do a few events if you feel like it, maybe join a club. You could even use it for a few one way commutes (eg bring the bike to work in your car and cycle home, then cycle in the next day) when the weather / days get a bit kinder / longer. Then you'll have a better idea of what you like, what would fit your needs. At that stage you can use your BTW to get a nice upgrade or commuter bike.
    In short, don't use the BTW in haste.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks. I think I'll take a trip down the LBS figure out what a roadbike that can take wide tyres and mud guards looks & feels like, get an idea on price and start hunting on advents for something in the 4-500 range.

Cheers,

Paddy

Advertisement