Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What lube for Zonda freehub pawls?

Options
  • 05-12-2014 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I have thrawled the net but cannot find a recent answer to this question and considering how popular Zondas have become I thought maybe someone here would have an answer.

I stripped and cleaned the freehub on mine as it was making a weird noise, turned out two of the Pawls were stuck in place slightly as the grease on them was thick and dirty. So now they're spribging back in and out freely I don't know what grease to use on them. I've coated them in castrol GTX for now but need something less liquid...I think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Gtx should be ok if not a bit thick. Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to 're do what you have done at the end of the winter just to make sure they aren't starting to jam up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

There are some super light greases available for this job but for me engine oil such as gtx is both more practical and better

But..
    Replace frequently as it will gently seep out over time and leave the hub dry

Zondas aren't the worst in this regard but mavic seals are useless and usually lose the oil rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was told don't put grease in hubs. 3 in 1 oil is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use 3 in 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I use 3 in 1 on my Zondas. Never have a problem, but I do service the free hub regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks. I'll leave the GTX on them for now. The freewheel is considerably louder now as they were coated witha thick black grease and I'm guessing the two stuck pawls weren't moving at all hence the lack of noise. I'll check them every now and then. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

CJC. Would you mind describing how you disassembled the free hub. What tools did you need. Thanks. Nmg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

CJC. Would you mind describing how you disassembled the free hub. What tools did you need. Thanks. Nmg

5mm Allen key and 17mm spanner.

Remove cassette, stick the 5mm Allen key into the hole in shaft on the drive/cassette side (to prevent the axle from turning) and remove the 17mm nut. Turn the freehub ACW while pulling/wiggling it to remove it.

To replace the freehub turn it anti clockwise and jiggle it about to get it to slip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I would not use grease on pawls. You should use a dense oil, like finish line wet lube, which is what I use, or any decent wet lube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Refer to step 5 at the attached link - it's clearly written with a picture to help!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-overhaul-your-freehub-23757/

Advertisement