Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Aksium wheels.

Options
  • 03-12-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I have a bike I bought cheap second hand, alu frame + Tiagra gearset. Ridley EOS 2011.

I have not upgraded the wheels.

I plan to upgrade to a carbon bike sooner or later but not in the immediate term - I am not going to be racing one way or the other and i am happy enough with spinning along on my existing.

Still better is always better.

currently have the original 4ZA stratos wheels:

http://shop4cross.com/laufrader/systemlaufrader/4za-stratos-schwarz-weiss.html

Would it be worthwhile grabbing the mavik aksiums for €150 from cyclesuperstore advent calendar deals? Can't see myself to stretching to the krysiums they will have later on in the calendar since I figure next bike will probably come with disc brakes so could not swap the wheels into it.

Would there be a noticeable improvement/upgrade? I have no idea whetehr existing wheels are decent or crap, i figure they are clearly not high end but they may not be any better than the aksiums for all I know.

I have recently bought a turbo trainer (yet to be delivered) so it would be handy to use my existing rear wheel with a turbo tyre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Definitely worth grabbing those aksiums yeah. Though you'll find good deals on their wts system aksiums too - tires and tubes included basically, for closer to but still less than 200 blips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

fat bloke wrote: »
    Definitely worth grabbing those aksiums yeah. Though you'll find good deals on their wts system aksiums too - tires and tubes included basically, for closer to but still less than 200 blips.

I've heard some very damning reviews of the aksion tyres that come on the WTS setup (specifically puncture resistance and durability), so personally I'd be happy to get a set without any tyres/tubes, and put the difference towards a set I'd have confidence in, e.g. Continental Grand Prix

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

The Aksium wheels are good, though I have also heard less than stellar reviews of the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The Aksiums will on save you about 100g in weight. The quality of the new ones is not as good, had an old pair for 7 years as commuting wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

FYI: the City Cycles shop in Cabra recently did me a great deal on a set of Mavic axiun wheels 250 hype for around 230euro iirc. I think they threw in tyres too.

Perhaps these aren't as good as the wheels you're looking for so this might be of any help to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Having had both 4ZA stratos and Aksiums I'd personally keep the 4Za's, they're stronger, less likely to go out of shape/true and the freehub is quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

thanks to all.

I guess the comment above from cee-jay-see who has used both is probably enough to decide the issue for me, no point buying them just for the sake of a deal being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fian wrote: »
    no point buying them just for the sake of a deal being on.

That stands againest everything Internet shopping stands for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

ted1 wrote: »
    That stands againest everything Internet shopping stands for
    And specifically for Cycling. Hang your head in shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Fian wrote: »
    thanks to all.

I guess the comment above from cee-jay-see who has used both is probably enough to decide the issue for me, no point buying them just for the sake of a deal being on.
    Having had both 4ZA stratos and Aksiums I'd personally keep the 4Za's, they're stronger, less likely to go out of shape/true and the freehub is quieter

Not to mention that the bolded is completely a matter of personal taste :D

I used to be quite fond of the clicky freewheel on the rear Aksium I managed to kill earlier this year (broke the rim), though the physicist in me knows that the energy dissipated in the form of that louder sound is probably slowing me down infinitesimally:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

have a set of Askiums with the aksion tyres on them....bought in summer from LBS for 200. one of the tires developed "bumps" last week after 800km so had to bin it. Felt like the hub was gone or I was riding on stones! you won't beat a Gatorskin.

Advertisement