Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike theft in Naas Court last week

Options
  • 01-12-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

In the Leinster Leader newpaper last week the bike theft that stole the bike after a sportive was before Naas Court , fined €1500 plus the Probation Act for his efforts

Worth getting a copy of the paper as the guilty party told the Judge that it was "practical joke ".....

Well done to the Garda and all involved , we need to here more stories of guys not getting away with this

name and shame I say

inspector clousean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

Speaking of name and shame what was the convicts name? I'm from Naas. Wondering will I recognise the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Heading a little misleading but your right...

The bike was stolen after a sportive from outside Finlay ford
    The case was in front of the court in naas last week and the gent got away light if you ask me...
    The owner didn't get an apology or even an opportunity to address the court I believe -not very fair- I'd be keen to look the thief in the eye personally especially seeing as he was caught!!!!

But I'm sure he will get his chance as the culprit was local... And known to the owner and club mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was the thief participating in the Wicklow Peaks Challenge that day or just in the area of the finish.

Was the thief participating in the Wicklow Peaks Challenge that day or just in the area of the finish.

I believe he took part in the event..
    In fact pictures on the event helped identify the person in question.

The guy who's bike was stolen is a gent- hugely respected in his club for being a supportive and helpful character

Felt for him when his bike was lifted - and felt overjoyed for him when he got it back

To say that the bike was taken as a " practical joke" is both disingenuous and a blatant lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And here is another report.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/stolen-bikes-found-in-dads-garden-shed-29846372.html

Unconnected to the case in the above posts, just came up with a Google search for "Naas, Bike theft"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jclouseau

connie_c wrote: »
    Speaking of name and shame what was the convicts name? I'm from Naas. Wondering will I recognise the name.

Don't want to name the guy here but the paper has all the details , not sure what club he is attached to if any but his name pop up on Strava a lot ....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That case doesn't appear to be connected with the one being discussed (just to clarify).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Nekarsulm wrote: »

It's unconnected to the OP's case but interesting nonetheless. Taken at face value he wasn't robbing the bikes himself, just buying and selling on donedeal. I would not have thought that was a crime in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm curious as to why the convict would not be named here. If someone appears in a court report in the paper their name, age, and address are all printed. Why not here? They have already been found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Peterx wrote: »
    It's unconnected to the OP's case but interesting nonetheless. Taken at face value he wasn't robbing the bikes himself, just buying and selling on donedeal. I would not have thought that was a crime in itself?

Handling goods, knowing them to be stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Just adding the original thread on the bike in question here, for those that might be interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91073664

Very happy for the owner and a bit miffed that the fine was not heavier.

I read the article and the judge questioned "Why any bike would be worth €2,599?" Guards response was " thats cheap compared to some..."

Guess the judge is not on this forum !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jclouseau

check_six wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why the convict would not be named here. If someone appears in a court report in the paper their name, age, and address are all printed. Why not here? They have already been found guilty.

Its not for me to name him on line , all I was doing was making people aware that he was caught and justice was done

God help the wife and kids , that all I can say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

countrykid wrote: »

I am absolutely shocked at that.
    What did he do with his own bike if he had taken part, did he put his back on a car rack and then go back in to see what he could find ???

Absolutely Incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I am absolutely shocked at that.
    What did he do with his own bike if he had taken part, did he put his back on a car rack and then go back in to see what he could find ???

Absolutely Incredible

I was shocked when i read that aswell...
    Which put me thinking that maybe,just maybe the guy was in dire straits and really not thinking straight...who knows what was going on in his head/life when he did it.
    Glad for the owner who got his bike back...by all accounts seems to be a highly respected guy.
    But lets not be tooo down on the lad whose just been through the courts whose life could be up in a heap and possibly reading this thread...it wont help him.
    Its not your "typical" case of 100 previous convictions etc etc in front of the judge...doesnt make it right either but i think hes paid the price in shame alone.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I was shocked when i read that aswell...
    Which put me thinking that maybe,just maybe the guy was in dire straits and really not thinking straight...who knows what was going on in his head/life when he did it.
    Glad for the owner who got his bike back...by all accounts seems to be a highly respected guy.
    But lets not be tooo down on the lad whose just been through the courts whose life could be up in a heap and possibly reading this thread...it wont help him.
    Its not your "typical" case of 100 previous convictions etc etc in front of the judge...doesnt make it right either but i think hes paid the price in shame alone.
    Marty.

I hear you....
    BUT....
    From my small knowledge of the incident he took the time to SELECT the bike by walking up and down a line of bikes...
    Pre-mediated I'd say!!!!
    He also RODE the bike whilst in his possession
    I don't have any sympathy for him- he's done wrong, got caught...
    Fair dues to those who caught up with him.....
    Friends of the victim and himself investigated at length and succeeded in finding it with assistance from the Gardai.

Ironically - the two men mentioned in the above articles live in the same village!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I hear you....
    BUT....
    From my small knowledge of the incident he took the time to SELECT the bike by walking up and down a line of bikes...
    Pre-mediated I'd say!!!!
    He also RODE the bike whilst in his possession
    I don't have any sympathy for him- he's done wrong, got caught...
    Fair dues to those who caught up with him.....
    Friends of the victim and himself investigated at length and succeeded in finding it with assistance from the Gardai.

Ironically - the two men mentioned in the above articles live in the same village!!!!

I agree with you, it looks to have been pre meditated but maybe his head wasnt in the right place at the time...thats really my point.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

In fact pictures on the event helped identify the person in question.

The chinese whispers I heard say pictures taken at the event helped identify him but he wasn't officially part of the event. Some very good detective work by a friend of the owner I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

what a dumb thing to do, ironically 1500 could have got him a damn nice bike.
    Cycling community in the area is relatively small really , I don't think names need to be named, the main thing Is the matter was dealt accordingly, the chap is down 1500 lids and lost a lot of future strava kudo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steo M

I'm 99% sure that fella who was selling bikes from his house on Done Deal was also selling bikes on another well known Irish website. I can't name the site as you tend to get barred on here for little or no reason.
    Anyway, I remember the name & his avatar was an advertisement for his valeting business. He wasn't just selling a few bikes for a bit of pocket money but running it like an online second hand bike shop. I had a look & his a/c has been pulled from the site. He did well just get getting a slap on the wrist for his crimes as he was a right wheeler dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I agree with you, it looks to have been pre meditated but maybe his head wasnt in the right place at the time...thats really my point.

Marty.

His head certainly wouldnt be in the right place if he had been caught at the time of stealing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement