Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding Bikes

Options
  • 29-09-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Hey.

Have people noticed a lot of these folding bikes going around the place.

Anybody have one.

I'm thinking about buying one for work, if I could bring it on the luas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm going to move this to cycling, its not really dublin city related

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You can bring folding bikes on the Luas, and onto any train for no extra charge. You're also allowed to bring them onto buses, but it's best to cover them up if you do, so the driver can't see that it's a bike, since they can be under the misapprehension that folding bikes are included in the general ban on bikes being carried onto buses. I leave a large garbage bag folded up in my folding bike's travel bag for the purposes of this concealment, after being kicked off a Dublin Bus a few years ago.

I have a Brompton, which is pricey but a good ride and a great folder.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm thinking about buying one for work, if I could bring it on the luas.
    That's the whole idea

The most famous brand is Brompton

There are one or two regulars in the forum who use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Can these travel as standard luguage on aeroplanes? so I can avoid the 40euro each way charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can bring folding bikes on the Luas, and onto any train for no extra charge. You're also allowed to bring them onto buses, but it's best to cover them up if you do, so the driver can't see that it's a bike, since they can be under the misapprehension that folding bikes are included in the general ban on bikes being carried onto buses. I leave a large garbage bag folded up in my folding bike's travel bag for the purposes of this concealment, after being kicked off a Dublin Bus a few years ago.

I have a Brompton, which is pricey but a good ride and a great folder.
    Technically they should be covered/ in a bag on Irish rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Technically they should be covered/ in a bag on Irish rail.
    Ah, that rings a bell. But I don't think they'll throw you off the train for not having the folding bike covered, whereas I most definitely was thrown off a Dublin Bus for carrying something that was too readily identified as a bicycle.

Advertisement