Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga and cycling

Options
  • 26-09-2012 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Can it help with flexibility that is relevant to cycling?

I need to improve my flexibility and I was thinking of doing some yoga - would it / could it work?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd say it would help a fair bit.

Yoga also builds core strength which would be fairly important on the bike for holding you in a good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Seaneh says, core strength is one of the pillars of Yoga and is really good for preventing fatigue on the bike by improving the efficiency of your pedal stroke, which helps especially with climbing and sprinting.

Flexibility not so much, except that it might help avoid stress injuries, but I think cycling injuries are relatively rare except for poor bike fit and crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Seaneh wrote: »

Yoda also builds core strength which would be fairly important on the bike for holding you in a good position.

This would definitely sort you right out: yoda-luke1.jpg?7794fe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I've been doing Bikram yoga since November. I've noticed a difference in a few ways. It's helped with core strength, it's easier getting on the drops and just with overall comfort on my cycle. It will help flexibility anyway which is always a good thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definitely helps, our cycling club are all doing it and I notice it after a few weeks a better core.
    Its tough going though!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Jawgap wrote: »
    Can it help with flexibility that is relevant to cycling?

I need to improve my flexibility and I was thinking of doing some yoga - would it / could it work?

Did yoga to help with intense shoulder pains caused by poor posture on the bike. Helped immeasurably. Had to give it up as I couldn't afford the lessons anymore, but I still have a regime I do every second morning. As said above it helped a lot for sitting on the drops, which I do all the time racing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Anybody know of any online guide or videos for cyclists doing yoga?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

i go to yoga and pilates classes once a week..there are free classes if you are a member of Ben Dunnes gym......it can be tough going at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Yoga won't do you any harm but think kettle bell classes will do more for your cycling , helped improve my climbing significantly this year. . Your using your core for nearly all the movements

Advertisement