Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi

Options
  • 30-10-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

If a taxi firm offered a third of all fares at all times would you use it and would you use taxis more? How sensitive to price are taxi users?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Well there's a taxi company offering 20% off the metered fare at all times and I use it all the time... so yes I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Well there's a taxi company offering 20% off the metered fare at all times and I use it all the time... so yes I would!

Ditto, If I need a cab in advance I only book cabs with 8202020 now. Shame there's not cabs on the street advertising the same deal, if there were i'd only get those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I work for 8202020 good to see return customers.

Ps I advertise 20% off on my cab all day everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Ditto, If I need a cab in advance I only book cabs with 8202020 now. Shame there's not cabs on the street advertising the same deal, if there were i'd only get those :)

Maybe if cabs had a sign on their taxi sign( that sounds weird!) that indicated that they were willing to to do a deal at at least 25% discount to fare price more people would use taxis. Maybe overpaid taxi regulator needs to lower fares if it would mean more fares fo taxi men/women.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

have a look a the list of the prices of other taxis around europe and let me khow what u think and as for u blahblah06 most of ur cars never turn up and the rest of us do the work for u (at full price)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

james116 wrote: »
    have a look a the list of the prices of other taxis around europe and let me khow what u think and as for u blahblah06 most of ur cars never turn up and the rest of us do the work for u (at full price)

Another bitter driver, the ranks are full of your kind and do you know what, nobody cares. Your actually quite sad.

lol brilliant. classic example as an arsehole taxi driver who is afraid of competition. Reduce your prices and you will keep your customers happy and you will be kept busy instead of sitting on ranks from a taxi driver to a taxi driver who understands our customer base. Be an arse to them and you will be out of a job.

Ps aint you the guy that posted a thread on the taxi forum giving out about me a few weeks back ?

this was it http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=2897.0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How does this fare reduction work when it comes to paying tax? If drivers are offering 20% off the metered fare, is that recorded on the meter as well? Or would Revenue assume that the full fare on the meter was received, and therefore taxable?

• Advertisement

as the saying go's if u work for nothing u will always be busy and its rare i am on ranks cos i have a lot of my own work (at full price)lol

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Thoie wrote: »
    How does this fare reduction work when it comes to paying tax? If drivers are offering 20% off the metered fare, is that recorded on the meter as well? Or would Revenue assume that the full fare on the meter was received, and therefore taxable?

AFAIK revenue don't read meters when assessing tax liability.

On the 30% discount thing .... imo it's a non runner. Daytime fares in particular are not really expensive that anyway. Eg.I took a taxi last week from Eden Quay to Artane Castle (about 6km). The fare came to €10.50 which I would consider quite reasonable. If it was discounted by 30% it would be €7.50. It just isn't possible to run a profitable taxi business charging those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

On the 30% discount thing .... imo it's a non runner. Daytime fares in particular are not really expensive that anyway. Eg.I took a taxi last week from Eden Quay to Artane Castle (about 6km). The fare came to €10.50 which I would consider quite reasonable. If it was discounted by 30% it would be €7.50. It just isn't possible to run a profitable taxi business charging those prices.

Maybe it would work if you offered a discount on fares over €x ?

While it's standard to work out wear and tear on a car based on mileage, etc., I'd imagine there is a greater percentage profit in a €20 fare than a €5 (but I'm open to correction).

Completely off topic, but why isn't the meter used for calculating income?

as the saying go's if u work for nothing u will always be busy and its rare i am on ranks cos i have a lot of my own work (at full price)lol

I'm not working for nothing taxi fares are to high and the hike was crazy of 8% at least we will always be busy with 20% I bet you your feeling it harder then me obviously are if ur complaining which is all you seem to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the company blahblah06 works for... and I'd be a regular taxi user, I don't drive so I get a taxi to the creche in the mornings with my daughter and never once had to phone an alternative company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I live in the city centre and have a car so the amount of times I book taxis in advance are very rare.

I most often flag a taxi down so sign writing advertising the discount would convince me to use them more often.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the company blahblah06 works for... and I'd be a regular taxi user, I don't drive so I get a taxi to the creche in the mornings with my daughter and never once had to phone an alternative company.

I think I know who u are. Very regular customer to 820

david wrote: »
    I live in the city centre and have a car so the amount of times I book taxis in advance are very rare.

I most often flag a taxi down so sign writing advertising the discount would convince me to use them more often.

the problem here with advertising otherr cab is how would u c it when ur flagging one down. From experience ppl just put there hand out.
    I even thought of getting a full body wrap but it doesn't seem viable

wow somebody with something other that air in there head on here somebody gets it at last.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    the problem here with advertising otherr cab is how would u c it when ur flagging one down. From experience ppl just put there hand out.
    I even thought of getting a full body wrap but it doesn't seem viable[/quote as i said to everybody last nite if u work for nothing u will allways be busy.

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I'm not working for nothing taxi fares are to high and the hike was crazy of 8% at least we will always be busy with 20% I bet you your feeling it harder then me obviously are if ur complaining which is all you seem to do
    i see the time on ur post was 3.51 where u working last nite cos i must be doing something right cos i was out tonite for dinner and only work monday to friday so i must be doing something right.and 1 more thing if u want to bring this down to name calling we can do that u was only be a short time in the game cos u think we are too dear u must have other income comeing in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i see the time on ur post was 3.51 where u working last nite cos i must be doing something right cos i was out tonite for dinner and only work monday to friday so i must be doing something right

Talking to the taxi driver who dropped me home at 5am :D last night, he said last night was almost as busy as new years eve, literally one of the busiest nights of all year and that he had done savage business.

Why wouldn't you have worked a night like last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would like it if a taxi thread could remain civil by my standards (by which I mean this one is already gone) for once. In other words, stop narking at each other and retrieve this one or I will close it.

I also have a zero tolerance for text speak.

so james116 and blahblah06 knock off the points scoring and knock off the textspeak, is that clear? Text speak is universally reviled across this site and in many places results in bans; that's if you don't get banned for trying to score points off one another.

ok no more txt talk

bk wrote: »
    Talking to the taxi driver who dropped me home at 5am :D last night, he said last night was almost as busy as new years eve, literally one of the busiest nights of all year and that he had done savage business.

i have a lot of my own work during the week so i don't have to work weekends and its always messie on nites like last nite.

bk wrote: »

Yup im the same work monday to friday 8 hours a day I like to enjoy my weekends as much as the next guy

i see the time on ur post was 3.51 where u working last nite cos i must be doing something right cos i was out tonite for dinner and only work monday to friday so i must be doing something right.and 1 more thing if u want to bring this down to name calling we can do that u was only be a short time in the game cos u think we are too dear u must have other income comeing in.

actually no i was at my bros house party if you must know. I am in the game 4 years actually I just use my head when it comes to it. Whats the point in complaining about it. As people have said here before they hate taxi drivers giving out. I personally listen to what the customer wants and needs and I believe this is why I am good at my job

i think then we will leave it at that so what do u think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I think you is both mad.

Anyway here's a question for you both to ponder.

Given that blahblah reckons that the 20% off is the next best thing to sliced bread, what effect ( if any ) does he think the proposed new company that's offering 25% of all fares is going to have?

Just how much discount will you be prepared to offer in a price war? 30% 40% maybe more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd imagine that it will go til the market finds equilibrium. When the drivers find that it is no longer worth their while to offer it then they will stop reducing their fares. Simples.

Advertisement