Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna buy a new decent mountain bike.

Options
  • 26-04-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new bike. Haven't had one since my last was nicked in town about 4 years ago, but I'm dying to get back into it. I'm not sure what sort of bike I'm looking for, other than that it has to be very capable off-road as that's where I'll mainly be using it. Price is another thing I haven't fully decided on yet, or whether it'll be new or 2nd hand.

I'm heading into Cycle Ways on Parnell St. on Saturday, followed by Cyclogical - can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? Keep in mind that I'm 6'4" tall!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Well if you want it for off-road then i think you should get a hardtail.Since your only starting again after four years a hardtail will help develop your skills a lot better than if you got a full sus.Also a hardtail can be used for other things like street,commuting etc where as a downhill bike cant.Will you be riding cross country or downhill or will you just be messing around in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It'll mainly be cross-country and messing around in the woods. I wouldn't really be into a full downhill bike as that's not what I'm going to be cycling for. But the hardtail idea sounds good as I won't be exclusively cycling on dirt roads either. At some stage I might stick a pair of road tyres on it and use it for a bit of commuting. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Have a look at whats available in those two shops and try to determine your budget. You're looking at about EUR500 for a decent off-road bike with a suspension fork. For your height you'll probably need a 21" frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

If you're 6'4", unless you're very skinny I might suggest a Kona Hoss - cross country hardtail but built stronger than most, without being a jump/downhill style bike. You'd be in the 1200yoyo range at a guess there though! Don't know what your budget is. There are better value bikes out there, so if you come back with more info then maybe i'd recommend soemthing completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I am 6'3" and from my own personal experience, I would never ride anything over 19" off road, as it feels too unwieldy and crotch clearence can be too close for comfort in an emergency stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm also 6'3". Mountain bike I have is 19", and I find it perfect for off-road.

Bro has a 21" frame and I much prefer the smaller bike for the reasons mockerydawg gives!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up putting a deposit on this one;

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/olympusXT.html

Got a good deal in Hollingsworth's in Kilmacud. Gorgeous looking bike, 20" frame, and I'm picking it up today. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Seems like a well specced bike, but careful of the shop you're buying it from. I know everyone has good and bad things to say about every bike shop, but the Hollingsworth in Kilmacud is beyond belief. I used to work in a premises beside the shop and I knew the owner and two mechanics in there. I NEVER would have left my bike to be seviced by them.
    If you think Halfords is bad, try this place. I had a wheel made, a 519 built on an LX hub by them, every spoke loosened after 2 weeks. So I brought it back, they wouldn't touch it. Cliff in Cyclogical rebuilt the wheel and it was grand.
    A mate got a fork replaced by them, it used the old 1" headset. 2 days of riding it to school, the stem was not tightened properly and loosened, resulting in him falling off and breaking his jaw. When he went back to them, they told him you they couldn't tighten it up anymore than they did. Why? Because they don't finish a job. Ever. Steer well clear if you can, they should only be allowed to sell fruit and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Fine looking bike. I'm guessing it it came in a good few yoyo's under my original Kona Hoss recommendation? Out of interest, can I ask how much? Give a ball park or the RRP if you don't feel like broadcasting the deal you got...

Advertisement