Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ripped off?

• 05-12-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

So little brother has a fixie. He got it for Christmas 2 years ago and it needed a bit of repairing. As part of his Christmas present the parents wanted to do it up (get new wheels and sprayed and just generally make it like a new bike).

So left it into a shop who said yeah we'll put new wheels new handle bar tape tyres the lot, we will have it looking brand new and we will charge 150. Parents said perfect we don't t mind paying.

Father went to collect the bike and nearly had a stroke! They put new tyres and tubes, new handle bar tape and fixed the back brake. And wanted 150! He wasn't happy and asked for a receipt. Here's the invoice details:

Bar tape and fitting - 23
    Service - 35
    Brake pads - 12
    Red/blue front and rear tyres - 58
    2 tubes 14

So altogether it was 142. But they didn't even service the bike! They didn't even give the bike a wipe down so I honestly don't know what the service was!

So are these rip off or standard prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Looks pretty standard. There is no obligation to clean a bike as part of a service.

There isn't much to servicing a fixed gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

So they quoted 150 and did what he wanted and when ye went to collect they charged 150. That nearly caused a stroke?

I'm lost tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What size and make/brand are the tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CptMackey wrote: »
    So they quoted 150 and did what he wanted and when ye went to collect they charged 150. That nearly caused a stroke?

I'm lost tbh.

He says they charged 35 for a service but thst they didn't do one.

Can you service brakes and drive train etc without cleaning them?

The breakdown doesn't seem to bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The price don't see bad. But I would say some of things should be in the service not extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Prices for all the bits seem about right if they are decent parts. Good tubes and tyres are going to be that price.

Only questionable bit is the fitting of the bar tape and what you got in terms of service. To me the service charge covers the fitting of the tubes, brakes and tyres after that it is whatever was agreed.

Did the place promise to replace the wheels? Promise to polish the bike? Is there a written estimate?

It sounds a lot but you would have spent that on the parts yourself and probably a hour doing the work. €35-45 not a lot to pay for someone's labour, overhead, experience, disposal etc.

All comess to what was discussed and agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luke92 wrote: »
    So little brother has a fixie. He got it for Christmas 2 years ago and it needed a bit of repairing. As part of his Christmas present the parents wanted to do it up (get new wheels and sprayed and just generally make it like a new bike).

So left it into a shop who said yeah we'll put new wheels new handle bar tape tyres the lot, we will have it looking brand new and we will charge 150. Parents said perfect we don't t mind paying.

Father went to collect the bike and nearly had a stroke! They put new tyres and tubes, new handle bar tape and fixed the back brake. And wanted 150! He wasn't happy and asked for a receipt. Here's the invoice details:

Bar tape and fitting - 23
    Service - 35
    Brake pads - 12
    Red/blue front and rear tyres - 58
    2 tubes 14

So altogether it was 142. But they didn't even service the bike! They didn't even give the bike a wipe down so I honestly don't know what the service was!

So are these rip off or standard prices?
    New wheels? Is that your misprint or did your parents think the €150 would include new wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

OP should have done it himself and saved the parents the extra cost.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

NBar wrote: »
    OP should have done it himself and saved the parents the extra cost.
    Not everyone knows how to do this sort of stuff. Yes these threads encourage posters to learn how to maintain their bikes rather than go to the expense of getting someone else to do it for them, but it's not a case of simply assuming a poster (or in this case their brother) actually already has the skills required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Bikes need servicing. After 2 years you have to accept that consumables will need replacing. You have to pay for them, and if you don't want to fit them yourself then you have to pay to have them fitted.

The one thing you might query alright is the 35 quid service, what exactly that entailed considering it's a fixie, but.... yeah, if he gets another 2 years riding for his 150 quid, it's money well spent imo

Edit - I dunno what kind of condition you left the bike into the shop in, most people seem to have no idea how to clean a bike, but it is a personal annoyance with me, getting a bike back with oily thumbprints on it. I keep my bikes clean and I don't expect mechanics to polish it, but at least run a rag over the frame before handing it back to the customer. Takes 20 seconds and is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Seems like a reasonable price (assuming the tyres and tape are decent makes) but I would also like to know what exactly the service entailed. However I wouldn't expect a bike shop to clean my bike, any more than I'd expect a mechanic to wash my car when I leave it in for a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It should also be borne in mind that much service work is 'invisible' such as headset, bottom bracket, brake/cable adjustment etc. particularly considering that in this case, it is not the owner/user of the bike who picked it up.

I know that I'm relieved of several hundred Euro when I get my car serviced but it doesn't really drive any differently from when I left it in. I just have to trust my mechanic and satisfy myself with the stamp in the service book and the computer reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm a bit stumped as to how this could be classed as a ripoff. All the prices for parts seem reasonable enough, and 35 for the labour involved in replacing tyres and tubes, bar tape and brake pads seems absolutely fine. Which part of the breakdown do you think was too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you ask for a service on a bicycle most shops I know of have a basic charge +parts, so looking at your list of prices I would say this is pretty standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If you ask for a service on a bicycle most shops I know of have a basic charge +parts, so looking at your list of prices I would say this is pretty standard.

Whats the usual cost then. Any links to price lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bee Cycles is one of the few to post up prices......

http://www.beecycles.net/workshop.php

As for the original query, I think the prices look reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

That is quite expensive but probably standard enough for a bike shop. My mate does mine, he is a semi pro and worked in a bike shop. He charged me 40 quid for 2 bikes there recently. One needed new break pads, break cables, bar tape and leaves both bikes shining. The same thing in a shop he said would have probably cost £180 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    That is quite expensive but probably standard enough for a bike shop. My mate does mine, he is a semi pro and worked in a bike shop. He charged me 40 quid for 2 bikes there recently. One needed new break pads, break cables, bar tape and leaves both bikes shining. The same thing in a shop he said would have probably cost £180 at least.

You can't compare mates rates to a brick and mortar store that has all the associated over heads of being a brick and mortar store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So the Op's family were quoted 150 and charged 8 euros less and the op thought it was a rip off?
    I ca get a car handwashed for 7 euros, so I'd still be a euro up on the quote if a clean bike was essential...

Out of curiosity how much was the bike new

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

should have bought new bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jawgap wrote: »
    Bee Cycles is one of the few to post up prices......

http://www.beecycles.net/workshop.php

As for the original query, I think the prices look reasonable.

I'm not going to trust anyone who uses Comic Sans! ;)

As for the OP - the prices don't seem unreasonable. Yes they could have used a rag to wipe down the frame but you could do that yourself easily. 7 each for tubes is expensive but it's the only expensive price I can see in the bill.

Spending some money on bicycle maintance course might have been better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

The joys of running a fixie, fashion items will always cost more to maintain due to the status of having them and parts etc will slmos always be over priced.

Bottom line is I hope he likes the work done and is happy with it and the cost is only a distance memory.

This idea of cost is the same with car repair as I have friends who work in main dealer garages and the amount of people who try and run their car on the cheap is crazy. It's all flash and no knickers with alot of wannabe expensive car owners.

You might have picked a better example than servicing cars.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/mechanic-sacked-after-claim-garage-28164/

I know its popularity has effected the cost of them. But wasn't the whole point of running a fixie originally low cost maintenance?

I think the issue really is asking for a clear breakdown before you agree to work. If thus informed you continue with the work thats ok. But it gives you the option of deciding to do something else.

Like paying 50% more and getting a brand new one which includes a warranty and servicing.

http://www.adverts.ie/fixies-singlespeed-bikes/prism-kuro-fixed-gear-xmas-deal-from-on-track/6963973
    http://www.adverts.ie/fixies-singlespeed-bikes/new-fixie-gear-urban-bicycle-fixed-bike/4041828

Or deciding you like you're old bike and paying for it to be brought up like a "brand new bike". Thats been customized with road dirt and grime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The joys of running a fixie, fashion items will always cost more to maintain due to the status of having them and parts etc will slmos always be over priced.

The components I use in my track bike are more or less the same price they were before fixies became more popular. It is way cheaper to run than my road bike - €26 for a Dura Ace sprocket is a lot cheaper than a cassette. Cranksets and chains are cheaper too. Same tyres as road bike and there are plenty of cheaper, shiny looking fixie parts available if purely choosing them for looks.

NJS stuff has gotten more pricy, but the average fixie rider isn't going to fork out on Sugino 75s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Bottom line is I hope he likes the work done and is happy with it and the cost is only a distance memory.

This idea of cost is the same with car repair as I have friends who work in main dealer garages and the amount of people who try and run their car on the cheap is crazy. It's all flash and no knickers with alot of wannabe expensive car owners.

Cost more than what? Fixies - good quality ones - are cheaper to maintain than road bikes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So the Op's family were quoted 150 and charged 8 euros less and the op thought it was a rip off?
    The OP was asking a question, not making a statement. I suspect though that the comments made in this thread have provided a response to that question in the negative;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement