Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheel imbalance.

Options
  • 01-10-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I went pick up a new mountain bike last week that I had ordered on the cycle to work scheme.
    When inspecting the bike I found a few little flaws that are to be fixed up.

One of them is with the back wheel.

I lifted the rear of the frame of the ground and gave the pedals a turn with my hand to let the rear freewheel. The rear of the bike seemed to judder like the wheel was imbalanced.

The wheel does not look buckled.

Surely it should run smooth.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Broken axel

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

likely to be rubbing on the brakes especially if it has disk brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Brakes seem to be ok. Shop assistant seems to think its normal. I thought I should seek a second opinion.

Broken axle? I will take off the wheel and turn the axle by hand tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Are you sure it isn't just the wheel reflector? If theres only one, it'll unbalance the wheel when you hold it off the ground but you wont notice it at all once your cycling.

If its bad enough that you do feel it on the road, I'd say theres definatly something wrong and would be bringing it back to the shop ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

This is normal enough. There is always a normal imbalance in bicycle wheels, factors such as valve post etc. It is very noticable when you lift back wheel off ground and spin at speed, especially on a sturddy wheel such as on a mountain bike. Even the wheel on my road bike behaves like this. It it imperceptible when cycling.
    So no worries..

• Advertisement
Advertisement