Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overcrowded buses

• 03-11-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved out to the crumlin area, and so far the buses i get in the morning seem to be so overflowed, that been the 151 or 77, like i know buses can be busy, but like this was on line of dangerous, I know some the other routes can get like this and surely busier routes shouldnt have the scheduling at peak hours like other routes.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

The number of buses down the Crumlin road from Tallaght were slashed earlier this year..
    Convoys of 1/3 full 46a's continue merrily down the N11 though, gotta take care of them rich folk..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Im assuming timetables are wrong for buses in crumlin, as wouldnt be as bad if they followed schedule, theirs desperate need for more buses in morning in the area.
    I used get 122 and 121 and they where rarely full like iv seen so far on my new trip. Im thinking of writing a complaint, and enquire about why its been cut so much, im suprised drivers will drive with passengers in their face squashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

manafana wrote: »
    im suprised drivers will drive with passengers in their face squashed.

Probably because the number of buses have been cut and they know that if they don't pick up the people there won't be another bus for ages and people won't be able to get to work on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mods, I'm moving this over from the Dublin City Forum because I think its more applicable here.

Throw it back if its not for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

Yeah we have less buses coming in from Tallaght now since Dublin Bus made all the cutbacks. They think everyone in Tallaght gets the Luas :rolleyes:

This is a typical example of how cuts in the service will put people back in their cars. Public Transport isn't comfortable anymore and people might wonder if they will be able to get on the bus in the first instance. Cue people getting back into their cars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Hi OP.

Contact info@dublinbus.ie and tell them what the issue is. If its a regular occurance and at the same stop every week day etc., Ringsend/Conyngham Road garage will be contacted about it.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

howiya wrote: »
    Yeah we have less buses coming in from Tallaght now since Dublin Bus made all the cutbacks. They think everyone in Tallaght gets the Luas :rolleyes:

Well maybe if people in Tallaght started paying the correct fare to travel past the luas and on into town the Dublin bus managers who sit in an office looking at figures would realise people actually travel into town from tallaght and therefore add more buses to the routes. As far as his concerned the bus is empty from the luas because most people pay minumum fare.

It is dangerous the way some drivers pack in the passengers alright, any standing passengers is dangerous really, As a bus driver myself I try to keep the standing passengers to 15, which I feel is most comfortable for all.
    Although you should hear the abuse I get when I say Im full, obviously when your standing at a frezzin cold bus stop, passenger safety is the least of your worries, sure look at the dart, they like sardines when nobody there to tell them its full. Ive often thought to myself animals are transported in more comfortable conditions.

On a sad note rumours of more cutbacks after christmas, goodluck.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you looked at alternative routes? See www.mkmap.com/dublin
    stop wrote: »
    The number of buses down the Crumlin road from Tallaght were slashed earlier this year..
    Convoys of 1/3 full 46a's continue merrily down the N11 though, gotta take care of them rich folk..
    The 46a may be more profitable. If 20 buses carry X thousand people per hour on route 77 compared to 20 buses on route 46a carrying 2X thousand people per hour, as a bus manager, where are you going to put your buses.

I imagine much of the problemis the lack of bus lanes in Greenhills and Crumlin.

spareman wrote: »
    Well maybe if people in Tallaght started paying the correct fare to travel past the luas and on into town the Dublin bus managers who sit in an office looking at figures would realise people actually travel into town from tallaght and therefore add more buses to the routes. As far as his concerned the bus is empty from the luas because most people pay minumum fare.

Bit of a generalisation no? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Bit of a generalisation no? :rolleyes:
    Yes, Im sorry, I should have said "some people".
    But I was just trying to make the point that these decisions by managers are based on figures, computer print outs from buses. Other examples are the 47 route, Due to the high number of €1.60 tickets being purchased around stillorgan area on the 46A/145 routes, The Manager thought it be a good idea to terminate the 47 at Donnybrook, now we see empty 47 buses driving from stillorgan to donnybrook.
    Why they don't have more ticket checkers is beyond me? 1st thing I would do if I became manager is flood the city with ticket checkers, just for a few weeks to get the message out, They must be losing millions every year due to fare evasion.

• Advertisement

spareman wrote: »
    Why they don't have more ticket checkers is beyond me? 1st thing I would do if I became manager is flood the city with ticket checkers, just for a few weeks to get the message out, They must be losing millions every year due to fare evasion.

I've never understood this. I use both the Luas and the Bus depending on my destination. If they can have inspectors on the Luas I don't see why they can't have them on the buses....

Surely they can use these computer print outs to target areas where fare evasion is deemed to be high

Victor wrote: »
    Have you looked at alternative routes? See www.mkmap.com/dublin

The 46a may be more profitable. If 20 buses carry X thousand people per hour on route 77 compared to 20 buses on route 46a carrying 2X thousand people per hour, as a bus manager, where are you going to put your buses.

I imagine much of the problemis the lack of bus lanes in Greenhills and Crumlin.

That's the thing, they don't have the same number of buses per hour. 46a/145 corridor has far too many services on it compared to other parts of the city. It is not fair that someone has to stand from town to Tallaght when N11 buses are frequently near empty and in convoy.
    But hey, it's easy to treat people from Crumlin/Tallaght this way, sure who gives a shit about them.

I will agree on the buslanes though. Recently Walkinstown Road (or Avenue?) was dug up for weeks to have a fraction of it at either end given a dedicated buslane. Helpful but not enough

That's the thing, they don't have the same number of buses per hour. 46a/145 corridor has far too many services on it compared to other parts of the city. It is not fair that someone has to stand from town to Tallaght when N11 buses are frequently near empty and in convoy.
    But hey, it's easy to treat people from Crumlin/Tallaght this way, sure who gives a shit about them.

I will agree on the buslanes though. Recently Walkinstown Road (or Avenue?) was dug up for weeks to have a fraction of it at either end given a dedicated buslane. Helpful but not enough

Great new road surface though. The old road was in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

I've never understood this. I use both the Luas and the Bus depending on my destination. If they can have inspectors on the Luas I don't see why they can't have them on the buses....

Simple math would tell you that ticket inspection on DB's fleet would be far more labour intensive than on the Luas fleet. DB have around 1,000 buses most of which are in operation during the two peak periods. RPA have about 48 trams.

Also I suspect it's a lot easier for RPA enforcement to spot repeat offenders, especially ones who have given fake names and addresses.

markpb wrote: »
    Simple math would tell you that ticket inspection on DB's fleet would be far more labour intensive than on the Luas fleet. DB have around 1,000 buses most of which are in operation during the two peak periods. RPA have about 48 trams.

Also I suspect it's a lot easier for RPA enforcement to spot repeat offenders, especially ones who have given fake names and addresses.

As I said in the part of my post that you didn't quote, ticket inspection could be targeted in areas where the computer printouts a previous poster referred to suggest that the appropriate fare isn't being paid.

Yes they have a bigger fleet but they could still make some effort at ticket inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The Revenue Protection Unit (RPU) do actually check buses every day - I've been checked twice in the last fortnight.

I've been checked several times on a 46a lately, but never on a 77.. odd that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've been checked several times on a 46a lately, but never on a 77.. odd that :D

I've been checked several times recently on the 78A. They board in groups of 3 generally, and they're afraid of no-one!

They are very thorough too. Checking DSW passes by phone etc. They even asked to see my PTI (staff travel) photo-card. Never had that happen on DB before!

On a related note, there have been plain clothes Gardai on the 78A quite a bit recently. Upstairs, at the back, and looking nothing like cops. Until they start searching and arresting people. Very satisfying to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

BendiBus wrote: »
    I've been checked several times recently on the 78A. They board in groups of 3 generally, and they're afraid of no-one!

They are very thorough too. Checking DSW passes by phone etc. They even asked to see my PTI (staff travel) photo-card. Never had that happen on DB before!

On a related note, there have been plain clothes Gardai on the 78A quite a bit recently. Upstairs, at the back, and looking nothing like cops. Until they start searching and arresting people. Very satisfying to see!
    Oh Hallelujah. If they're arresting those f-ing hoodies/junkies that get on the the 78A just to light up smokes then Praise the Lord Sweet Jesus. FINALLY at LOOOONG last!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I was checked again this morning on an outbound Lucan Road service - the inspectors are out there. Several students travelling without valid student travelcards were caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Unfortunately I do not have the pleasure of living near the 46A bus route but I did work near there and dropped wife off every morning to catch bus on N11 around Leopardstown area.

Despite the frequency of buses (it's not just 46a on N11) usually 2-3 buses would sail past absolutely stuffed and when one did stop it was a squeeze.

I am not saying Tallaght etc does not need extra buses but in my unbiased opinion in the morning commute anyhow the N11 is serviced correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

They have been out in Tallaght the last few days doing Smoking/Ticket checks on routes out here. Well done lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The entire issue of Revenue Protection is an area which most Irish Public Transport entities would rather not focus on.

It is really more to do with our National Physche to Rules & Regulations,an attitude which is all pervasive across the social grouping.

The mechanics of Revenue Protection on the BAC system is actually some what stronger than that on Luas,largely due to the far better framed set of Bye-Laws which govern it`s operation.

However,BAC have in the past had some costly experiences in the Courts when Judges found against the company in what appeared cut ,n,dried cases.

This led to a new form of Revenue Protection being applied which centres on a "Blitz" of a particular corridor rather than random day to day checking across the system.

BTW,by far the most common form of Revenue Transgression is the abuse/misuse of Student Ticketing by Students themselves and by those claiming to be students.
    No Student ID
    Fake Student ID
    Outdated Student ID
    Tickets Defaced/Mutilated
    The list is substantial and does lead to the issue of a Standard Fare.

The Standard Fare is a very effective method of applying Revenue Protection without incurring vast Legal Pitfalls.
    Essentially if you board a Bus and enquire of the Driver what the Fare is he/she should say "€50 Please ".....cos that`s what it is...:)

However,in return for the customer agreeing to the company`s Conditions of Carriage the company applies a discount which just so happens to be the fares charged by distance regieme.

So if you do not have a ticket when an Inspector calls you will be issued with a demand for that €50.
    It`s surprising just how many people will pay the €50 rather than involve the Gardai and go through a Legal process of any kind.

However,at the opposite end of the scale are a substantial number who could not care less and will happily stand their ground secure in the knowledge that their social status will count for more in court than the nature of their offence..eg...The Probation Act,Community Service Order or €5 fine or contribution to Court Poor Box.

Revenue duties are now also restricted generally to daylight hours and to teams of 4 which also reduces their effectivity.
    I contend that this has led to a Public Perception that the Company has lost control of it`s own services and that encourages the total meltdown which leads to the Monkeys taking over the Zoo as has occurred in several areas of Dublin over the years.

The Various companies need to get real with their Self-Regard and to send a strong message to ALL customers that the Public Service nature will be protected and that legitimate customers interests and comfort WILL be prioritized over and above that of anti-social types keen to avail of stuff for nothing.

Thius far its only DART which has led on this with it`s Security Teams although Luas was forced belatedly to adopt a similar position on the Red Line recently....not very PC BUT very visible and appreciated by the MAJORITY of customers who are thoroughly fed-up with being abused and taken for granted by the "disadvantaged".

At some future point Bus Atha Cliath will HAVE to move to protect the integrity of its own services and when it does lets hope it will be in a structured well planned manner along the lines of the Paris RATP`s "Agents Sureté" or,my preferred option an initiative pionered in London,the Transport Operational Command Unit which is a co-ordinated dedicated Police unit for Public Transport related duties only.

However I will probably see a squadron of porkers flying high above Leinster House before any such wild stuff is thought good enough for Irish sensitivities. :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement