Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your taxi gets stopped at a garda checkpoint

Options
  • 25-10-2009 6:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

And is told to wait with maybe 3-4 other cars as the garda does random breathalysing for all the drivers.
    So you as the fare paying customer will have to wait a few minutes.

Now, this has happened me twice.
    Both times as we got directed to the side of the road I insisted the driver switch off the meter. I didn't see why I'd be charged for this

The first time the driver agreed and stopped the meter and then started it again as we continued past the checkpoint.
    The second time the driver said no way, it's random breath testing and it's all part of the journey. It went back and forth for a few minutes, got heated and in the end I paid the extra few euro.

I can see it from both sides and I can't figure out what the procedure is. :confused:
    There's a few taximen on boards, do you know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Should be something that is absorbed by taximan. If the car got a puncture on the way home, would the taximan charge the passenger for the new tyre and keep the meter running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if it was a problem you shoud have paid up to that point and hailed another one.... or the same one after the test was finished :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Has happened to me before and the taxi driver refused to stop the meter.

I paid the fare, waited for my 10c change and jumped into another taxi straight away. Incidentally I was only on the quays at Guinness’s in Dublin and the fair would have been €30, instead all he got was just under €5.

No time for taxi men so I don’t take any crap from them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd say the taxi driver should, though as part of the journey I can see their argument. They wouldn't be there if not for the journey, but it is the driver that the gardai are checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id say once the taxi has made a pickup they should be directed to continue without being delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

elexes wrote: »
    id say once the taxi has made a pickup they should be directed to continue without being delayed.

i disagree. Taxidrivers should be tested same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Has happened to me before and the taxi driver refused to stop the meter.

I paid the fare, waited for my 10c change and jumped into another taxi straight away. Incidentally I was only on the quays at Guinness’s in Dublin and the fair would have been €30, instead all he got was just under €5.

No time for taxi men so I don’t take any crap from them.

Can you explain exactly why a taxi meter should be stopped if it stopped for the 1-2 minutes a random garda check takes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

IMO its part of the journey just like traffic lights, congestion, diversions and the metre should stay running. A puncture or a breakdown is not a like with like comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't see why the taxi driver should have to pause the meter. It's part and parcel of the journey. The delay is not the fault of the taxi driver. Would you expect the driver to stop the meter in situations where the Gardai stop traffic to allow a funeral, protest march etc. through or where banksmen stop traffic in roadworks scenarios or where people in charge of animals delay traffic or where customs officials wish to check the vehicle?
    Should be something that is absorbed by taximan. If the car got a puncture on the way home, would the taximan charge the passenger for the new tyre and keep the meter running?
    That's a ridiculous comparison. The customer expects to travel without defects to the vehicle. Any delays caused by such defects should not be incurred by the customer. Similarly, if the driver has to refuel, the meter should also be stopped.

Delays in traffic movement are an entirely different matter and are not the fault of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

im a cab driver and have been stopped 3 times and will always stop the meter and start it again when all is finished. some drivers cause havoc over what maybe only 2 euro. I find it hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I can't see how it's any different to being stuck in heavy traffic etc, I'd imagine the taxi driver would be in the right to keep it running. Having said that, I would think that most taxi drivers would stop it out of courtesy, or knock it off a little early at the end of the journey to make up for it.

What's the story if the taxi driver doesn't have change and you've to go to an ATM? I was getting a taxi a few weeks ago with a friend's father, I very rarely get him because his prices are ridiculously high anyways. He charges me €20 for a journey that usually costs me €15, I told him when I got into the car that I only had €100 notes in case he didn't have change. He said he didn't so stopped at an ATM and left the meter running the whole time. I wasn't bothered saying anything to him, but I'm just wondering technically would you be entitled to ask him to stop it in that situation?

to me thats a tricky one. to be fair no cab driver will have change over 50 euro in case of robbery and of course very hard to earn much more than that on a night these days. So if he took your 50 or 100 he would have to stop of at a shop after he drops you off..
    It is very annoying you my have change to give someone then then next 3 jobs do the same thing were not shops and dont carry the change of that kind of money. people should know that before getting a cab. theres nothing worse then been handed 50 euro for a 4.10 fare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would not use your friends father he is a vulture

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would have thought that the Taxi Regulators Office would have some regulations to address this topic ?

She has certainly a skip-full of such regulations to cover every other possible occurrence such as displaying flags or religious artifacts etc etc....give her a tinkle...? :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would not use your friends father he is a vulture

Oh I know, I hardly ever get him, however my boyfriend lives in the backarse of nowhere and it's really hard to explain it to taxi drivers, I've a couple of regular guys who know where it is (and don't completely rip me off!), but I occasionally need to ring him when none of the others are free.
    blahblah06 wrote: »
    people should know that before getting a cab.

Ah now to be fair I told him as soon as I got into the car, and paid the full price including the time spent at the ATM without complaining! Believe me it's not too often that I'd be carrying high-value notes like that, unfortunately! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

2 or more people said they get out of the taxi and get another one.

would that not be more expensive ?

looks good on the surface but theres that €3.50* charge every time you just get into the car.

*this figure is most likely wrong, twas a while since i was in a taxi.

What's the story if the taxi driver doesn't have change and you've to go to an ATM? ....... ............ I'm just wondering technically would you be entitled to ask him to stop it in that situation?
    There is no legal obligation to give change. It's given as a courtesy. The onus is on the customer to tender the correct price. The same applies to shops, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, hotels etc.

The taxi driver would be entitled to keep the meter running if he wished.

Ah now to be fair I told him as soon as I got into the car, and paid the full price including the time spent at the ATM without complaining! Believe me it's not too often that I'd be carrying high-value notes like that, unfortunately! :rolleyes:

I understand you told him so what else could he do but go to an atm. even in a shop they frown upon you handing that kind of money. I think the cab driver was right in what he done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had a driver tell me before that he couldn't stop his meter without it resetting but knocked the equivalent amount off for the time it took him to get diesel one night; I don't think he was lying for the sake of it so there might be some meter models that can't be paused?

Similarly I've had a driver who left the meter running when he went to get diesel, didn't adjust the fare for it, didn't even offer me change (small amount, admittedly) and didn't have a working receipt printer; taxi regulator complaint went in the next morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've had the meter left on while the driver got petrol which took a few minutes. We said nothing when he got back in but when he told us the fare at our destination we told him we're knocking a few quid of due to him leaving the meter on. He nearly had a stroke, the abuse he tried to give us, we just told him where to go. This was back in the bad old days before deregulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MYOB wrote: »
    I've had a driver tell me before that he couldn't stop his meter without it resetting but knocked the equivalent amount off for the time it took him to get diesel one night; I don't think he was lying for the sake of it so there might be some meter models that can't be paused?

This is true, some meters are not as feature laden as others. Generally, if I need to run in for juice on a fare, I'll advise in advance (It's stop for fuel or push a 2 tonne car :D) and I will knock off €1 and put the bare minimum into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

MYOB wrote: »

Similarly I've had a driver who left the meter running when he went to get diesel, didn't adjust the fare for it, didn't even offer me change (small amount, admittedly) and didn't have a working receipt printer; taxi regulator complaint went in the next morning...

More likely he had either

a) Had a new meter installed recently and hadn't read the manual
    b) Was renting/borrowing the taxi and hadn't read the manual

To put it another way I don't know of any meters that you can't stop and start if needed to ( as long as you know which buttons to press! )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Had one guy spend the whole journey with his phone on loudspeaked in his hand, the drove around a round about 3 times because he couldn't follow the markings on the road and wouldn't listen to me telling him where to go!

Fare came to 21 odd euro I gave him 20 and he went mad, I just told him he was lucky I was paying him at all and walked off.

In retrospect I should have asked to get out when he answered his phone and not paid a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Can you explain exactly why a taxi meter should be stopped if it stopped for the 1-2 minutes a random garda check takes?

Last time I was in a taxi that was stopped for a garda check, it was more like 7-10 mins, by the time they got through the 10/15 cars ahead of us.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I will knock off €1 and put the bare minimum into the tank.
    Would you not refuel between fares and why on earth would you put the bare minimum in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If a taxi has been doing runs all around the city centre all night there are only two petrol stations in the entire 'city centre' - and this was one until a few weeks back when the Amiens St. one reopened! Its justifiable enough that a driver might not have enough fuel for a jaunt out to north Kildare / north Wicklow / south Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mizhell

mikemac wrote: »
    And is told to wait with maybe 3-4 other cars as the garda does random breathalysing for all the drivers.
    So you as the fare paying customer will have to wait a few minutes.

Now, this has happened me twice.
    Both times as we got directed to the side of the road I insisted the driver switch off the meter. I didn't see why I'd be charged for this

The first time the driver agreed and stopped the meter and then started it again as we continued past the checkpoint.
    The second time the driver said no way, it's random breath testing and it's all part of the journey. It went back and forth for a few minutes, got heated and in the end I paid the extra few euro.

I can see it from both sides and I can't figure out what the procedure is. :confused:
    There's a few taximen on boards, do you know?

I would say that the best thing to do to clarify your rights regarding this particular situation, is contact the gardai or the taxi regulators office
    I have never expected a customer to pay for hold ups that are legally my responsibility like stopping for diesel or changing a tyre and I have always taken more off the fare for inconvenience caused but when it comes to something like this it is unavoidable, so I'm sorry if you felt short changed but your argument here I believe is with the procedures of the law

Spook_ie wrote: »
    More likely he had either

a) Had a new meter installed recently and hadn't read the manual
    b) Was renting/borrowing the taxi and hadn't read the manual

To put it another way I don't know of any meters that you can't stop and start if needed to ( as long as you know which buttons to press! )

I had a driver last weekend who also had to stop for fuel and in trying to pause the meter managed to knock a few extras on it (Which he didn't even try to charge me, thankfully!), I think the "manual" reason for the previous driver is probably true now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

In fairness, the only reason the taxi driver was stopped at that point was because he was driving you home

• Advertisement
Advertisement