Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite bike shops...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Just been to the shop and a note pinned to the door states they are looking for a new premises. Very sad. My favourite bike shop. I live on the North side and travel over there as the service was so good.

They should open a shop North side!

Have used Fitzcycles since they opened and was always happy with their sales and service. Bought 6 bikes from them there over the years (2 for me + four family bikes) and was talking to them a couple of weeks ago before they closed when the official line was NAMA wanted a huge rent increase they couldn't afford so were left with no choice but to up sticks and find a new location.

The veg shop next door is also "for rent" but the shop must have a longer or more established lease as they are not affected.

Although Fitzcycles were literally in the process of re-furbishing the shop (just re-organising display layout etc, nothing too heavy) and thus it felt genuine that this came as a surprise to them I found it hard to believe that any owner, particularly a politically sensitive owner such as NAMA would be so firm on their rent demand and give them such little time to move out. I get that NAMA has to try and secure the best market rent they can on behalf of the taxpayer etc but I don't get that they are prepared to put taxpaying jobs at risk to do so and wouldn't have granted them an extra 6 months to get a new premises sourced and a smooth transition of the business facilitated.

My concerns/suspicions/paranoia that the root problem of them closing down wasn't NAMA and that the situation isn't as stated on the note on the door (that they are looking for a new premises and to be back open elsewhere ASAP) has only been heightened by the fact that they no longer seem to have a Facebook page and their website https://www.fitzcycles.ie has been taken down.

If I owned the business and found myself suddenly facing relocation and having to find a new premises I'd be reaching out to my customer base to reassure them we'll be back up and running ASAP and to ask them for suggestions if they know of premises which might be suitable. I'd also do whatever it took to find some sort of pop up location just to keep some visibility and the brand alive and I'd do the same for servicing i.e. just get some space somewhere in the locality (Sandyford industrial estate is close by) where customers could continue to have their bikes services etc.

Customer loyalty is a very perishable asset. It doesn't take a lot to keep it ticking over in times of adversity but to disappear overnight and take down your Facebook page and website at the same time whilst leaving a note on your old premises door saying you are searching for new premises just doesn't add up.

I hope I'm wrong but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

C3PO wrote: »
    Service (especially MTBs) - Expert Cycles

second Expert Cycles Rathfarnham..

Not sure where else I would go for MTB suspension servicing, Wheel building, Cyclocross stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

New favorite bike shop...

Bee Cycles in Dolphins Barn. Sound guy, professional & good for a bit of banter... I went there because I was told he is handy with hub geared bikes, (I might have made a balls of doing some stuff myself). Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

bedlam wrote: »
    Fitzcycles have since shutdown for good, went into liquidation on the 24th May

481698.jpg

I'm upset that this is the outcome but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually, anybody know where Cliff is these days (formerly of everywhere?)

+1

If I'm in the market for a new bike I'll text Cliff to find out where he is these days and go there. Over the years I've bought 8-9 bikes from him either myself or for a family member or friend. He's good people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Fitzcycles I liked because they did Cuda bikes which were aluminum kids bikes which were good quality bikes and a half way house to the more expensive frog bikes. Bought a few there.

They also some brands that other shops weren't doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I found the mechanics in 360 really good. Well, Tomas to be specific, he serviced my Scott last year and the attention to detail was to be admired and not pushing me to spend more

I'll second 360Cycles (Clontarf), I was recently in there after a seatpost binder bolt which they ordered for me. It was nice to listen to one of the mechanics explaining & demonstrating to a customer how to use their pump with presta valves. They seemed busy, which is great to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    New favorite bike shop...

Bee Cycles in Dolphins Barn. Sound guy, professional & good for a bit of banter... I went there because I was told he is handy with hub geared bikes, (I might have made a balls of doing some stuff myself). Fair play to him.

Don't think he visits these parts anymore but great to see him doing well in the bigger unit too.

Many bike shops closer to home for me, but Dara is the only one I'll leave my bike with. Good banter, good mechanic, good turnaround time, no messing - fixes up what needs to be fixed and runs it and cost by you before doing it unlike what I experienced with a bigger bike shop who gave me a serious bill shock when I turned up to pick up my bike after a service :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 barrb

I am really shocked that fitzcycles is gone! They had really good customer base and excellent customer service. I wonder what happened?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like the owners (possibly a NAMA owned one from back in the day) decided to f*ck over a successful local Business in search of insane rents. I seen what they were asking for on the paper. It's borderline criminal that NAMA can sell off property at cents on the euro and then screw over local businesses for what on their books will be nothing and being honest, will be unsustainable in the next downward part of the economic cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looks like the owners (possibly a NAMA owned one from back in the day) decided to f*ck over a successful local Business in search of insane rents. I seen what they were asking for on the paper. It's borderline criminal that NAMA can sell off property at cents on the euro and then screw over local businesses for what on their books will be nothing and being honest, will be unsustainable in the next downward part of the economic cycle.

It’s criminal what they’ve done.
    They had a fire sale and disposed of assets that laters sold for many times what they sold for.

The close down successful domestic SME.

They offloaded apartments in bulk rather than selling to individual family’s.

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/retail-units-for-rent/old-church-lower-kilmacud-road-stillorgan-dublin-829670

60k a year rent.
    Say mark up on bike is 20%
    Average bike 1000.

That’s one bike sale a day to cover rent alone. Before tax , wages, insurance , electricity, commercial rates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Trojan wrote: »
    +1

If I'm in the market for a new bike I'll text Cliff to find out where he is these days and go there. Over the years I've bought 8-9 bikes from him either myself or for a family member or friend. He's good people.
    As per page 1 of this thread, he's in Harry's Bikes Clonskeagh.

Advertisement