Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Max area that a robo mower can maintain

Options
  • 24-07-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I have a husky 430x on my own patch for past 4 seasons and could not be happier with it. Keep lawn looking tip top. Freddie cuts for 2 hrs per day, on a lawn that is a tad over 1000sq meters. Thats 2 hrs out of total of 24. Or in % thats 8.5% of total available time. So Freddie is sitting on his arse 92% of the time. Not a very efficient use of resources in any ones books. I took the liberty of monitoring Freddie for 10 min while he was cutting to see what exactly does he do. I know the stats dat on the mower tells me how long he is working for and how long is he searching for the station and coming in/out. So I wanted to know how much time of this 2 hrs is he actually cutting grass. So over the 10 min I timed him counting only the time he was moving straight forward mowing the grass. As opposed to bumping into stuff, reversing and starting again. I know he is still spinning the blades while reversing but he is really just doubling back on what he has already traveled over so its not fresh ground he's covering. He was actually moving forward only 6:30 of the 10 min. So over course of 2hrs thats prob just 1.5 hrs hes actually cutting over fresh grass.

So. As part of an experiment, rather than listening to what dealers are saying about what area a mower can cover I have got a cheap flymo 1200 ( Reccomended max area around 500 sq m ) and I am going to have him mow till he cant mow no more down at local field. Watch this space as he has over 10,000 m to cover. Will he just burn out from exhaustion? I calculate that if he can mow for 16hrs a day, charge for 8 hrs then he will not be far away from managing to keep the grass cut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a husky 430x on my own patch for past 4 seasons and could not be happier with it. Keep lawn looking tip top. Freddie cuts for 2 hrs per day, on a lawn that is a tad over 1000sq meters. Thats 2 hrs out of total of 24. Or in % thats 8.5% of total available time. So Freddie is sitting on his arse 92% of the time. Not a very efficient use of resources in any ones books. I took the liberty of monitoring Freddie for 10 min while he was cutting to see what exactly does he do. I know the stats dat on the mower tells me how long he is working for and how long is he searching for the station and coming in/out. So I wanted to know how much time of this 2 hrs is he actually cutting grass. So over the 10 min I timed him counting only the time he was moving straight forward mowing the grass. As opposed to bumping into stuff, reversing and starting again. I know he is still spinning the blades while reversing but he is really just doubling back on what he has already traveled over so its not fresh ground he's covering. He was actually moving forward only 6:30 of the 10 min. So over course of 2hrs thats prob just 1.5 hrs hes actually cutting over fresh grass.

So. As part of an experiment, rather than listening to what dealers are saying about what area a mower can cover I have got a cheap flymo 1200 ( Reccomended max area around 500 sq m ) and I am going to have him mow till he cant mow no more down at local field. Watch this space as he has over 10,000 m to cover. Will he just burn out from exhaustion? I calculate that if he can mow for 16hrs a day, charge for 8 hrs then he will not be far away from managing to keep the grass cut.

Interesting experiment, what is the actual price difference between the 430x and the Flymo?
    I don't doubt that a lot of automowers are way over specced for what they actually need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Won’t the battery life diminish over time like all batteries. So 16 hours today will be 14 in 6 months, and 12 in a year if your lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

How long can the flymo mow for before it needs to recharge, and how long does a full charge take?

I suspect the main difference in pricing is down to the batteries and the software. Everything else in the mowers should be pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Price diff is approx £1500K, give or take a £1 or two. The flymo 1200 are 500 new I think. If it managed to keep the grass cut and only lasted a year I would think it be a very hard for a husky dealer to sell one of those extra large robo mowers I have seen installed on some football pitches. Hell, the current mower on the pitch cost in the region of 18K !! Two flymo 1200s would defo maintain a pitch. Is there any max usage limits which if exceeded would void a warranty on one of these mowers ( of any make ) if it were exceeded I wonder? Anyways. Watch this space. Will see if can get this thing going :)

Advertisement