Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Do you want to go for a b550 motherboard because you know you'll use the PCIE gen 4 or because you're trying to future proof? 200 quid is fairly steep for a motherboard. If you went with something a bit cheaper such as b450 you could put that saved money towards a better GPU such as an RTX 2060. An ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming for instance would save you 50 quid and is still b550. Or you could use the money to get a 1TB SSD. That 1660 super seems a bit expensive as well

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Joe_Soap

Was thinking more about future proofing. How about this? i've swapped the motherboard and GPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£153.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.40 @ Alza)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£82.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.88 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£309.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.99 @ Currys PC World)
    Total: £924.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-19 20:32 BST+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Joe_Soap wrote: »
    Was thinking more about future proofing. How about this? i've swapped the motherboard and GPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£153.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.40 @ Alza)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£82.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.88 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£309.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.99 @ Currys PC World)
    Total: £924.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-19 20:32 BST+0100

A MSI Tomahawk does not future-proof you more than a much more modest Asrock B450-Pro4. The quality of the VRMs on the MSI is better - but only barely. The only advantage of MSI I see is the ability to flash bios without CPU.

Skip the RGB memory and use a standard Corsiar 2x8GB DDR4 3200 for AMD Ryzen - 60 GBP at amazon.co.uk right now.

At this day and age I would skip HDD completely. Reputable 1TB SSD can be got for less than 100 pounds. Get one and expand when you start running out of space. Or just go with a decent 1TB NVME - WD Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Here's a possible combination:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qQXMsk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£159.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£60.14 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£97.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card (£389.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.95 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £921.06

Specced out just for performance, not aesthetics so you may want to look at the parts.
    Few changes I made to consider
    1. Didn't include an aftermarket cooler as the max headroom seemed to be 149mm for a cpu cooler (I'm guessing the case is the restriction so you may want to change that but if you're dead set on that case you'll have to find a lower profile cooler than the likes of the 212EVO). Most coolers are <160mm. Ryzen runs a bit hot
    2. Motherboard is the asrock board mentioned previously in this thread. Should perform perfectly well with a 6 core part but could be changed for aesthetics. Ram also comes in red if you want that instead of grey but if you want RGB that's your choice.
    3.Just went for 1TB of nvme storage. Should be plenty at first and if you fill it up that mobo has a second m.2 slot.
    4. Upped the GPU to a very good model Rx 5700XT. Shouldn't have driver problems now as most have been patched. It offers a decent performance boost over the RTX 2060S and even more over the non super. If you're looking for somewhere to save money and put in something else such as aesthetics that's where you will have to cut back

EDIT: VERY IMPORTANT! If you go with that mobo you will have to enter some code on CCL and it will be delivered updated to the latest bios so it will support your CPU. The code is in the questions section of the MOBO's page. Costs like a tenner or something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

On the 5700XT - now that I have a working one I'm pretty impressed with it. No issues so far and I've been using it a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

On the 5700XT - now that I have a working one I'm pretty impressed with it. No issues so far and I've been using it a lot!

Did you replace it? I still want mine replaced or refunded but it's well past Amazons' return but still under 1 year. Was just waiting for the new cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    Did you replace it? I still want mine replaced or refunded but it's well past Amazons' return but still under 1 year. Was just waiting for the new cards.

Just ordered another one. Last time I buy a second hand GPU from Adverts. A shame really had some decent deals over the years.

Advertisement