Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of buying a caravan

Options
  • 12-07-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a caravan and am aware of pitfalls of buying used caravan but cannot justify a new one. Can anyone recommend who I should use to carry out an assessment by an independent professional before purchasing? I'm based in the Midlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Gorteen wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a caravan and am aware of pitfalls of buying used caravan but cannot justify a new one. Can anyone recommend who I should use to carry out an assessment by an independent professional before purchasing? I'm based in the Midlands

Not sure if there is anyone that would do a check for u. I've just bought one. You need to firstly figure out your budget, then the layout that suits you i.e. how many berths, fixed bed, bunk beds etc. Once u figure out that search DD, adverts. Alot of people bad mouthing suppliers in the Kildare region, no experience with them so can't comment. You find 1 you like, go look and touch every single panel, roof, everything. If it's soft it's damp walk away. Alot of scammers out there at the moment looking for inexperienced purchaser's. By all accounts no come back from trade suppliers even if damp discovered. U can get a damp meter. It puts 2 holes into your panels but it does the job. Google is your friend and Facebook groups... I will say prices being charged in the last 2 months have jumped. Always better value in winter, prices may have relaxed by next year.. best of luck in your search

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm a member of a few FB groups where people buy and sell caravans. Be very careful. Lots of people putting posts up saying "Willing to buy anything, damp, damaged don't care". Then a week later they're selling a "perfect, no damp whatsoever" caravan for €2k more than they said they were willing to buy one for the previous week. If you're a member of these groups long enough you see the same people over and over.
    And also, don't pay a deposit until you actually see the caravan. Have heard of people paying for caravans that don't exist. As has been said, you'll get a better price if you can hang on a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Is it the same size as Fr. O'Rourke's caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We got ours last year at Newbridge caravans. We looked around but they had one that had a layout that suited us. Second year with it and no issues. You will pay a premium now for caravans as demand is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Got one early on in the year, middle of the road one for 6k didn't know much about them at the time but knew the lad that was selling it and he is fairly straight. Have heard some horror stories since. I wasn't that much into it but Herself got big into it and has it all set up. So a few things I have learned over last few months. Tow car look at what you have is it good enough to tow a caravan, they are handy enough to tow first trip or 2 and you will get more confident, have you the licence if not you have to keep the rig below 3500 kgs, go for the single axle, camp sites don't like to see you coming with a double axle. Storage and parking is another thing, we can park ours here at the side of house and we do often sit out in it on an evening. We are very pleased with our purchase, the way we looked at it we weren't going on any over seas holiday this year and we purchased the caravan instead and would be hoping to get about 10 years out of it if we mind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Caravans at the moment seem crazy money, the virus seems to have pushed the price up on most, I was going to buy but will hold off, I think better value next year

Is there any real merit to owning your own caravan? I have thought about it and reckon by the time I go to the trouble of buying it, hauling it 1/2 way across the country and then parking it up in a campsite somewhere, would it not be just as cheap to hire a caravan where I am going?

Is there any real merit to owning your own caravan? I have thought about it and reckon by the time I go to the trouble of buying it, hauling it 1/2 way across the country and then parking it up in a campsite somewhere, would it not be just as cheap to hire a caravan where I am going?

plus the storage of it for the rest of the year. Its fine in detached houses with gardens but in housing estates and developments it must be a pain to have most of your outdoor space taken up with a big lump of a caravan. More than likely you see it degenerating year after year as it is not used enough.

I have thought about it too but TBH I think I would just spend the money (if I decided to go down that route) on hiring a camper van, or buying a camper van. I wouldn't like the idea of lugging a caravan all over the countryside with long tailbacks building up behind me either. But each to their own. As a nation we don't seem to be into caravans or campers as much as UK.

We don't tow ours. The site that stores it does it for us. We use it most weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

I've a lovely one here in periwinkle blue. It was for me Ma

• Advertisement

We don't tow ours. The site that stores it does it for us. We use it most weekends

How does that work if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great time to sell a caravan a neighbor sold there one here for the same price he paid for it 4 years ago, a lady bought it over the phone and didn't even look at it. She sent down a deposit and coming to collect next week and heading off with it. She got lucky because it is spotless and well minded. But there is plenty heaps of ****ee out there so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

kerryjack wrote: »
    Great time to sell a caravan a neighbor sold there one here for the same price he paid for it 4 years ago, a lady bought it over the phone and didn't even look at it. She sent down a deposit and coming to collect next week and heading off with it. She got lucky because it is spotless and well minded. But there is plenty heaps of ****ee out there so be careful.

As I said earlier it's a seller's market. But a load of muck out there. Alot of people buying without doing research. I know of a fella that bought a 2 berth, for 5 of them. He thought they all came with bunks.. selling it again I think..

To make a caravan work you need to use it all over the summer. Using it for a week here a weekend there is pointless and as someone said the value of the van would fall with no use.. if you do use it regularly ie every weekend for summer, that's where the value is. Spending €60/80 for a pitch for a weekend to see somewhere in Ireland you haven't seen b4 is a cheap break, plus 2 days away from the rat race is good for the mind. It's not to everyone's taste and unfortunately people find out the costly way by buying a damp van.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With modest use a caravan pays its way in a few years.

Storage is key though. If you have storage out of the elements then the value in the caravan should remain.

We have our current van about 8-9 years. We typically used it for 3 weeks in France, plus maybe 5-6 weeks or weekends per year between Easter and Halloween.

I’d say in accommodation it’s probably saved us €2k a year.

We farm so I’d have a decent towcar anyway.

We have our own secure covered storage at home.

So our initial €6500 has done well.

It’s not a holiday for everyone though, family needs to be capable of getting on in small space.

Kids are older now and we plan to have a converted campervan on the road for next year, we feel that will suit our current needs better.

We’ve 8 nights booked in Achill in August which will likely be it’s last outing for us. I may sell on or just break it for parts for the camper conversion.

How does that work if you don't mind me asking?

He charges for towing. So we go to the same site mostly, he charges 20 euro for towing it. Stores it all year for us also.

Might take some lessons in the autumn for towing it if we go further

_Brian wrote: »
    With modest use a caravan pays its way in a few years.

Storage is key though. If you have storage out of the elements then the value in the caravan should remain.

We have our current van about 8-9 years. We typically used it for 3 weeks in France, plus maybe 5-6 weeks or weekends per year between Easter and Halloween.

I’d say in accommodation it’s probably saved us €2k a year.

We farm so I’d have a decent towcar anyway.

We have our own secure covered storage at home.

So our initial €6500 has done well.

It’s not a holiday for everyone though, family needs to be capable of getting on in small space.

Kids are older now and we plan to have a converted campervan on the road for next year, we feel that will suit our current needs better.

We’ve 8 nights booked in Achill in August which will likely be it’s last outing for us. I may sell on or just break it for parts for the camper conversion.

Great post, we will go down the same route once the kids get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

Here’s a link to a Caravan finder Site it’s UK Based and prices but At least you’ll get a feel for prices, layouts etc The search facility is excellent

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravans.html

He charges for towing. So we go to the same site mostly, he charges 20 euro for towing it. Stores it all year for us also.

Might take some lessons in the autumn for towing it if we go further

So if you had a caravan in Lahich for example, this guy will store it close by and tow it to Lahinch for you is it? Or can you tell him you are going to Ballybunion for the weekend and he'll tow it there? Sorry if I am missing something

So if you had a caravan in Lahich for example, this guy will store it close by and tow it to Lahinch for you is it? Or can you tell him you are going to Ballybunion for the weekend and he'll tow it there? Sorry if I am missing something

Yeah so ours is stored in Wicklow. He is 5 mins from the kids fav campsite so he tows it to there and knows where we like it to be pitched.
    He also go further for us, but obviously the further it is the more it costs

plus the storage of it for the rest of the year. Its fine in detached houses with gardens but in housing estates and developments it must be a pain to have most of your outdoor space taken up with a big lump of a caravan. More than likely you see it degenerating year after year as it is not used enough.

I have thought about it too but TBH I think I would just spend the money (if I decided to go down that route) on hiring a camper van, or buying a camper van. I wouldn't like the idea of lugging a caravan all over the countryside with long tailbacks building up behind me either. But each to their own. As a nation we don't seem to be into caravans or campers as much as UK.

Storage is a big deal. It controls your access to the van and lessens the convenience of owning it.

Ours is at home all the time. If we’re going away I’ll move it to the front door a few days in advance. That way we have a few days at our leisure to pack it up with clothes and of course food. On a typical week away we will make 5-5 dinners in the caravan so it saves big time on eating out. We’d typically have lunches out or being a picnic lunch.

As for renting a Motorhome instead, hire is typically €100-€150 a day plus campsite fees, plus diesel. So 10 day hire will quickly run you €1500-1800

Buying is even more expensive plus there is additional costs for cvrt, tax, insurance and maintenance.

€6-8k buys a decent caravan with many years useful life. Same money buys scrap regarding a Motorhome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

One thing I noticed with the caravan is you can't leave discreetly, like the world and there mother knows we are gone away for a few days when they see caravan gone from side of the house. Like go in and rob the place they are gone touring.

One funny aspect of owning a caravan, and I presume the same applies to a camper.

We’ve been away to so many great places both here and in France.

The moment I get in the caravan and sit down my brain switches into holiday mode. It could be chucking down outside and I get the holiday feeling straight off. Of course having the fridge already cold and stocked with beer does help.

Our kids didn’t want us lending it to anyone, far as they were concerned it was our private retreat on wheels, very personal space.

Ya we were the same had caravan pulled out on to back lawn all during lockdown and we had some beautiful weather and the fridge full of beer holiday mode all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

popa smurf wrote: »
    One thing I noticed with the caravan is you can't leave discreetly, like the world and there mother knows we are gone away for a few days when they see caravan gone from side of the house. Like go in and rob the place they are gone touring.

Buy a blow up Caravan to confuse them :-)

popa smurf wrote: »

That's why you invest in a good house alarm and a good security camera system.

Worth the money, easier life with no worries

Also Caravan can only be at your house for a certain amount of months

_Brian wrote: »
    One funny aspect of owning a caravan, and I presume the same applies to a camper.

We’ve been away to so many great places both here and in France.

The moment I get in the caravan and sit down my brain switches into holiday mode. It could be chucking down outside and I get the holiday feeling straight off. Of course having the fridge already cold and stocked with beer does help.

Our kids didn’t want us lending it to anyone, far as they were concerned it was our private retreat on wheels, very personal space.

Would never lend it, people would never look after it like you do

That's why you invest in a good house alarm and a good security camera system.

Worth the money, easier life with no worries

Also Caravan can only be at your house for a certain amount of months
    That news to me that you cant keep caravan at your own place 12 .months of year

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

This is from Dublin City Council website.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/ParkingCarsinFrontGardensAdvisoryBooklet.pdf

You may keep or store not more that one caravan, campervan or boat within the curtilage of your house. ... Furthermore, the caravan, campervan or boat must not be occupied as a dwelling while parked or stored, nor may it be left on the site for more than nine months in any year. These requirements are laid down in the Planning
    and Development Regulations 2001, as amended, and are designed
    to avoid disputes where neighbours object to the parking of caravans
    and large vehicles in front gardens. In this respect, it may be desirable
    to park your caravan, etc in the back garden in a place where it will not
    be incongruous or lead to a loss of amenity for you or your neighbour.

kerryjack wrote: »
    That news to me that you cant keep caravan at your own place 12 .months of year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

PhilipJ wrote: »
    This is from Dublin City Council website.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/ParkingCarsinFrontGardensAdvisoryBooklet.pdf

You may keep or store not more that one caravan, campervan or boat within the curtilage of your house. ... Furthermore, the caravan, campervan or boat must not be occupied as a dwelling while parked or stored, nor may it be left on the site for more than nine months in any year. These requirements are laid down in the Planning
    and Development Regulations 2001, as amended, and are designed
    to avoid disputes where neighbours object to the parking of caravans
    and large vehicles in front gardens. In this respect, it may be desirable
    to park your caravan, etc in the back garden in a place where it will not
    be incongruous or lead to a loss of amenity for you or your neighbour.

Probably just there to keep the indigenous rifraff at bay. We used have one and A few people I know had either them or camper vans - never any problems with that regulation - or indeed being used occasionally for overflow at parties.

OP - bit different and a bit more packing required but have you considered a tent trailer! Its like a pop up caravan that you can tow behind you. Not as handy in terms of just arriving and stepping in but might be available or less pricey & a novelty to have and use while the C-19 crisis goes in?

• Advertisement

Would never lend it, people would never look after it like you do

Yea.
    I told my sister that the insurance had a stipulation that it was only to be used by the owners or it would void the insurance.

Advertisement