Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2020, 21:37   #1
seashells2020

Advice on lightweight 2 berth caravan

Like many folks lately, I'm considering buying a lightweight (850kg-950kg max MRO) 2 berth used touring caravan. I like the Elddis Mistral ex300, and L-shaped lounge layouts in general. It will mostly be just me and a toddler for one or two nights, occasionally Mr. Seashells2020 will join us on longer adventures. I've done a fair amount of homework, but now I need some real-world advice please!

I currently drive a Skoda Fabia hatchback, with a max noseweight of only 50kg, is this realistic? Is any particular brand or style of tow bar better for hauling caravans? Any recommendations on an installer in Limerick or Galway?

I know prices are inflated in these strange times, and I've seen the posts about folks flipping damp caravans days after buying them. I'm seeing prices ranging from €700-12,000; what sort of price range is realistic for my purposes?

Besides checking for damp, looking at every last detail, and running a CRiS check, is there anything else I should do when buying? If I was to buy up North, do I need to do anything extra to bring it back into the Republic? I appreciate any recommendations, warnings, or advice!
Advertisement
26-07-2020, 10:36   #2
_Brian

Nothing needed to bring from the north, it’s just a glorified trailer really.

Make sure you see every appliance working.

Open and close all windows and skylights. Check catches etc.

Keep an eye on the floor, there can be a problem called delamination which weakens the floor in older vans.
Thanks from:
26-07-2020, 22:46   #3
dory

Unfortunately if you're looking at second hand vans, it seems smaller is more expensive. I love T@B 320s , Eriba Pucks, Freedom Caravans etc. They really hold their value though. People don't seem to want big, second hand caravans. I've seen a few 2 berths go up on the Facebook groups selling caravans, but they seem to go very fast. If I were going old I'd go Eriba or Freedom, and they're light to tow.
Thanks from:
27-07-2020, 13:22   #4
PhilipJ

Have a look at this website https://towcar.info/
Match up your car with the van you would like, it will give you a review on your car towing capabilities and towball weights etc.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion