Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving cost?

Options
  • 22-07-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to get a 35sq m L shaped area paved with porcelain tiles. We received a quote for the work today and were a bit shocked so are wondering if anyone could give an idea of what we could expect to pay. We do want a professional and are happy to pay higher than “handyman” rates but at the same time did not expect the quote we got. We had already received a price for the tiles / other materials ourselves so know how much of the quote relates to labour (appreciate that will cover insurance etc too but it still seems very expensive).

We really just want to know if we the quote we got is the going rate or if we should get more quotes or if we should accept we need to do it ourselves. It’s North Wicklow if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

What was the quote?

I suppose I’m hoping to hear people’s views / experiences of what would be reasonable without influencing their views by giving the price we’ve been quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would say two people would get that done in three days, four tops depending on access for removal of earth and delivery of new pavers. If you have a big back garden with only only access through the house this will slow things considerably. Worst case for labour would be 300 per person per day but you should be able to get for much nearer to 200.

You could reduce the quote by clearing the area yourself and having it reasonably level beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I got a patio put in 2 years ago. 70sqm of granite paving. L shaped with a wall about 3 blocks high around the L. Cost me 6k. The granite paving would have cost about 2500k if i bought myself. I had the blocks he used left over from the house.

He still had to but in a soak away for the run off , a french drain and a foundation for the wall and the concrete for it. Mini digger hire, sand, concrete for fixing the slabs and he put in two long steps up to my sliding door. His lads were there for over a week. The wall was left unplastered or capped.

I got a separate quote earlier in the year for something similar not the exact same, labor only and it was about 3.6k. I went with the second fella cos the first was available.

Hope this helps

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Has it to be dug out? Has the stuff to be taken away?does he need a digger? Or is it ready to pave without any prep, if its ready to go without any other prep work id say a labour only quote of around 2 grand plus vat, anything else is variable, it also depends where you are in the country, id say that sort of work in my area would cost around 1200 plus vat labour only

Hi. Thanks for all the replies. From reading this it looks like we did underestimate the cost a bit but his quote does still seem a bit high. Hopefully I can try to get something for somewhere in the middle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Friend got supply and fit granite paving earlier this year. He did a couple of block flower beds plus a couple of lights on walls. 7.5k.

Plus she had to wait a while for him to come as was booked out.

Wasnt interested in doing labour only, so I suppose it was materials, labour plus profit how the jobs was priced.

I'd be concerned about clearing area myself etc, if you not an expert at levelling etc then the thing ends up crooked and you have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for all the replies. From reading this it looks like we did underestimate the cost a bit but his quote does still seem a bit high. Hopefully I can try to get something for somewhere in the middle!

As this is a discussion forum and others with similar queries will be reading the thread, please post your quote and details of the job to give us an idea of the ballpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I’m looking to get a 35sq m L shaped area paved with porcelain tiles. We received a quote for the work today and were a bit shocked so are wondering if anyone could give an idea of what we could expect to pay. We do want a professional and are happy to pay higher than “handyman” rates but at the same time did not expect the quote we got. We had already received a price for the tiles / other materials ourselves so know how much of the quote relates to labour (appreciate that will cover insurance etc too but it still seems very expensive).

We really just want to know if we the quote we got is the going rate or if we should get more quotes or if we should accept we need to do it ourselves. It’s North Wicklow if that makes a difference.

Mine is a 40sqm and cost 4250. There was some drainage works required tho. Got other quotes at 5k+

If yours is straight forward and a simple half granite slab you are looking at 4K as a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

First things first , know what the first guy quoted for
    ... (So a breakdown of the quote )
    Second , does this guy have a good rep / was recommended ? Honestly ,if he's in demand you'll probably (with good reason) pay more ..
    Third , did you get 3 or 4 quotes ? It's really hard to say how much x job is gonna cost ... Some lads don't mind donkey work others will charge handsomely for the same , some will put their all into the finish and detailing others not so much ... So try check past work too (hopefully something similar to your own ) ,
    Fourth ... Good luck with it .. be diligent (you're spending a lot of money on this ) ...go with your gut ,be straight with whoever does the job and they'll probably be straight with you ... And enjoy your patio ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Toby22

Hi, I am waiting two years to get patio laid, guys I want have come highly recommended and as such are busy. I have all the slabs sand etc, area is levelled and ready for laying. Their labour is 200 each per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Toby22 wrote: »
    Hi, I am waiting two years to get patio laid, guys I want have come highly recommended and as such are busy. I have all the slabs sand etc, area is levelled and ready for laying. Their labour is 200 each per day.

You have the place levelled and slabs ready for two years?

It might be time to consider getting a new contractor to lay it.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The quote didn’t give a break down of costs but we already had an idea of the cost of materials from our own research. The site has standard semi d access (side entrance) and is fairly clear apart from one flower bed.

Based on the cost of materials that we had calculated (and I’m adding an excess on as I assume we probably missed something), the labour would have come in at approx 3,000. This is from a reputable landscaping company that has done work for people we know.

While we had no idea if this is what was reasonable for a 35 sq metre landscaping job, we did a lot of work on our house late last year, including an extension, and the price of the landscaping seemed out of kilter with what we paid for other jobs which was the reason for my post.

Again thanks for the replies. I now appreciate that I had probably underestimated what the cost would be but at the same time I think I’ll shop around d a bit more or else maybe rethink what we want so we can manage a diy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As someone who is crap at this type of work, I'd look at it a little different.

If there is someone with a really good reputation and is able to stand over their work, then I'd be willing to pay a premium for this.

You see from a post that someone is waiting 2 years for someone they think is good. The reason they are waiting is that it is not worth it for the supplier to do their work so they will be forever at the end of the pile.

Ive seen some shocking reviews of gardening and paving people and when people try to cut corners or dont check their recommendations.

This costs the same again to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

3k is a lot for labour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

rje66 wrote: »
    3k is a lot for labour only.

Depends on where in the country they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Depends on where in the country they are

It's a lot for dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Toby22

Hi,
    My project relates to an old cottage with very old granite and sandstone, hence I am willing to wait.

Advertisement