Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Qualified Primary Teacher

Options
  • 12-08-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was born in the UK and qualified as a primary teacher here 10 years ago, and have been working as a mainstream teacher in a primary school ever since.

My spouse is Irish and has recently received a job offer in Ireland. We are looking at moving to Ireland in early 2021.

I know about the Irish Language Requirement, and have begun learning Irish.

What I am wondering is what is a realistic timescale for me to be able to pass the language requirement? And whether I will realistically find any long-term work in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dara10

You could teach in a private primary school/junior school. They are mainly in Dublin. There is a list on schooldays.ie
    You could work as a special needs assistant in a school. There is no Irish language requirement for that.

Sorry I can't advise on how long it would take to learn Irish to the standard required.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

You could probably get work as an SET in a mainstream school or a teacher in a special school or special class attached to a mainstream school.
    Timescale- depends on how good you are at picking up the language! Sorry but I only know of people who did it after learning Irish in school.

Advertisement