Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2020, 12:08   #31
Jimbob1977

Flancrest Enterprises
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 12:09   #32
Pawwed Rig
Category Moderator

Is the FAI considered a company?
30-07-2020, 12:10   #33
topper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.
No - that's one bet I will not make.

The environmental thing is a concern limited to a small segment of middle class women who never shopped much in Penneys anyway. This cohort is massively over-represented in the journalism sector.

The vast majority of girls out there don't give a damn. They want cheapest clothes known to humanity; they want them here and they want them now.

Exhibit A: the covid re-opening queue videos.
30-07-2020, 12:37   #34
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tetrarch View Post
Tesla
Tesla will be far bigger in ten years
30-07-2020, 12:46   #35
OSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftofGab View Post
Offices still use desktops. Plus people working from home are also buying desktops. There's still an industry for them. Might be shrinking but still there.
Many do, many don't. Haven't been in an office that has anything but laptops for 10+ years at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese whospers View Post
Distilled Media.:
Hasn't existed for a few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
I'd say car companies look particularly vulnerable to changing trends.
GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler have fundamentally massive problems. Parts of them may be semi profitable still but not enough to stave off long term decline.
This would be my bet. The smaller car companies that don't have the capital to invest in the R&D for Electric cars and emissions compliant ICE cars will dwindle quickly. The likes of Mitsubishi, Fiat Chrysler, Subaru and even the likes of Renault and Nissan.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 12:52   #36
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.
Yet on good days , both Mary St and O Connell street branches take in over a million euros each .
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 13:02   #37
CrankyHaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Tesla will be far bigger in ten years

Could go either way, enormous potential and vision but serious issues well documented by the FT for years now. So Elon will either be the Henry Ford of the 21st Century or its John Delorean.
(3) thanks from:
30-07-2020, 13:05   #38
YellowBucket

Tesla is hard to call. It’s still very much a tech bubble company that’s only beginning to deliver serious scale of product and a lot of big, established luxury and mainstream brands will be in that space in a big way in the next few years.
30-07-2020, 13:22   #39
completedit

I notice Elon Musk's stock falling a bit- More people sort of realizing he's a complete benny. A lot of Tesla's hype is the cult of the CEO. Tesla revolutionized people's perception of the electric car but it might go either way.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 13:34   #40
AMKC

It was IBM I was trying to think of. Forgot all about Gatway. I remember they had some shops in some shopping centres around Dublin too.
30-07-2020, 13:34   #41
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tetrarch View Post
I have four desktop PCs: 2008; 2016; 2020; and another being built.
My laptop is in a cupboard in the kitchen, and has been for a few years.
If you have a desktop you still need a laptop where as the laptop can do both jobs.

I was using both an iMac and MacBook at work for a while there and in the end while the iMac is lovely to work on its a nuisance when you are up and down from meetings and calls etc that you can’t just undock and have all your stuff open etc but instead have to open up what you want on the MacBook etc. Same going home if you want to do some work at home you have to go opening the stuff again and worrying about conflicts on documents of still open on the desktop etc.

A large high quality screen to connect you laptop to is the job really, also have the advantage of having a second screen automatically in this way as you have the laptop screen also.
(2) thanks from:
30-07-2020, 13:34   #42
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBucket View Post
Tesla is hard to call. It’s still very much a tech bubble company that’s only beginning to deliver serious scale of product and a lot of big, established luxury and mainstream brands will be in that space in a big way in the next few years.
the traditional car companies are playing catch up with TESLA , regardless of whether the brand is over hyped , it has completely changed the game and put the rest on the backfoot
30-07-2020, 13:40   #43
TheValeyard

I'd say the Tyrrell Corporation will be big in a few years time.
30-07-2020, 13:54   #44
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
If you have a desktop you still need a laptop
Why? Where I work we access the system using smart cards. If I want to work elsewhere or present from my PC I simply take the card with me to wherever I need to be, plug it into the card reader there and use the keyboard and mouse at that desk. Working from home I plug a card reader into a USB port on my desktop and work away as if I were in the office. A laptop isn't needed in the office and at home I could use one but I use the desktop out of personal preference.
30-07-2020, 14:33   #45
road_high

Tesla are an odd one, defo more in the techie cult sphere- far as I know they've never made any serious money but yet are valued more than Toyota. The brand is valuable though and has establsihed itself as a (wealthy) household name with cachet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion