Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Does the superyacht lifestyle appeal to you?
Yes 33 44.00%
No 42 56.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

31-07-2020, 22:47   #31
Niner leprauchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
Unless you have your own airport or you only fly to very small airports you still need to queue and put up with security. Think you still need to book in advance to some extent with a private jet, create a flight plan and all that good stuff.
They have their own VIP entry. They don't stand with us peasants
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 23:40   #32
Strumms

I’ve met a good few captains, chefs, barmen/girls, general hands in the irishbars down the south of France. The common thing I’ve been told seems to be... hard work but really good wages.

A good boss will even on your night off, throw you a couple of hundred quid as you hit the town. These are mostly bonafide millionaires or not far off so keeping the troops happy by putting your hand in your pocket for a grand so the folks can go have a bit of fun and shake off cabin fever is the done thing.
31-07-2020, 23:45   #33
The Belly

Quote:
If you picked up the 49.5 million or made it big as a YouTuber(tm) or you sold your cloud-based startup to Jeff Bezos for a few 100m, would you be tempted?

It's in vogue these days to pretend you're bothered about the fact that they burn a fair drop o'daysul but after you park your Tesla Model whatever at the airport and hop on a plane nobody really has a clue where you're gone and if you're cruising around the med or some other place in a superyacht they won't know.

Just from looking at Marinetraffic I get the impression a lot of superyacht owners just go around in circles on in med and hang around the usual party haunts and posh spots. Was watching a documentary a while back about some English dood who already had a yacht that was quite super and he was commissioning a brand new one for about 50 mil because he felt he was growing out of the old one. This kind of craic wouldn't really interest me but I wouldn't mind a smaller boat with plenty of range for visiting places in the absolute backarse of nowhere.

Tis crazy the amount of money you can spend on these yokes if you want. An entire euromillions jackpot just for one boat if you want plus all the running costs

“If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it. It's cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by The Belly; 31-07-2020 at 23:48. Reason: A nicer way of saying it
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 01:08   #34
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

you can pick up a second hand oil rig supply vessels for a million or two

Handles the roughest seas , has a crane and big flat deck at the back. Plonk down a marquee or caravan or helicopter or even an OT-64 SKOT 8×8 Amphibious Armoured Personnel Carrier for when you want to take a trip to the shops.
01-08-2020, 01:12   #35
Bit cynical

Quote:
Just from looking at Marinetraffic I get the impression a lot of superyacht owners just go around in circles on in med and hang around the usual party haunts and posh spots.
The boats might circle around but the owners normally direct the yacht to be at a certain place on a certain day then they fly down to meet it where it is moored. It is fairly rare for the owner to sail on the yacht particularly on long voyages.
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 01:15   #36
joeguevara

Btw as per op, if you only won 49 mil or got a couple of hundred mil you couldn’t afford a super yacht.
01-08-2020, 01:22   #37
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
I'd have a private jet over a private yacht.

I think I'd be wary of even being a guest on a super yacht because of the implication.
Uh ok, you had me going for the first part but the second part kinda threw me?
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 01:23   #38
joeguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
Uh ok, you had me going for the first part but the second part kinda threw me?
Always sunny in Philadelphia reference

https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 01:35   #39
Atlantic Dawn

When someone registers one in an Irish port I will respect them.
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 01:46   #40
StupidLikeAFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffalox View Post
I was in a place a few years ago where loads of fancy yachts berth and as I walked along checking them out I was "meh", "blech", "nah", "uh uh", absolutely zero to covet in the big uncomfortable plastic lumps.
I'd say the lads on the boats were devestated
01-08-2020, 13:03   #41
Strumms

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts-for-sale
01-08-2020, 13:14   #42
Mad_maxx

no but i would buy a private jet
(2) thanks from:
01-08-2020, 14:08   #43
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Same, you could fly somewhere in 3 hours, or be stuck at sea for 23 hours, to get to the same place.
01-08-2020, 14:27   #44
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Same, you could fly somewhere in 3 hours, or be stuck at sea for 23 hours, to get to the same place.
Do you guys not like airports or something? I think for a lot of people, the airport is an exciting place. Even when flying somewhere dull for work, like Liverpool, I find the whole process of flying enjoyable. Even if only to spot the planes, especially if you fly out if Dublin before lunchtime.

That's why I don't get the appeal of a private jet. You still have to go through passport controls, the only substantive difference is you don't have to queue, and have slightly more comfort on board (these benefits are hardly worth millions of euro).

Give me a yacht bobbing on the azure blue waters off Malta or Antibes, or Lough Derg, any day.
01-08-2020, 14:34   #45
Rockbeast2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Give me a yacht bobbing on the azure blue waters off Malta or Antibes, or Lough Derg, any day.
A 65ft Dutch barge on Lough Derg would be living the dream for me!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion