Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Does the superyacht lifestyle appeal to you?
Yes 30 42.86%
No 40 57.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

23-07-2020, 23:53   #1
Ubbquittious

Would you buy a Superyacht?

If you picked up the 49.5 million or made it big as a YouTuber(tm) or you sold your cloud-based startup to Jeff Bezos for a few 100m, would you be tempted?

It's in vogue these days to pretend you're bothered about the fact that they burn a fair drop o'daysul but after you park your Tesla Model whatever at the airport and hop on a plane nobody really has a clue where you're gone and if you're cruising around the med or some other place in a superyacht they won't know.

Just from looking at Marinetraffic I get the impression a lot of superyacht owners just go around in circles on in med and hang around the usual party haunts and posh spots. Was watching a documentary a while back about some English dood who already had a yacht that was quite super and he was commissioning a brand new one for about 50 mil because he felt he was growing out of the old one. This kind of craic wouldn't really interest me but I wouldn't mind a smaller boat with plenty of range for visiting places in the absolute backarse of nowhere.

Tis crazy the amount of money you can spend on these yokes if you want. An entire euromillions jackpot just for one boat if you want plus all the running costs

Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2020, 23:55   #2
Obese Man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
If you picked up the 49.5 million or made it big as a YouTuber(tm) or you sold your cloud-based startup to Jeff Bezos for a few 100m, would you be tempted?
The lot. Super yacht. Coke. Hookers.
23-07-2020, 23:59   #3
Feisar

Nah, I genuinely wouldn't have the interest in it.

Edit - I'm lucky my dream commercial items are really very achievable.
(3) thanks from:
24-07-2020, 00:01   #4
Atlantic Dawn

They cost so much money initially, you then have to factor in a running cost of circa 10% of the initial cost per year to run them. Would be far cheaper to rent one for the few weeks a year you would use them.
24-07-2020, 00:04   #5
CBear1993

You’d wonder does dan bilzerian ever get bad days. Sick of the drugs, endless prozzies and high roller life.

Can’t be all it looks like over social media. Had heard he came from a rich family.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-07-2020, 00:06   #6
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
I'd just buy a regular yacht. I'd call it something classy for sure, like 'Dirty Oar' or 'How Nauti'. Then I'd make everyone call me Captain, or Admiral or something, even my own family. They'd get sick of me after a while, but they'd have to feel sorry for me because of my fake wooden leg and years spent guarding the lake.
24-07-2020, 00:10   #7
KissMeArse

Nope, I wouldn't even buy a normal small boat if I had the money. A fella I used to work with who had a boat once told me having a boat was like standing under a cold shower slipping $50 notes down the drain
(2) thanks from:
24-07-2020, 00:11   #8
Atlantic Dawn

Most of the superyachts are registered in Cayman Islands (George Town) through various tax loopholes, you will have to look very hard to find any registered in the home country of any rich 'owner'.
24-07-2020, 00:16   #9
Rhys Essien

There was two of them in Cork harbour last summer, one called ‘Air’ worth €100m and the other was ‘Le Grand Bleu’ worth €150m. You’d have to be in the Billionaire club to keep them running.

Something small for around €5m would do me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-07-2020, 00:20   #10
afatbollix

You have two good days when you have a boat

The day you bought it

And

The day you sell it
24-07-2020, 00:29   #11
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by afatbollix View Post
You have two good days when you have a boat

The day you bought it

And

The day you sell it

You saying all the mad alcohol fuelled sex parties in between are no good?
24-07-2020, 06:27   #12
Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I read recently, that the winner of the Jamaican lottery wanted to hide their identity (good idea in a country as violent as Jamaica tbh), so they decided to collect their winnings dressed as Darth Vader!

How many people own a full Darth Vader costume?

I'd like to think I'd be a bit smarter than that guy... so no Darth Vader costumes and no yachts either. I'll go under the radar and avoid drawing attention to my new found wealth. (So yeah I'll buy a submarine rather than a yacht!)
24-07-2020, 06:42   #13
Oranage2

Some really nice boats for 500k and under, and you wouldn't need crew to man it.

Or you could charter a 4 bedroom super yacht for 50k a day fully crewed, so a week would be like 350k

Much cheaper than buying one and paying Harbour fees, staff salaries, maintance fees, insurance etc
24-07-2020, 07:09   #14
Eggs For Dinner

Nice 2 berth speedboat for coastal use would do me nicely. Hug the coast, pull in to a random harbour, go ashore for a feed and some pints, then watch the stars from the deck before bed.
(3) thanks from:
24-07-2020, 07:11   #15
Gruffalox

Yachts are the least attractive of ostentatious items. I was in a place a few years ago where loads of fancy yachts berth and as I walked along checking them out I was "meh", "blech", "nah", "uh uh", absolutely zero to covet in the big uncomfortable plastic lumps.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion