Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Boxes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

obezyana wrote: »
    You havent stated anything about Waterford and your pretty ignorant by making assumtions about me. The TV Sat Terrestrial trade is something i know quite well actually :) so come down off that horse your riding. :)
    And you probably have many satisfied customers. But Conditional Access systems and their development is not really the TV/Sat/Terrestrial trade. And the theory upon which all cardsharing is based was developed right here in Waterford.

http://www.google.ca/patents/US7436953

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im very surprised sky havent pulled the plug on cardsharing already. i wonder how long more it ll go on. forums will explode the day it happens. im sure lads are setting themselves up with cable carding sharing to prepare for it.

Sky are trying their best but as with everything things can always be gotten around at some point. People forget or dont know that Sky could possibly obtain the users ip address and bring proceedings against them. There has been a couple of cases in Ireland already with one case being where the accussed had to pay Sky 40k in costs. He was an installer from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

obezyana wrote: »
    Sky are trying their best but as with everything things can always be gotten around at some point. People forget or dont know that Sky could possibly obtain the users ip address and bring proceedings against them. There has been a couple of cases in Ireland already with one case being where the accussed had to pay Sky 40k in costs. He was an installer from Dublin.

ah yea im keeping an eye on it. i dont think sky would bother too much with most end users as i dont think it would be cost effective to chase them. im sure theyre more interested in the lads running the servers. heard about that chap in dublin alright but sure theres plenty of them around. wouldnt like to be looking at a 40k bill though and a potential stint in mountjoy. we all should be really using vpns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Yeah Sky want the source but will prosecute the user if caught. Personally i dont care if some one card shares, professionally id never ever recommend it or even mention it to anybody.

Anyho enough about card sharing it is throwing things off topics and the thread will be shut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im very surprised sky havent pulled the plug on cardsharing already. i wonder how long more it ll go on. forums will explode the day it happens. im sure lads are setting themselves up with cable carding sharing to prepare for it.
    Sky upgraded their smartcards a few years ago to implement some countermeasures. The problem from an broadcaster/operator point of view is the cost of upgrade versus the loss to piracy. A compromise like readily available pirate smartcards is a severe danger to a broadcaster because anyone can use them and all they require is an IRD or box. That is why Sky, having been pirated heavily during the 1990s, was so reluctant to licence its conditional access module and software. Once the main players were taken out of the smartcard piracy business, a changing legal framework (the EU Conditional Access directive and other local legislation) and a number of technological countermeasures made smartcard piracy more expensive, the only option was a cardsharing model. The problem with cardsharing as a business is that the more successful it becomes, the higher the chance of detection.

The Pay TV operators originally lobbied the EU to make piracy at a personal level an offence however the EU commission and the parliament, in the directive, decided to hit the distribution chain rather than the individual.

As long as it is not a major problem for Sky and other providers, it will be treated as a kind of legal housekeeping with the odd distributor or network operator getting prosecuted to keep others in line. The current legal framework is very friendly for operators like Sky but the costs of a prosecution, the likely recovery of lost subscriptions revenue and legal costs would always be factored into the decision on whether to prosecute any cardsharing network provider.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Seriously lads, ye have gone way off topic here, I'm calling a halt to this thread now, if it was in the satellite forum it would have been shut ages ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement