Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phatkev's Music Walrus

Options
  • 29-05-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus ?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category. This Wlarus will be judged by phatkev

Why am I doing this ?

Having studied music in Uni and spending the best part of a decade in the music industry, I found myself really falling out of love with it, so much so that I changed careers for my own sanity. But fear not, I’ve got my grove back and like everyone else that runs one of these I’m really interested in getting the chance to listen to some stuff that I wouldn’t typically listen to.

What kind of music am I into ?

I’ll go with the cliche answer here and say I’ll listen to anything, from Death Metal to Jazz and hip hop to classical. I don’t want to say what would be my favourite bands/songs at the moment as I think it might influence peoples decisions. I think all my categories are pretty open ended from a genre point of view, so I'm hoping for a wide variety.

My Categories

1. Song title with a place name/geographical feature in it - Fairly simple, should be loads of songs that match this criteria

2. Non English speaking countries - So much incredible music gets ignored because its not sang in a persons mother tongue. I’ve started to try and listen to more international music and can safely say some of the artists at the top of my playlists don’t have a word of English
    (I know Rikand has already done this one but that was ages ago)

3. Women in Music - Looking through my playlists and the vast majority of them are male dominated. Help me improve the gender balance in my playlists by entering your favourite female fronted act

4. Isolation song - A song that gets you through isolation/describes your isolation

5. Irish Act - Ireland is bursting with musical talent, give me your favourite song by an Irish artist. Extra point up for grabs for artists I haven’t heard off

6. Teenage Angst - its great to go back to listen to some of the music that would have been on the go in our teenage years, as embarrassing as they might be!!. So give me something that was a staple on your record player/boombox/discman/minidisc/MP3 player ( I think Ive all bases covered there!!:pac:)

That's it for the categories. Please submit songs to me via PM, I’ll be listening to them mostly on Spotify so the Artist/song name should be enough. If there’s a particular version of a song you want me to listen to throw in a link to it. I’ll leave this open for a while and will update the deadline closer to the date. Id like to get a good few submissions to sink my teeth into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ah feck, I had two of these categories in mind (1 & 5) for my own Walrus... Well back to the drawing board for me...

Great categories though. Will have an entry in over the weekend for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many songs do we pm in each category?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How many songs do we pm in each category?
    one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I thought category 1, places, would be a good category the other day listening to a song with one in the title. Now I can't remember what that song was :pac:

I like the catergories Kev. I'll have a thinky but will definitely play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ah feck, I had two of these categories in mind (1 & 5) for my own Walrus... Well back to the drawing board for me...

Lassykk had used one I was thinking about as well (the Instrumental one), I replaced it with the 1st category. So what I'm sayin is you can blame lassykk:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No reason categories can't be re-used. The Irish one has come up several times now.

You'll have plenty of time, I'll leave it open for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

phatkev wrote: »
    Lassykk had used one I was thinking about as well (the Instrumental one), I replaced it with the 1st category. So what I'm sayin is you can blame lassykk:pac:

Happy to take the blame here :D

quickbeam wrote: »
    No reason categories can't be re-used. The Irish one has come up several times now.

Nah, because I'm up next, and don't want to use the same categories back-to-back. It's grand, I've already thought of several more replacement categories, so no big deal.

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    3. Women in Music - Looking through my playlists and the vast majority of them are male dominated. Help me improve the gender balance in my playlists by entering your favourite female fronted act

I'm assuming the unwritten rule here is that it can't be one of the 70 acts in Strawbs' tournament ;)

Looks good, I'll be submitting a PM.

A lot of potential entries I have for #2 might make an appearance in my SURLAW, so will need to have a think! Some interesting categories, hopefully will get an entry in before closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very interesting categories.

I already have 5 of the 6 selected - need to think number 3 a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Just to check for number 2, is it just bands from Non English speaking countries with foreign lyrics?

Or can any of these count for example?

Foreign band, no lyrics

Foreign band, english lyrics

Partly/wholly english band with foreign lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Me too

Songs Sent...

giphy.gif

osh wrote: »
    Just to check for number 2, is it just bands from Non English speaking countries with foreign lyrics?

Or can any of these count for example?

Foreign band, no lyrics

Foreign band, english lyrics

Partly/wholly english band with foreign lyrics

Yeah I'll be fairly lenient with all categories, I'd be ok with any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In. Some interesting categories here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

songs sent too.

Trying to decide on the Women in Music category, I realised how many great female vocalists are missing from the epic competition Strawbs organises!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm in

The lyrics for my isolation song were disturbingly accurate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entry in there

ShaneU wrote: »
    The lyrics for my isolation song were disturbingly accurate :eek:

I just thought of the perfect song for this round. Reading this comment I think there's a chance we've gone for the same one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm in - my foreign track will definitely be a love it or absolutely hate it track!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

PM sent. 2 kinda random ones. One is debatable, so I sent a backup - has a fantasy place in the title. My foreign song I think will appeal to football fans, but its so catchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Oh I'm so in for this

That’s Necro’s comp sorted. Now I concentrate on this one.

Thanks to everyone that has currently entered, we're currently at 12 participants. I'm going to be super busy for the next week or so, so I'm going to leave this open for submissions until Friday the 12th of June. I should have a good bit of time to get through them in the week following that

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Submitted mine.

Quite a bit of back and forth with some them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I should have mine submitted sometime over the weekend. I'm particularly torn between two songs for the last category.

Advertisement