Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who’s responsible for painting the apartment?

Options
  • 02-06-2020 10:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28

Moved out of an apartment two weeks ago, the landlord is withholding some of the deposit because there were spots above the window which needed to be repainted due to damp.

Who’s responsible for painting this? Is it me or does painting fall under “wear and tear”?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Blue bull

Derdwerker wrote: »
    Moved out of an apartment two weeks ago, the landlord is withholding some of the deposit because there were spots above the window which needed to be repainted due to damp.

Who’s responsible for painting this? Is it me or does painting fall under “wear and tear”?

I'm a landlord and unless the apartment is in really bad condition, I probably would hold something back. But if it's a few spots of damp/ wear and tear, I would always repair it myself. If he/she is going to re-let the apartment, the least they should be doing is freshen up the whole place anyway with a clean coat of paint. Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

We probably need more info.

How long did you live there?

Were the damp spots there when you moved in?

Had you notified the landlord about the damp issue before hand?

Were you drying clothes in the room to cause the damp issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

or you dried clothes in the room didn't open windows blocked vent?
    Show us the photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

It sounds to me as if there is a cold bridge issue associated with the window head, so could be existing construction related. If there is dampness elsewhere on the walls & ceiling then it could be related to drying clothes/blocked vent some photos would help

Advertisement